Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New toy, but a little nervous

I just picked this up,

pretty much free to me, from a guy that hadn't used it in a while. He said he thought it needed new cables and string, and I can see why.

I also noticed that one of the cams is dinged right at the tip of the lobe.

And, I called my local bow store, and they wanted north of $100 for a set of cables and a new string, which is way more than I wanted to drop on a free bow. I can pick them up on feebay for less than half that from a number of vendors. Surely they don't all suck. Anybody got a clue which ones don't?

So, here's the $64 question, anybody in the Houston area able and willing to look this thing over for me, make sure it's not going to blow up in my hand and install a set of strings? I'm just a poor dumb trad guy, these newfangled wheelie bows are beyond me :-)

Thanks
    James

worth the cost of new string/cables

congrats on the new to you bow!

Comment

If the cost of the new string and cable(s) includes tuning and getting the bow shooting and in spec I would say it was money well spent on a free bow

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
        If the cost of the new string and cable(s) includes tuning and getting the bow shooting and in spec I would say it was money well spent on a free bow
        ^^^This^^^ And you'll need a new cam... yours is more than what I'd call "dinged".

Comment

I would be way more worried about the cam than the strings.

Comment

Korbins's Strings
            TBH discount on them for around $60 I think.
            Does need a cam,
            I would install strings and tune free of charge, but I'm 4.5 hrs from you

Comment

Ok, so I think I have the string question covered. As for the cam, is it "not ready to take on a big hunt like that" or "Don't shoot that thing, it's a trip to the emergency room waiting to happen!"?

Comment

ER candidate for sure! That came is going to eat whatever string is on there.

Comment

Originally posted by jskeen View Post
                  Ok, so I think I have the string question covered. As for the cam, is it "not ready to take on a big hunt like that" or "Don't shoot that thing, it's a trip to the emergency room waiting to happen!"?
                  Don't shoot.....

Comment

that cam is a razor blade waiting to cut that rubber band....would be an awful event

The cam is scary looking

Comment

Once you take the strong off, just use a pair of pliers to bend out the nicked part on the cam.

Comment

drinker tool

The cam is pretty beefy there if you reshape a groove and. Remove any sharp edge .should shoot safely again

Comment

that cam should be fine, long as you take off the sharp edges while the string's off. i doubt the string even moves on that part of the cam when you draw, the thing to check is if it's bent or not.

oh, you can shoot it with the strings like that, but i wouldn't do it for very long.
                          Last edited by skrobo; 02-11-2014, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
                            I would be way more worried about the cam than the strings.
                            That is a little too much of a ding to be safe. I would be nervous shooting it as well. JMO, replace the cam and it looks like the string and cable could be reserved and be usable.

Comment

Working...
                            X