How long in Estes park?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long in Estes park?

We are going in June to Colorado and for sure making it to Estes park. With the cost of cabins there I'm trying to find out how many days in average a family with 2 and 6 yr old could stay there exploring things before you've pretty much done all there is besides more hiking?

A day in town.... IMO.

Comment

be sure to do the Stanley Hotel tour

there are dozens of things you can do outdoors : http://www.visitestespark.com/things...FdHm7AodlCEAgg

Comment

A day in town

Several days in the Rocky Mountain National Park

Comment

For cabins, check out this place. We stayed there last year and the cabins were great. Sorry I can't remember the price but I know it was cheaper than most places. Different prices depending on the size of cabin you're looking for.

Estes Park Center® - YMCA of the Rockies

800-777-9622 you can find them on line as well.

We stayed a week in November. The elk were everywhere. Took a lot of pictures. Take an extra memory card and battery for your camera.

We got in the park early when the wildlife was moving..Awesome!
          Last edited by billinkb; 01-21-2014, 09:24 AM.

Comment

The town itself stays so crowded during the summer, that I did not enjoy spending time there at all. You would be able to do everything there in town in a couple of days tops. I much more enjoyed spending my time exploring Rocky Mtn Natl Park for several days. I actually enjoyed Grand Lake (other end of the park) much more than Estes Park, just because so many fewer people.

Comment

Stay in town and go explore RMN park. Hike as many trails as you can.

Comment

A day in town, but you need several days in the park. There are trout in those creeks. I have caught the grand slam there.

Comment

Lots to do in that area. Several days is better. Ft Collins is only 45 miles away you can stay there or Loveland as well. The drive up the canyon is awesome. Great fishing the whole way up.

Comment

We stayed in Rockmount Cottages. Www.rockmountcottages.com. They were reasonable and very nice. The elk roamed right thru them morning and evening. Some very big bulls too.

Comment

Thinking about going this summer. I'll be watching this thread

Comment

Like everyone said a day or maybe two in town. Lots to do in town for the kids.....tons of shopping downtown, bumper boats, putt-putt, go-carts, aerial tram up the mountain and feed the chipmonks. Lake Estes (in town) is a great place for a picnic and feed the ducks and there may still be some elk calving there in early June (usually its May). Pretty golf course right there too!

With small children like you have I would imagine lots of hiking would not be a great idea but there are great views from the car and lots of wildlife everywhere in RMNP. There are some short hikes from the parking lots to some great lakes in the park like Sprague and Bear Lakes.

Rockmount Cottages are awesome as are the Glacier Lodge cabins. Both are right on the Big Thompson River with great fishing. Although the runoff may be extreme in June.

Comment

We have gone the last 4 years . We try to go at the end of September when they are rutting .We went to Grande Lake last year and it was nice for a change. It is very quiet and peaceful with some great views. You better book ASAP because they book up pretty fast if they are a good place to stay. We stayed at Paradise on the River( My Favorite and a great place) the first time we went but have not been able to book a cabin since. Mostly because we waited to long. Any nice cabin is going to run you from $150/$200 easily. If you go in the peak time it will be more. The pass to get into the park is really cheap so buy it as soon as you get there because it last for several days and will be good longer than your stay will be.

Comment

I need at least a week in Estes.

You can spend three days just driving and exploring the park, three days fishing, three days riding the slide, riding the tram, going to the Stanley, playing golf.

and tack on one extra day for eating fudge.

Comment

I second Rockmount Cottages, Right on the Big Thompson River. Spend at least a week there! Better check into reservations now as they all fill up quick.

Comment

Working...
                              X