Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great buck, congrats!!!

Comment

Congrats Jnet! Bet you had a good videographer.

Comment

Congratulations

Comment

Yes Ma'am!! Very nice deer! Don't think there'll be anyone sayin' tha'd a give 'im a-nuth'r year neither! He looks old enough, he might a got off the ark!

Congratulations! Now tell your "guide" you want to shoot a "real" deer... one, them what's got a mesquite stump growin' up side down out his hedd!

Can't wait to read the story... sounds like from the comments, it's a good 'un!

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Well done, hell of a mature buck.

Comment

Thanks everyone for all the sweet thoughts. It was a very exciting hunt for me. I forgot about the excitement that rushes through your body when you let the arrow go. I think I am still shaking. What a great feeling!

Comment

Congrats! Great buck

Comment

Great buck, congrats.

Comment

Great deer for a great lady!

Congratulations!

Comment

Since teachers/moms dont typically have enough time to post up a proper recap (and since I'm sitting in a Krivo ground blind not seeing any deer ) I figure I'll post up my version of the story...

We went to CDLc for a weekend hunt. We arrived Friday night and Hannah decided to sleep in on Saturday morning, which allowed me to be guide/videographer for Jnet at #11, a box (Atascosa, I believe) with bow windows that overlooks a feed pen and an open pasture. It's typically a good spot for late season deer activity.

We had a couple of small bucks and a few does that in early. Then, we spotted a mature buck coming across the pasture from the north. At first glance he appeared to be narrow in the mid section, but as soon as Jnet looked at him through the binocs she said "He's OLD!" I took a quick look and told her to be ready to shoot.

He came straight in to the feeder pen and started eating under the feeder.

I ranged him at 32 yards, which is outside of our comfort level for a deer. He was relaxed, so we patiently waited.

He finally started working toward the corner of the feed pen where we had corned just outside the corner post. O was filming as he angled toward us, and then I saw Jnet draw. I knew she had drawn too early, as the buck hadn't fully committed. He jumped across the panel, but was behind a bush. Jnet remained at full draw as he turned and started easing toward a shooting lane. Then he stopped, looked around and then reversed, walking the opposite direction where Jnet couldn't get a shot. She finally had to let down. The buck stopped and looked our way, I thought he was going to leave, but he turned again and started waking back toward the shooting lane. As he went behind the same bush I told Jnet to draw. He was still moving as he entered the lane so I gave a "meh" to try to stop him. Although he slowed, he was still moving when Jnet tripped the release. The arrow sailed several inches above the deer's back, center-punching the tpost behind him!

He trotted to the opposite side of the pen and looked around, trying to figure out what had happened. Then he nervously walked away back across the pasture from where he came.

Jnet was frustrated, knowing she had rushed the shot and blown a perfect opportunity. After a few minutes, she decided she was ready to leave.

Saturday afternoon, Hannah needed me to guide her, so we went to a nearby ground blind at #10, while Jnet returned to #11 in hopes of another opportunity.

Hannah and I had a group of hogs that came in twice, but got nervous each time only a step or two out of her shooting lane. Jnet was sending text updates of the young deer she was seeing.

20 minutes before dark, she texted that the buck was in the pasture, well out of shooting range. Apparently he closed the distance quickly, as I received another text moments later that he was under the feeder! I figured he'd stay there until it was too dark, so I advised Jnet not to spook him if she couldn't get a shot, knowing she'd possibly have another chance the following morning.

It was only a minute or so later that I got a text that she had shot! Hannah and I wrapped up our hunt and left everything in the blind so we could rush to #11!

Jnet was still a nervous wreck when we arrived! She had found blood on the fence behind where the deer was standing, but none on the ground. She and Hannah went back to the truck to get her boots while I investigated the scene.

I found good blood quickly (I had a better light) and took up the trail. It was a heavy trail and I couldn't help but to keep following. I got just inside the brush line across the pasture and saw the white belly and antlers sticking up! I let out a WHOOP and Hannah came running!

Jnet came behind on the Ranger, not realizing that I had already found it. I didn't realize Hannah was filming with her phone (ugh, Snapchat!) but captured the moment Jnet came around the corner and saw her first archery buck!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SOXYCz0Qu4"]Jnet Sees Buck - YouTube[/ame]

We took a few field pics (with the best lighting we had available...

I gutted the deer and posed it in the cooler for more proper LDPs on Sunday morning!

To borrow combined phrases from Casey and Les, I'm so proud of my Trophy Doe for making a great shot on a beautiful buck! While part of me is disappointed that I couldn't be there with her to film the shot, I'm proud that she was able to do it all on her own.

She had the camera rolling, but the buck stepped just out of frame before she shot. I'm still going to piece together a video with the footage from the morning along with what she captured.

Congratulations again, sweetheart!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          My Flickr Photos

Comment

How awesome is that!! Man, my heart started to race just reading along! Congratulations to huntress and guide!! Y'all dun goood!

Comment

Congrats on your first buck!! Great story and memory

Comment

Awesome! Congrats Jnet

Comment

Working...
                                X