New Climbing Stand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Climbing Stand

I picked up a Summit Viper Classic tree climber from D!ck's Sporting goods for $143 tax included. I ordered it on-line using coupon code for an additional 20% off.

I have a climbing stand I use in Missouri. It works. But not my favorite type of stand.

Comment

If you set up for optimum sitting comfort with that stand it'll be a pita to shoot a trad bow. When I hunt out of one, it's almost like I'm squatting on the seat so the side bars will be low enough to accommodate shooting my bow. Good luck you'll get a feel for it.

Comment

Originally posted by arrowsmack324 View Post
        If you set up for optimum sitting comfort with that stand it'll be a pita to shoot a trad bow. When I hunt out of one, it's almost like I'm squatting on the seat so the side bars will be low enough to accommodate shooting my bow. Good luck you'll get a feel for it.

Thanks, I'll try it on a tree tonight and plan on hunting in it Sunday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by JTBean View Post
          Thanks, I'll try it on a tree tonight and plan on hunting in it Sunday.

If it doesn't work out look at the Summit Razor. The climbing bar in the front actually folds down and away so you've got a wide open shot in front of you.

Comment

I will second what was stated above. Drop the top down so that it is below your knee caps and you wont have any problems. One MAJOR upgrade for you shooting a trad bow would be to get you a hazemore seat. The ones that droop down 8" can make shooting a tradbow from them next to impossible unless your bow is 40" long. I have shot 62" bows out of my climber with no problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Danielb89 View Post
              I will second what was stated above. Drop the top down so that it is below your knee caps and you wont have any problems. One MAJOR upgrade for you shooting a trad bow would be to get you a hazemore seat. The ones that droop down 8" can make shooting a tradbow from them next to impossible unless your bow is 40" long. I have shot 62" bows out of my climber with no problems.

Thanks for the tip on dropping the top down. The seat upgrade looks interesting.

Comment

I had the light weight version of the viper several years ago. Made hunting in the national forest with a rifle much much more enjoyable (It is thick in a lot of those places - elevation is key.) I sold it to a TBHer who used it to take his first deer up there and even hunted with a compound out of it... but I will echo what others have said... with a trad bow, it will be difficult. Heck, I had a hard time shooting out of a ladder stand sitting with my recurve.

Comment

I bought that same one at dicks last yr for 60 bucks on clearance In the store after the season was over.....it's a solid climber!

Comment

Wow, that was a steel.

Comment

I used my tree climber last weekend in the SHNF. I can now see what everyone stated above meant about the bar being in the way.

Does anyone have any suggestion for modifications to carry it more comfortably? I managed the weight OK but the straps are not at all comfortable.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                      X