THE Official Twin Buttes Reservoir Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

THE Official Twin Buttes Reservoir Thread

Since so many people have been PM'ing me lately about this Public Hunting area we'll start a new thread for all to get some info. Below is some recent/current info on whats happening around the area and I will try to add a map of the hunting units soon:

All the reports I have from friends still hunting TBR this year and from what I saw yesterday while scouting with another TBH guy show that TBR is having many more deer sightings, bucks are broken off from bachelor groups, some sparring has begun, deer are being seen during the afternoon as well as early AM and late evening (bucks). Put an afternoon of scouting in to maximize your hunt before deciding on just one place or if time is going to be tight then stick to known areas youve had good experience in the past. All the usual places I saw deer at in the past are working very well again this season. Stick close to water sources in the AM and midday hunts, go to food sources in the evening. They are coming into the corn very well, especially "scented" corn (I spray mine with Apple juice) or scent up a perimeter around new baiting spots (yes its allowed here!) with some "Tails End" lure to bring them in.

Guided / Scouted with "Arrowdynamic" yesterday in several Units of TBR . We got into some mid-day deer (x2) going to water near the river in Unit 1 and saw very good sign of heavy traffic in several other areas(i.e. Unit 3) we visited during the late afternoon.(my group took 5 deer there last year)

He called that night to tell me he had checked out one of the Northern Unit areas of San Angelo State Park permit hunting spots along FM2288 and the river was basically dry and there were several people hunting that area it seems. The Best "Puddle" of water in the river bed had someone already set-up on it (after 1/2 mile hike in) and there was about 4 groups of out of town hunters in the North end camp ground. So basically its crowded with no deer (or very slim due to no water) cause they probably have moved across the Hwy into the main park which is a special draw hunt ONLY area.

Hunting pressure in some areas of TBR has been VERY low and non-existent in some areas if ya get way back in. As always avoid Unit 2 its the heaviest pressured area and a favorite of the local military base guys.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hafernick
    City of San Angelo has the water rights leased....there is around 8,000 acres on the twin buttes

We have done some more research on this, and after some GPS estimates yesterday while scouting we have figured it to be very close to about 15,000 ACRES at TBR. State park is only 2,100 acres, and the U.S. Dept. of the Interior is the governing agency of this land. I can show ya the boundry markers on my ranch that mark public/private. I'm next to Unit 4 at TBR.

Try this link here for the Map of TBR public hunting units. I tried to download here but the file is way to big.

http://www.sanangelotexas.org/vertical/Sites/{BD27ED61-E710-4F56-8954-CC319F012B3D}/uploads/{C2D28A99-8969-49AF-88CE-CC9BA466F809}.BMP

COPY / PASTE above for map
    Last edited by SanAngeloBowman; 10-20-2008, 07:51 PM.

Comment

oops

Comment

it no worky

Comment

Originally posted by BillfromFtWorth View Post
          it no worky
          Try this Bill:

You have to copy and paste the address (file was way to big for site)

1) Highlight the maps web address
          2) right click mouse and click on COPY
          3) Go to top of screen and clear OR highlight the address bar.
          4) Right click mouse and click on PASTE

This WILL work. I just tried it to make sure.

Comment

I went to TBR unit 1 Saturday afternoon and set up on a trail leading to the river. About 5:15 some guys showed up on the west side of the river and started dove hunting. They shot until 6:30 and then cranked up the stereo and partied. I was set up at TBR unit 3 Sunday morning when two pick up trucks barrelled down the trail just before 8:00 and started making noise all around me.
            Lesson learned: go to TBR during the week when everyone else is at work.

Thanks to SanAngeloBowman for his hospitality.

Comment

Originally posted by arrowdynamic View Post
              I went to TBR unit 1 Saturday afternoon and set up on a trail leading to the river. About 5:15 some guys showed up on the west side of the river and started dove hunting. They shot until 6:30 and then cranked up the stereo and partied. I was set up at TBR unit 3 Sunday morning when two pick up trucks barrelled down the trail just before 8:00 and started making noise all around me.
              Lesson learned: go to TBR during the week when everyone else is at work.

Thanks to SanAngeloBowman for his hospitality.
              Yes, always best to hunt Public Land during the week. I've got on deer every day since ya left (sorry ) and even shot a turkey today and had a porcupine charge me, so I had to shoot at him too. Thankfully I missed him cause I really didn't want to deal with pulling my arrow out of the pincushion. He was huge. Bigger than my black lab, so I don't know if that s normal cause its the first one I've seen in person (and up close ) the moon change and cooler temps sure has helped, sorry Rob. We'll get ya one next time.

Comment

Congrats on the turkey!

Comment

NativeRat,

You made it over to Unit 5 yet? Just wondering how ya did. We have decent Turkey movement still around Unit 4 area.

Comment

Not yet. It has to be family first, then hunting, ya know? When I get in there in the next couple of weeks, I'll post what I see.
                    and if those birds are still in Unit 4,they must be finding some sort of fall forage to eat, and might hang around or return. I hope.

Comment

Anybody ever SEEN hogs out around Twin Buttes? (or the state park for that matter)

I buried some sour corn last year in UNit 1 after opening a bag and didn't realize it had gone bad. I wasn't hunting hogs but within a couple days all 50# was dug up and gone. I wanted to actually try and actively hunt them this year, so just wondering if anyone could suggest an area around the lake to try first.

Comment

New to public lands.

Hunted Angelo State Park a few weeks ago. Saw several doe all out of range. Looking for any advice. Unit 1 and & 7 seem to be most promising, I only hunted 7. Is Twin Buttes rifle hunted if not would like to try there next time I come to Angelo. What units are best/less crowded? Heard it gets pretty crazy out there? Thanks Stoney

Comment

Just got got back from there today and it is really slow.Didn't see as many deer as in years past and never saw any deer on my eveing hunts.

Comment

Does

So far, I've seen only does and little ones around Unit V. And armadillos. I drove down to El Dorado yesterday and saw two dead bucks on the side of the road, one a spike, the other looked bigger. so maybe there is some movement in spite of the heat?

Stoney -- TBR is shotgun hunted. No slugs, just buck shot. But some others posting here say they have had slugs fired over their heads. So there you go.

Comment

buddy and me dropped 2 spikes opening weekend

Comment

Working...
                              X