Well I tried

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I tried

I had a jake within my comfort zone and I missed. It felt good to finally draw back on something besides my targets.

Jake

I've missed a few jakes in my time...

Don't sweat it Timm. Them dudes are of deceiving appearance.
    Last edited by LostHawg; 10-17-2006, 05:44 AM. Reason: Supporting information

Comment

Timm turkeys aren't the easiest animal to take with traditional equipment, so Like Hawg said don;t sweat you will tag it next time.

Comment

I shot a dandy Tom last year at a 3D shoot....

Comment

Some 6 or so years ago I had a jake coming to my shooting lane at a fast walk. It was apparent he wasn't going to stop. Just before he stepped into the shooting lane I released the string for a beautiful shot that passed 2 turkey steps in front of this now stationary bird.

Last year, I took a shot at a bird that I THOUGHT was 35 yards (I'd been practicing point on and she was not alert). The arrow dropped harmlessly just below her breast and skipped along till it lodged in a root. She and her brood of poults (old enough) watched the arrow come to a stop and went back to feeding. I tried to nock another arrow, but the nock was too loose on the string and fell to the ground when I went to raise my bow. The turkeys didn't even seem to notice. Another arrow and it did the same. I reached for another arrow and changed my mind. Decided to just watch them enjoy the morning sun.

Turkeys 5 - Tracy 0

Turkeys just mess me up for some reason. I do things and take shots that I know better than doing. Well, perhaps tomorrow...

Comment

I can't get Turkeys within shooting range. not even within range of a 7MM mag. My calling must be atrocious, HUH!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by txrattler View Post
              I shot a dandy Tom last year at a 3D shoot....

Me Too!!!

Comment

Turkeys!!!!!

Don't feel too bad, last year I missed a HUGE tom at about 12 yards...WITH MY COMPOUND! My buddy still gives me krap about that one. I have no idea what happened but that strutting tom had me so excited I felt like it was the first animal I have ever shot at with ANYTHING! So I will second the notion that turkeys can "mess you up". The sad part is, I shot a hog the day before at almost twice the range with my longbow...go figure!

Comment

Here's my story...and I'm stick'in to it...I was hunting just out of Andise a few years ago and had a bowhunting box blind with 6" x 12" windows for shooting. Had a nice Tom walk within 5 yards of the blind and I drew back for the shot. At the release, all I heard was a THWACK!!! Unfortunately, I was looking at the bird and not my arrow angle. Needless to say, I shot about 1" below the window seal and drove my Grizzly broadhead and cedar shaft about 12" into the blind. Obviously, I did not get that Tom but another walked by about 10 minutes later (after the woods settled down) and I got him thru the base of the neck. A real trophy for sure.

Comment

This reminds me of why I went back to the compound from a recurve........ I like the taste of game too much.

Hang in there, Timm.
                    Hunting Videos & Flickr Pix

Comment

Last edited by LostHawg; 10-19-2006, 08:18 AM.

Comment

I am going to go back out next weekend and I will be hunting my Double Bull. I will get my first trad kill this season.

Comment

I have never taken a turkey with my bow yet, but i am grief on the coyotes and deer!

Comment

Working...
                          X