My First Bow Buck...and I am 10 :) w/video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My First Bow Buck...and I am 10 :) w/video

It was my week off for Thanksgiving from school so we went to out deer lease in Carta Valley, Texas. My dad had already shot his monster "Grave Digger" so it was my turn now. There was one deer that I liked, we called him "unicorn" because of the left antler was straight with a small kicker going back into his head. After we got there and settled in, we headed oiut on Tuesday evening. All we was were 2 small cull bucks, but I passed.

We then went out early morning the next day. After at least 1 hour, "unicorn" came running by. I almost had a shot, but I had buck fever BAD! After he left I told my dad, "It's my first bow buck, it doesn't have to be an excellent 8 point buck like Unicorn"! We came back later that evening. A good, long, spike came along. I took a shot, but hit the blind window. We had checked to make sure my bow cleared the window when we first got in the blind, but the sharp angle put my bow to the side more instead of the lower part of window. The spike ran but later as dad said he came back!

I pulled back my 33 pound Browning Micro Adrenaline and Anchored, Aimed, and Released! He must of heard it because I hit far back, when I aimed at the heart and lungs. We watched the video and then looked for blood where the deer was standing, but there was no blood at all. As hard as it was to do, dad said we should wait a few hours, maybe over night since cold enough outside and no coyotes. The next day we brought out the secrete weapon, Ellie, our new tracking dog we are training! She searched and searched but was chasing fresher trails we think. We never were able to put her on blood. We looked and decided to take the dog back to camp and dad said he would come back and find my deer.

My dad went back to look and guess what? He found my deer! I was so happy he found it. He text mom and said, "tell Trey to get dressed it was picture time"! Dad had found more blood while looking and confirmed trail deer took and then did a grid search and found it about an hour later. Ellie and I got ready again and dad came and got us. We went to the blood he found and put the dog on it and this time she went straight to the deer. We were all happy and headed back for camp with my first bow buck. I had hit the liver dead on and the buck had went 222 yards according to dads GPS on his iphone4. The deer was bedded along the creek- we made the right decission in waiting to not push the buck. As we drove up at camp- "unicorn" was on the back of a gun hunters four wheeler, but oh well, Ive got me my prize!

Here is very short Iphone video

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9PTfWMBPu8"]Treys first bow buck - YouTube[/ame]

here are some pictures...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Treys Bow Buck 014.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	172.4 KB
ID:	24879360

Name:	Treys Bow Buck 015.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	167.8 KB
ID:	24879361

Name:	Treys Bow Buck 006.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	24879362

Name:	Treys Bow Buck 007.jpg
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	24879363

Name:	Treys Bow Buck 012.jpg
Size:	164.7 KB
ID:	24879364

Name:	Treys Bow Buck 016.jpg
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	24879365

after all said and done...dad took me up to the overlook area on the ranch. The elevation is 1990- been higher in real mountains, but high enough in Texas. We later found out the prior rancher called it aggie point. Didnt know that when took picture there in aggie shirt.

Name:	Treys Bow Buck 017.jpg
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	24879366

Nice write up young man! congrats...

Comment

Name:	unicorn.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	24032245

this is/was unicorn

Comment

Nice write up and congrats!

Comment

Congratulations Trey!! great write up!

maybe another Unicorn like buck during Christmas Break??

Comment

That is great!

Man he went a long ways

Comment

Unicorn is dead Steve...didnt you read the kids write up nice save on the edit ))

Congrats Son! Very proud of you and good job on the write up! I entered thread and photos but Trey wrote it all out for me...

Yes he went a long ways....Trick my cousin MichaelW taught me in Cotulla in 2004- when hunting the edge of an open field....if we wait till deer is facing open field-99.999999% of all the deer we shot run to the open field. If facing other way they run out of my view within seconds. This gives me nearly 100 yards of visable running away....I have done this with many deer and works nearly every time.... Most I see crash and some on video... There was no blood ever found on the first 75 yrs or so across the open field. I saw blood accumulating all around arrow, but never found a drop till 10-20 yrds in woods. I only knew where the deer went in woods cause I had a long visual.
              Last edited by Howard; 12-01-2011, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Congratulations!!

Comment

Great job Trey. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Wow that's cool! Congrats!

Comment

Great job Trey and excellent write up

My first buck looked just like that! Keep up the good work

Comment

another thing...the GPS photo looks like the woods are even open. I worked an area from creek right at checkered flag back to the tiny road to the left of that and the open area where shot and still struggled to grid find this deer. Took an hour. Based on GPS looks like easy. It was also sad for me cause this is exact route axis took and same woods I searched 6 plus hours

Comment

What app was that your dad used? I wouldve like to have that when tracking the buck I shot this year.

Comment

Congrats to the young TBHer!

Comment

Congratulations again Trey. Great job on the recap guys. Glad it all worked out for both of you!

Comment

Working...
                              X