Need info for Pat Mayse WMA turkeys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need info for Pat Mayse WMA turkeys

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I got drawn for spring turkeys and need to know what section to hunt. The place is big, and I'll do some scouting this weekend but I'm looking for a shortcut. Thanks.

I've seen them on several occasions while deer hunting in the fall up there.I've seen them in the hollers across the road from the headquarters/campsite,and also in the bottoms along Sanders creek. They move around quite a bit,you just have to hope a flock is working the compartment you are given. Good luck and post pics if you shoot one!

Comment

At PM, they don't assign specific compartments, so you can hunt anywhere on the WMA. The turkeys out there are heavily pressured, so if you kill one, you have definitely earned it.

Comment

Originally posted by 100%TtId View Post
        At PM, they don't assign specific compartments, so you can hunt anywhere on the WMA. The turkeys out there are heavily pressured, so if you kill one, you have definitely earned it.
        I'm surprised about the heavy pressure. There will only be 10 people hunting each of the three draw weekends.

Comment

Originally posted by 100%TtId View Post
          That's news to me,have you done one of the draw hunts for turkeys there? They are extremely protective of the turkeys on the area,they paid a lot of money to re-stock them and the fines for poaching one are large.

Comment

buzz cut you have a PM

Comment

PM answered..

Comment

Another PM for Buzzcut with a tip for you this time.

Comment

I can tell you this, there are a lot of Turkeys there and if you are a decent caller and can get between them and where they are going you will have a great time. They are like gypsies and move around a lot. I have seen the most in one specific place, PM me and I will return fire tonight after I get home.

Comment

If it was a draw are you sure it's not on Camp Maxey? If you have a boat I can get you on some birds, pm me if interested

Comment

Originally posted by Ol Thumper View Post
                      If it was a draw are you sure it's not on Camp Maxey? If you have a boat I can get you on some birds, pm me if interested
                      No its definitely Pat Mayse WMA but that you just the same.

Comment

Originally posted by buzzcut View Post
                        That's news to me,have you done one of the draw hunts for turkeys there? They are extremely protective of the turkeys on the area,they paid a lot of money to re-stock them and the fines for poaching one are large.
                        Yes, I've hunted on the draws. Unfortunately, there is a lot of poaching on the area.

Comment

I've killed some birds there on the draw hunts. Two years ago me and my nephew killed a double. The best thing to do is listen, then go to them. Also I've been drawn 4 or 5 times and the most I've seen show up was 6 out of 10. Last year I went on stand by and only 3 showed up. Good luck

Comment

I ran into a good size flock along the creek back in November when I was there on a GDE hunt. Surprizingly they were only about 300 yards away from the road.

Pat Mayse is a good area. You have to put work into the hunt like anywhere else IMO.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I had hoped to scout some over the weekend but decided to just stay home what with the high winds.
                              I'll be camping up there so if I go up Thursday afternoon I might be able to roost something.

Comment

Working...
                              X