Building Arrows?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Building Arrows?

How many of you guys build your own arrows. I have been looking into it and was wondering if it is cost effective for you ? Do you do it so you can build exactly what you want ? I guess I kind of view it like reloading your own rounds. Tinkering with different formulas to get the max out of your bow. What says the GS ?

Have been building my own arrows for better than 20 years. It is fun and the end results is just exactly what you want it to be. I build both wood and alunimum arrows. I make my own fletching from wild turkey feathers, which are three or four times as durable as those you buy. Now, one other thing, I am talking about shooting traditional only. I do not have shoot compound bows at all. I just enjoy the tradional bow.

Comment

Originally posted by Cropduster View Post
      Have been building my own arrows for better than 20 years. It is fun and the end results is just exactly what you want it to be. I build both wood and alunimum arrows. I make my own fletching from wild turkey feathers, which are three or four times as durable as those you buy. Now, one other thing, I am talking about shooting traditional only. I do not have shoot compound bows at all. I just enjoy the tradional bow.
      Love to see pics of some of your work, maybe with some specs for the arrows and bows you match them up with.

Comment

I build my own and I think it helps accuracy a little bit. its not cheaper than buying already made arrows but you can use the components you want to use. If you go and shoot your newly fletched arrows you worked hard on and break one try not to cry too much.

Comment

I just started building my own last year. I also build for a couple of friends. It's a little cheaper in that I can buy bulk vanes, but then I blow a good portion of the cost savings on custom wraps. The finished product still comes out a little cheaper. The main reason I do it is so I can get exactly the look I want on my arrows and control the weight. I'll do a dozen and all will be within a couple of grains of each other. That helps on your accuracy and cuts down on the flyers, IMHO.

Comment

Like reloading, it is a little more cost effective to buy bare shafts once you have the arrow saw and fletching jig. I started into because I was disappointed in the way a shop cut my arrows (not a straight cut at all). It will also save a little money and a lot of time when you can refletch arrows yourself and not have to take it somewhere and wait for them to do it. Plus you can choose what kind of fletch and offset you want versus shooting whatever the factory fletches them with.

Comment

Buy a jig, then shafts, nocks, inserts, points, glue, and vanes/feathers and you are in business. And, yes it is cost effective. Especially when you have 4-5 laying around with shot-up vanes or a missing/loose vane. Instead of taking them to a shop and paying, it is a DIY while you watch TV.

Comment

I haven't bought an assembled arrow since 2002. I like putting my own colors, own offset, favorite vanes or feathers, etc... on my arrows. The store never had what I wanted.

The other thing was cutting. I had too many "close enough" shops. Now my arrows are cut perfectly to my length - every time.

I'm not going to say it's cost effective, because I spend a lot of money testing stuff. But I will say it's fun, and I always get exactly what I want. That's why I build my own.

All the best,
                Glenn

Comment

Is it cost effective yes. Self satisfying yes. Just like anything else, once you get your supplies and setup (equipment) it starts paying off. Besides it is the only way to truly find what works with your setup.
                  Roy

Comment

Has anyone worked with the smaller diameter carbon shafts like VAP's or Easton FMJ ?

Comment

Shaft size shouldn't really matter. I shoot Easton Axis and fletch them with a Arizona EZ fletch mini and haven't ever had any problems.

Comment

I just like doing it. Not worried about the cost aspect. It's all about creating your own look.

Comment

Cost way less in down time. I bought a jig last week and have set up all my target and hunting arrows. Now I don't have to wait for the shop to get them done and I can spend time shooting.

Comment

Me. Order shafts, get them cut, glue the inserts in, put a wrap on them a wrap on my FOB's and put the nock in the FOB and the FOB/nock on the shaft and I am good to go. Only down time is waiting for the insert glue to dry.

Comment

I cut my arrows, glue in inserts, clean back of shaft with comet(abraisive), clean with 90% alcohol (takes off any oils), then glue vanes on.

P.S. Do not use fletch-tite platinum. All of my vanes fell off the last time i used it.

Last edited by skrobo; 02-11-2014, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X