Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paper Tuning (who does it)?

So,
    Just wanting to get a feel as to how important you guys think it is to paper tune. Anytime you can finer tune a system the better more accurate it is, but who is doing paper tuning?

Two questions:
    Why do you do it?
    Why don't you do it?

Personally, I don't know enough about tuning to do it myself (It is on my list of things to learn though). When I got my bow set up at Nocked and Loaded they did paper tune it for me as it is part of their tuning process. As for your 2 questions:

Why do you do it? I would like to learn it because the better your bow is tuned the better it will shoot.

Why don't I do it? Don't know how yet. And haven't had a chance to try it myself.

Comment

Tuning a bow is very important. Paper tuning is a great way to start the bow in the right direction, but it is not the end all be all if you want to shoot fixed blade broadheads. I suggest downloading the easton tuning guide, and "get your hands dirty" by trying to tune your bow yourself. Good luck.

Comment

I will usually start off by paper tuning to get everything close. I then will walk back tune, and finish off with broadheads. I think paper tuning is a good start, so your adjustments are smaller once you start fine tuning your bow to shoot your fixed blades. After paper tuning and walk back tuning, I usually don't have to make many adjustments for broadheads.

Comment

I have never paper tuned a bow. I have seen them shooting bullet holes perfectly and screw on a BH and miss the whole target.

Comment

Originally posted by Brack View Post
            I will usually start off by paper tuning to get everything close. I then will walk back tune, and finish off with broadheads. I think paper tuning is a good start, so your adjustments are smaller once you start fine tuning your bow to shoot your fixed blades. After paper tuning and walk back tuning, I usually don't have to make many adjustments for broadheads.
            I will have to add "Walk back tuning" to the list of things to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
              I have never paper tuned a bow. I have seen them shooting bullet holes perfectly and screw on a BH and miss the whole target.
              me too, when the blades on the broadhead were on crooked/bent, one blade of the rage was loose, or it was a little crooked in relation to the arrow.

I always paper tune my bow, get it shooting perfect bullet holes at 2 yards and 5 yards, then sight it in out to 70 yards with field points, and shoot broadheads to check flight every 10 yards out to 70.

no walkback tuning for me (yet?)

Comment

I paper tune with a bare shaft because you can see the smallest tear. I then shoot with blazers to make sure weight of fletching didnt change. Make sure trajectory falls vertical next by walk back tuning and then screw on a broadhead to make sure it is close. Slick tricks have always been pretty close.

Comment

Originally posted by Drewboy22 View Post
                  Personally, I don't know enough about tuning to do it myself (It is on my list of things to learn though). When I got my bow set up at Nocked and Loaded they did paper tune it for me as it is part of their tuning process. As for your 2 questions:

Why do you do it? I would like to learn it because the better your bow is tuned the better it will shoot.

Why don't I do it? Don't know how yet. And haven't had a chance to try it myself.
                  There is one problem with tuning at the bow shop. If you buy a new bow or a new string, often times, it takes a few shots for that string and cable to settle. Some claim their strings settle in as little as a few shots, but sometimes it can take as many as 50 shots or more. So when you leave the bow shop, your bow may be in tune, but as you shoot it at home, it can get out of tune as the string and cable finish settling in. Good to be able to do your own tuning.

Comment

Originally posted by Brack View Post
                    There is one problem with tuning at the bow shop. If you buy a new bow or a new string, often times, it takes a few shots for that string and cable to settle. Some claim their strings settle in as little as a few shots, but sometimes it can take as many as 50 shots or more. So when you leave the bow shop, your bow may be in tune, but as you shoot it at home, it can get out of tune as the string and cable finish settling in. Good to be able to do your own tuning.
                    great catch...always need to have a break-in period to get it settled in and then go forward with fine tuning/sighting

Comment

Working...
                    X