Ballistic tests (broadheads)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so, i was looking for some info for some broadheads and stumbled upon this guys' youtube site. He's tested, and I might say, consistently tested the same way every time with each broadhead.

Share your videos with friends, family, and the world

update: should of titled it "Ballistic gel test"
    Last edited by doppelganger; 01-30-2014, 05:15 PM. Reason: title update

very interesting. and kind of addicting... ha

Comment

the muzzy and ramcats look great for fixed blades...i didn't look up the diameter of each to see if they are the same.

Comment

Ballistic jello broadhead tests are absolutely useless.

Comment

Originally posted by Ragin' View Post
          What do you suggest

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel75 View Post
            What do you suggest

Shoulders. Bones, meat and blood. I've saw several ballistic gel tests show a mech go deeper than a 2 blade Zwickey. I saw one once that a field tip out penetrate the broadheads. Ballistic gel is made for bullets. Not broadheads.

You can get cattle scapula's from a butcher. Or do like I do. Kill something then do the tests on a fresh kill. Nothing simulates a deer, hog etc like a deer, hog etc.
            Last edited by JW; 01-30-2014, 09:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ragin' View Post
              I wouldn't say useless, if all the tests are the same for every shot. it gives you a sense of how they compare to each other within a consistent medium. gel != animal flesh/bone, that is true

Comment

typically the media is used to fingerprint hydrostatic shock, so I agree it imparts little insight into a projectile that kills by way of the cut.

Comment

I'm confused why the ballistic gel wouldn't prove anything. If one broadhead penetrates better than the other in the same medium, it penetrates better. Right?

Comment

Originally posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
                    I'm confused why the ballistic gel wouldn't prove anything. If one broadhead penetrates better than the other in the same medium, it penetrates better. Right?

Nope. Not when a jackknife style mech goes as deep as a Zwickey in it. And anybody with any sense knows in soft tissue coc 2 blades out penetrate anything.

Comment

One batch of ballistic gel is not the same as the last batch and so on. Fun to watch, but not a true test of the BH's ability to penetrate.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                        One batch of ballistic gel is not the same as the last batch and so on. Fun to watch, but not a true test of the BH's ability to penetrate.

Hell me n you don't know what we are talking about. There is only 70 years of bowhunting/broadhead testing experience between me n you.

FYI; ur older.

Comment

Yes I am!

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post

Ok but what about side by side comparisons in the same piece of gel? You know like when they stack like 6 arrows into one block. Can one batch of ballistic gel vary in density, depending on the spot?
                            (Honest question not trying to stir things up)

Comment

I'm guessing ragin and mudslinger are old. Ragin you got to stop busting peoples bubbles. You know people are sensitive now days. Any way my broadhead is better then your broadhead

Comment

Working...
                              X