Keeping your dog ready.?.?.?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keeping your dog ready.?.?.?

Those with tracking dogs how often do you run mock trails during the off season. (Actually...not want to or wish you had the time to)
    Also where are you getting your blood?
    ( I am in joshua, south of ft worth)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Hey Im in joshua also. Have you thought about running by one of the processors around and see if they could save some for you?

Comment

I'm brand new to the tracking dog thing , just got a pup. I've been bottling the defrost blood from my frozen deer meat and leading a trail to his food bowl every time I cook . Just an idea.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Pretty slick... I've been wasting all that potential down the drain!

Comment

Originally posted by JANSLEY817 View Post
          Hey Im in joshua also. Have you thought about running by one of the processors around and see if they could save some for you?
          Haven't yet.... last year I was working in oklahoma and lucked in to a processor that would save some blood but charged me for it. Guess I better get up there while they still have deer coming in

Comment

Originally posted by JANSLEY817 View Post
            Best they would do is give some deer legs .... which I did not turn down.
            But I did get a heads up on another place to get blood. PM me if you need some I've got plenty now.

Comment

cow blood works fine.

we don't run our dogs on mock tracks after they've been on real tracks....they know the game by then.

Comment

I think mock trails are fine. However, I have a friend that has an awesome tracking dog. I don't think he ever did any mock trails with him. He just started putting his dog on deer. It could be this dog just has it so it wouldn't matter how he was "trained", but I really think their is no substitute for real tracking.

If I or my son shoot a deer that runs a little ways I will bring my dog(s) out to trail it. Not sure if this helps or hinders them (being a short trail), but I figure it will help remind them what their job is.

I am by no means an expert and just use my dogs to track my/my friends deer.

Kevin

Comment

Working...
                X