Snairs??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snairs??

Anyone use snairs to control coyotes? i hate the thought of accidentally catching a deer. Any tips would be appropriated. Thx

My buddies down in Texas use them all the time. Set them where's pigs have rooted under fences.

You'll catch hogs and coyotes that way. They do anyways. If you catch a deer........Get to it while it's still fresh??? Other than that I don't know.

Comment

Nope. Ain't gonna do it.

TTT

Comment

I have snared a few. I prefer foot traps. If you check foot traps every morning and night, you can easily release a deer.

If you put it on a hole in the fence, anything that goes through there will be killed.
        Last edited by stinkbelly; 10-24-2017, 06:29 AM.

Comment

Snares work great for yotes
          Just place them in the crossings where your camera shows only varmints can go they the small dug out crossings.

BP

Comment

Use them everyday.

Comment

I used them lots of times. Like others said holes at the bottom of fences work great. There is no guarantee your won't catch a deer though. I quit using them for that reason and only set foot traps now

Comment

I've used them a bunch in S. Tx. They are very effective but you can't keep putting them in the same place as the coyotes will eventually get used to them. You will catch a deer every now and then but there are ways to help avoid it.

1. Don't put them under a crossing that is "large." Coyotes are smaller and lower to the ground than a deer. If I saw a well used crossing but thought to myself "well, that looks like a place deer travel" then I avoided it.
                2. You can buy or equip your snares with deer stops. This will reduce, if not eliminate, leg catches on deer.
                3. Check your snares routinely. I think I was 50/50 on releasing deer vs finding them dead & 1/2 eaten by coyotes

Also, you have to remember, you may catch 1 or 2 deer over the course of a deer season but how many deer does a coyote kill over than same time? More than 1 or 2 I'd bet. So it's a net win for the deer population.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                  Nope. Ain't gonna do it.

TTT
                  Snares

Comment

If you find an opening big enough for a deer to crawl through you can use "guide" sticks. Small pieces of hog panel work good to shrink the opening. You can use limbs stuck in the ground as well. Even a short t-post on each side will work. Close it up to where a deer can't get through. The object is to guide the coyote into the "snair."

Comment

Originally posted by Lawhunter View Post
                      Snares

It was just a matter of time. Someone had to be "that guy"

Comment

have to admit.. when i saw the screen name ..and "snairs" (SIC).. my first thought was.. geezus... what exactly is his daughter doing?
                        first mace, tazer, handgun.. and now snares...?

daaayummmm.

Comment

Lol. Misspelled on purpose. Lol wanted to see how bad I would get bashed on. I was pleasantly surprised

Thanks for the advise though. I have been against them but may have no choice. Coyotes are thick in our area right now. Shooting 1or2 just doesn't seem to have any affect but snaring a bunch could put a dent in them

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
                            have to admit.. when i saw the screen name ..and "snairs" (SIC).. my first thought was.. geezus... what exactly is his daughter doing?
                            first mace, tazer, handgun.. and now snares...?

daaayummmm.
                            ?

Comment

Originally posted by D12 View Post
                              Lol. Misspelled on purpose. Lol wanted to see how bad I would get bashed on. I was pleasantly surprised

Thanks for the advise though. I have been against them but may have no choice. Coyotes are thick in our area right now. Shooting 1or2 just doesn't seem to have any affect but snaring a bunch could put a dent in them

Did you spell advice wrong on purpose too?

Comment

Working...
                              X