Public land squirrel hunting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Public land squirrel hunting?

A few friends and I are wanting to take our kids on a camping/squirrel hunting trip. We were thinking about Sam Houston national forest but we want to make sure our kids have a good opportunity to get some. Anybody have any experience hunting squirrels there or know of a good place with camping and squirrels available. The kids will be between 5and 11 so a place where the hunting is pretty good would be great.
    Thanks
    Daniel

Well never mind on Sam Houston NF just noticed that the squirrel season is youth only in September only.

Comment

Well technically squirrel season is open for anyone in the SHNF right now, so you could go. However, with the general deer season opening this weekend I would highly advise otherwise.

Comment

Tpwd public land book shows that the only season for squirrel is a 2 day season in September.

Comment

I guess I should say we are not planning on doing this hunt till January or February.

Comment

Originally posted by fisher__man View Post
            Tpwd public land book shows that the only season for squirrel is a 2 day season in September.
            https://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/hunt...ources/905.pdf
            Squirrel season is Oct. 1, 2016 - Feb. 26, 2017 & May 1 - 31, 2017 for everyone. That is the youth only on that flyer. There are several places you can go that don't allow deer hunting. Check out the public hunting on their web site.

Comment

Look at the Rose City Unit #2258.

Also, Huntsville state park is open for hunting December 7-8, 2016. Should be a lot of friendly fat squirrels in there.

There is also Gum Slough Unit #2493, but I have never been there, not sure what its like.

Comment

That's just the youth season your looking at. If you look in the legal game box notice it just says squirrel, that means it goes by the state seasons. Having said that I never noticed a tone of squirrels the years I hunted there. But I didn't hunt any of the big bottoms.

Comment

Man I loved squirrel hunting as a kid. Just getting into white tail hunting but if I had to pick it would be squirrel hunting with a good dog. My dad used to have some good dogs! I remember we were on vacation one time. Came home through Arkansas and somehow we ended up picking a dog up on vacation!!!! The dog never hunted but came out pet dog named Rocky.

Comment

Originally posted by Bumpy View Post
                    Man I loved squirrel hunting as a kid. Just getting into white tail hunting but if I had to pick it would be squirrel hunting with a good dog. My dad used to have some good dogs! I remember we were on vacation one time. Came home through Arkansas and somehow we ended up picking a dog up on vacation!!!! The dog never hunted but came out pet dog named Rocky.
                    Mine was my grandpa. He always had a kennel full of squirrel dogs. I still have his old 16 gauge shotgun my great grandfather bought him in 1918. Went I hunt with that gun, I can just feel him in the woods with me.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Comment

Are you sssuuurrrreeee you aren't just looking for all the good acorn holes??? Haha

Comment

No I have a great place to hunt WT. I just used to squirrel hunt all the time and my buddies were the same way so we thought it would be cool to go camping one weekend and get the kids together and teach them the way we started hunting. All of our kids are close in age 5-7 and get along great so should be fun. Now that I see I was looking at the Sam Houston national forest wrong that is probably where we will be going.

Comment

I'm looking at maybe going to Nannie Stringfellow #716. They have a squirrel hunt Nov 19 and Dec 3. Anyone else ever been?

Comment

I'm in Frisco, you can hunt and kill all you want...but no tents allowed in my subdivision.

Comment

I hunted S'tringfellow last year with my kids and friend's kids. We shot 7 or 8 that morning. We showed up right before daylight and found that almost all of the compartments were already taken so show up early. I didn't think that many people hunted bushytails anymore. Gus Engling also has a squirrel hunt that is pretty good if you stay along the creeks.

Comment

Working...
                              X