Let's see your hunting knives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's see your hunting knives

Here's 3 of mine. Top was made by a member of my archery club, and I won it in a club raffle. Birdseye walnut handle, and on the end is a silver traditional arrowhead with the club initials BHU (Bowhunters Unlimited) engraved on it. 3 pigs, 1 deer and an elk calf so far.

Bottom was made by a fellow I've elk hunted with. The blade is hollow-ground like a straight razor, and with a diamond impregnated sharpening steel I could shave with it. Most of the weight is in the handle, so it balances really nicely.

One other, I've carried this as a backup when pig hunting but it sits in a drawer now. It was my wife's Grandfathers, and during WWII, the 8th Army Airforce issued Case bowie knives to airmen as their survival weapons on the deep bombing runs into Germany and Rumania. If I only had a knife to keep me alive and fight with, this is heavy and I've sharpened it to a razor edge as well.

All three look great Bill, but that birdseye walnut handle is awesome! I'm going to have to get a knife with that handle material some day.

Comment

Here you go.
      Attached Files

Comment

Tom, if you could carry 1 with you for elk, which would it be?

Comment

This is just a few.
          Attached Files

Comment

Bill I like yours too the one in the middle looks great.

Tom nice set of knives you have there.

Comment

This is one of my favorites, a twist steel blade made by Bill Middlebrook.

Click image for larger version

Name:	middlebrook (Small).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	23828065

Comment

What's twiststeel?

Comment

nice knives guys

Comment

here are mine. top to bottom; cutco, buck, gerber, custom Snody, custom Snody. the two customs are from my good bud Mike Snody. Awesome custom knife maker!!!
                    Attached Files

Comment

Bill,

Twist steel is sometimes called Damascus twist steel. As I understand it, there are several different ways to create this result. I watched a lot of the process with this paticular knife. The maker alternated layers of different types of steel. Each layer was about an inch wide and a foot long and about the thickness of a think sheet of cardboard. This was heated very hot and then hammered until it was about a quarter of an inch thick. It was then folded over, reheated and hammered again. At some point the metal is heated and twisted and then hammered out flat again. The two different metals create a pattern in the blade. I hope this oversimplification helps.

Click image for larger version

Name:	middlebrook1 (Small).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	23828097

Comment

here are a few more pics that i have of Mikes knives.
                        Attached Files

Comment

This is all you boys need right here. $3.99 per knife, and you can do about four deer or about 3-4 hogs. When you are done, you can throw them away or drag them across a stone and they are ready to go again. I quit wasting my time with those high dollar hunting knives. This and a sawzall are the only things you need.

Dang Tom, all those knives and you still can't put one up?
                          Attached Files

Comment

Don't laugh. They're cheap and deadly.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Some of you guys are knife queers!
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X