Biggest rattlesnake you've seen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Biggest rattlesnake you've seen?

Snakes always seem to make for an interesting conversation whether you hate them or not. The snake I.D. thread and the big bullsnake in it got me to wondering what the biggest rattlesnake....Or I guess really any snake you've ever seen was? We always see pictures of snakes being held way out on sticks or whatever so lets talk about some honest to goodness huge rattlesnakes,water moccasins,copperheads or whatever else you have run across.

The biggest I've personally seen I shot. Little over 6 feet long with 16 buttons. La Salle County.

Comment

Seen a blue indigo that I wouldn't even try to guess how long he was

Comment

Largest one alive I saw was about 5' 10". His skin is on my wall. I did find a whole skin last year that measured 6' 6" without the head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I found one here in East Tx a little over 9' long. Cut him open and there was a baby black panther inside him.

Comment

I've seen and caught blue indigos that were 8'+. Best rattler I've ever caught was 6'3" from around atascosa county

Comment

The biggest Western Diamondback I've personally seen I can't take credit for. Some buddies of mine caught him somewhere down in South Texas. It measured 82" and had 20 rattles. The year before they caught one 80 1/2 long. They were so big they looked fake. The biggest I've found was only around 5 foot with 17 rattles and a button. I thought it was huge at the time but after seeing those snakes it doesn't seem so big.

Comment

I haven't seen very many, but this was probably the biggest and it was IN the lake a few weeks ago?? Probably a little over 4'
                Attached Files

Comment

Caught a big one not too long ago. Now it's not compared to some y'all have seen but it's a Prairie Rattlesnake so they don't get anywhere near the size of a Diamondback. Measured 56" long. Normally if you find a 4 footer that's considered big. 57 1/8" is the largest on record. I've caught two in my life that measured 55" and another that measured 54". It's pretty uncommon to find one much over 48" at the most. They average probably 3 foot or so?
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by okrattler; 06-18-2017, 10:56 AM.

Comment

We saw a blue indigo once down by Tilden while hog hunting. Easily 8+ ft long. When it glided across the hard dirt the sides of the skin flattened out. All three of us grown men took a big step back. Looked like something of of a movie he was so big and fast.

Comment

Originally posted by Razrbk89 View Post
                      I haven't seen very many, but this was probably the biggest and it was IN the lake a few weeks ago?? Probably a little over 4'
                      Really cool lookin snakes. I haven't seen any big Timbers really but I know they can get that way.

Comment

Biggest rattler I've ever seen was probably around 6 feet long. One time a buddy and I were night fishing on the docks at Twin Coves marina on Lake Grapevine. There were quite a few snakes swimming around. As we were both fishing the same empty slip, a very large snake swam directly across the 8-foot wide slot. The tail had not arrived when the head went under the other side. Its head was bigger than my fist and it had to be at least 9 or 10 feet long. I am guessing it was some kind of exotic pet someone released.

Comment

Biggest rattler I ever saw was a 5' 10" Timber Rattler back in the 70's before they were protected.

My Grandmother was bitten by a Diamondback that was said to be over 6' that almost killed her, but I didn't see that one.

Killed a 41" coral snake when I was a teenager. Biggest one of those I ever saw.

Comment

Track hoe operator killed one in the Ardmore, Davis, Ok area back in 2008 while we were pipelining thru there. Was as long as I am tall missing the head portion of the snake. I'm 6'1. Thought we did good and took into the local store there to show if off and the old lady behind the counter said that was a baby. She said they get 10' 12' long up in them caves in the mountains And then I saw one, one day tracking a D6 down a lease road to start building another one. It crossed the gravel road in front of me and went from grass to grass across the road. My track width on the dozer was taking up all of the road, my blade was wider than the road so I'm guessing 8' to 10' on the length or longer. I hit another gear to try and catch up to it to see it, got close hit park jumped out on the track and it was going over the barbed wire fence, the top strand, and stopped and turned around and looked at me. I decided to re-enter my dozer and view from there. Biggest I've ever seen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Caught one a couple years ago that was 2.5 times the length of Jackie Bibby's grabber!

I know this because Bibby grabbed him back of mid body and when raised the snake out of the can the snake bit him in the sternum.

Snake was a little over 5'

Comment

Working...
                              X