AC problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AC problem

Fan is blowing but not cooling. Went to add freon yesterday and still didnt cool. Gauges show low side is really low and high side is really high. I know a little bit about a lot of stuff but I dont know $h!t about air conditioners. Think I have a freon leak somewhere or there may be some blockage somewhere. My FIL has been trying to trouble shoot it, but he isnt sure whats wrong either. Got a guy coming out tomorrow to check it out. Yall give me a couple possible things to check for.......

Filter stopped up? Return air blockage? Evap coil frozen and needs to thaw out. If filter was stopped up it will cause the coil to freeze. It will take some time to thaw the unit out and replace filter.
    OR
    Blower motor not running on indoor unit. Could be the capacitor.

Comment

AC isn't EBH

Comment

Check the capacitor

Comment

Originally posted by elliscountyhog View Post
          Filter stopped up? Return air blockage? Evap coil frozen and needs to thaw out. If filter was stopped up it will cause the coil to freeze. It will take some time to thaw the unit out and replace filter.
          OR
          Blower motor not running on indoor unit. Could be the capacitor.
          Thanks. Return air seems to be good. Could be filter. Thx.

Comment

More info. I have been dealing with this issue off and on for almost 2 years. Every time it stops cooling we shoot some more freon in it and it runs fine for 6-8 months. This time adding freon didnt do nada........

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
              AC isn't EBH
              You sure?

Comment

We need some numbers of pressures and what type of refrigerant. When the compressor is running what are the high and low pressure readings.

Comment

Service valve?

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
                    AC isn't EBH
                    Dude, I dont know what EBH stands for.......??????

Comment

Originally posted by thegrouse View Post
                      We need some numbers of pressures and what type of refrigerant. When the compressor is running what are the high and low pressure readings.
                      My FIL had his gauges hooked up to it yesterday. On his set of gauges the low side was at 40 with the compressor running. Dont remember high side... maybe 200?

Comment

Find the leak, fix it, quit having to add refrigerant.

Comment

Originally posted by double bogey View Post
                          Find the leak, fix it, quit having to add refrigerant.
                          I have maxed out my knowledge capacity of finding the leak. Last summer I bought some foam coil cleaner and the little combs to clean everything up. It wasnt in bad shape at all but I cleaned all I knew to clean. Sprayed some soapy water on just about every inch of the outside unit and the attic unit. I couldnt find a leak anywhere. Did that more than once. I am pretty sure it has a leak, but I cant locate it.

Comment

I your low side didn't go up when adding refrigerant, you either have bad airflow/ice on coil, or a restriction in the flow of refrigerant (metering device, filter drier, kinked line, etc.)

Comment

Leak, diy repairs = non-condensables

Comment

Working...
                              X