Equipment review - Weston arrow saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Equipment review - Weston arrow saw

In my compound days I knew what I length I wanted and always ordered pre-cut shafts. When I switched to traditional a few years ago I needed to be able to cut my own for tuning purposes. I made a little jig and cut them with a Dremel and finished them with an ASD. That worked OK but I decided to either buy a saw or build a DIY saw. That decision was made when I got two buddies to kick in for the cost - I decided to buy one. I know the Apple is the "gold standard" for arrow saws but between the three of us we will probably never cut more than 6 dozen per year, so I thought I'd go the cheaper route. After a little research I bought a Weston saw - the 5,000 RPM version. It arrived Friday and I cut my first dozen with it yesterday. I debated whether or not the 8,000 RPM would be worth the extra money but I was pleased at how well the 5,000 performed. The saw is well made and I got good clean - and straight - cuts in a couple of seconds. This is not a professional saw and would probably not hold up to cutting shafts all day every day, but well worth $125 (or $40 a piece) It also has an arrow roller attachment which will come in handy.
    Last edited by jerp; 02-10-2014, 01:23 PM.

I recently got the 8,000 rpm version. I ordered it off of Amazon which had the best price I could find. The first one that I got was defective and the motor would not turn on. When I let Amazon know they immediately shipped out another one at no additional cost and asked that I send back the first one. The second one has been great so far. From everything that I have read, if the motor on the Weston ever fails and you no longer have a warranty, you can order just the motor used on an Apple and it will work on the Weston. I hope I don't have to find out.

Comment

I got the same one, ive ran about 5doz arrows through it over the past 4-5years and still going like day 1.

Comment

I got the same saw and it does the job for me.

Comment

Working...
        X