Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mickey Thompson ATZ or cooper SST

Comment

I have had BFG and Nitto terra's and now on Wrangler Duratrac and I like them the best.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkins View Post
        I've been hearing good things about the Cooper ST maxx. Supposed to be tough, and chip resistant on gravel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
        I run Cooper STT Maxx and love them!! They are not as loud as the MT (although I love the noise!!).

However the Cooper AT3 is a great AT tire. I've seen 1/2 ton trucks go thru stuff they shouldn't have and glide right thru riding on AT3's.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
          I've had two different mechanics check it out (including a Toyota guy) and both told me the drivetrain is fine - the problem is the tires are cupped-out. (plenty of tread left on them)
          So what did they identify the problem to be that caused the irregular wear pattern?

Isn't cupping from bad shocks, balancing, bad alignment, or running low tire pressure?

Would be a waste of another set of tires if you still have a problem.

Was it all 4?
          Last edited by justintyme8303; 02-16-2018, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chef View Post
            I run Cooper STT Maxx and love them!! They are not as loud as the MT (although I love the noise!!).

However the Cooper AT3 is a great AT tire. I've seen 1/2 ton trucks go thru stuff they shouldn't have and glide right thru riding on AT3's.
            I like the AT3s on my personal truck. But my work truck where I drive lots of gravel lease roads I'm averaging about 12k miles a set of tires.

These have about 8k miles on them. Why I'm looking at the st maxx.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkins View Post
              I like the AT3s on my personal truck. But my work truck where I drive lots of gravel lease roads I'm averaging about 12k miles a set of tires.

These have about 8k miles on them. Why I'm looking at the st maxx.

I have gravel driveway and travel a ton of gravel roads at higher speeds than I will admit and my STT Maxx have no pitting... Heck, most of them still have the little rubber thingys sticking out of the side of the tire!!! I have just under 10K on them since they were purchased in late October.

Comment

Got Cooper AT-3's on my Taco. They have been really good tires. Had some on a 3/4 dodge & they went through stuff I didn't think they would. The ST Maxx is what I am running on my 3/4 now. Would be great on the Taco ,but it is a heavy tire,so you will lose a little gas mileage. I might go with them on my Taco when the 3's wear out.

Comment

Originally posted by Electrican View Post
                  Cooper discovery ATP.
                  This is my go to. I just got my second set. I put 57,000mi on the first set and only rotated them 3x's (not recommended). Drive from Bedford to Plano every day. Only noticed road noise the last 3500mi.

Comment

Cooper sst is what I have run for years on my 4x4’s. My son needed a set for his 3/4 87 Chevy 4x4 and to save some money so we tried an off brand that I have never heard. Dakota A/T 2 Definity. 31x10.50. We have had some good success with them so far. Bout 30k on them now. They ride good and not much noise. Do pretty good off road so far. Not too aggressive. I would buy another set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by justintyme8303 View Post
                      So what did they identify the problem to be that caused the irregular wear pattern?

Isn't cupping from bad shocks, balancing, bad alignment, or running low tire pressure?

Would be a waste of another set of tires if you still have a problem.

Was it all 4?
                      Yep, there is a reason they are cupping, usually shocks.

Comment

I got the shocks replaced fairly recently but I guess the damage was already done. Well over 100k on the truck before I swapped them out.

Comment

I have KO2s on my truck, you have to rotate them often or they will wear irregularly.

Comment

On my tacomas I have had the Hankook dynapro AT's Good tire and cheap. got about 50k out of them. Ive had two sets. They get a little louder as they wear.

Right now i have Toyo AT2's Good tire and quiet, not real cheap. They have a 60k warranty, but they aren't going to make it that far. 45k on them now.

I am probably going to try the Falken wild peak AT next I have heard good things about them. Look great, and they are pretty cheap.

I stay with 4 ply because they are light and ride good on our little trucks. Keeps the MPG's up.

If I wanted to go with a heavy tire I would go with the Cooper ST maxx because they are not supposed to be too loud and look great, but a 10 ply on a Tacoma will ride rough and hurt your MPG's.

Comment

Originally posted by Electrican View Post
                              Cooper discovery ATP.
                              This.

I had a set with 50k when I ran over part of a road barricade and destroyed one so I just had Discount do all four since they were replacing the shredded one. I got rid of that set with 20k miles on them but only because I changed over to the STT Pro because they're a better mud tire.

The ATP's aren't overly aggressive and are one of the best road mannered AT tires I've ever ru. They do exceptionally well in the rain on pavement and they do well off road in sand and dry dirt, not so well i the mud though.

Comment

Nitto Ridge Grappler

Comment

Working...
                                X