Which cartridge for elk hunt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
    Really interesting response - I'm glad I asked the green screen. Thanks!

I'd expected some votes for the 6.5x284, especially as it'll be my high falutin' rifle and really dialed in by that point. It's intended as the perfect axis gun so I'm not disappointed, just surprised.

I also expected more 300WM votes, especially since it would mean a new rifle.

So are the big 7's ( 7 WBY / 7 Rem Mag / 28 Nos / 280AI on the low side) the ideal elk cartridges in your minds, even better than the 300s?
    I’m a 6.5x284 fan. I have one and wife does too. We’ve shot 3 cow elk and 1 bull elk and my buddy also shot a cow elk in last 2 years from 170yds to 800yds. All one shot kill and all were down less than 15yds except one that went 75yds. Using 140gr Berger VLD. Have had some people say it’s not enough gun and not big enough for an elk. But it’s done the job for us just fine. A 7mm round may be too much gun for the shooter “like my wife” so I’d prefer she shoot something she shoot really well and not be recoil shy from a bigger round and have confident in making a great 1st shot. I do believe a 7mm round is great for elk but would not ignore a 6.5x284. Like a good buddy of mine said about calibers for elk hunting. 6.5 puts them on the ground, 7 puts them in heaven. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by JustinJ View Post
      all those guns are horrible for elk. So buy a new one

If for no other reason than having a reason to buy one

^^^^^^^^^^^

Super duper advice ! Always a time to celebrate a new hunt with a new weapon !

I’d probably go Browning stainless stalker A bolt in 7mm short mag.

Why ?

Love its ballistics and flatness.

It’s only $800 or so for the gun. Go another $800 for a 50mm scope also in brushed metal to match the stainless barrel.

Done deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post
        If a nice bull walks out and poses broadside at 100 yds, most any caliber from .243 up with a decent bullet will get the job done. But.. late on the fifth day of a $6000 5 day elk hunt, a good bull walks out and stops quartering away from me at 300 yards, just steps away from the dark timber. I want a heavy controlled expansion bullet from a big magnum that will penetrate and break the off shoulder. That would be either my .300 Win Mag with a 200 grain bullet, or my .338 with a 250 grain bullet. And yes, I can handle the big magnums, my deer rifle has been a .300 Win Mag since 1977.
        I 100% agree, 338 win mag with a 250 grain nosler partition is the best elk medicine I've seen.

Comment

I've only shot 1 elk. A 600+ lb cow at a little over 300 yards. 7mm Rem mag and 160 gr Nosler Accubond did the trick. Shot her low in the shoulder and she made it about 15-20 yards. My next Elk hunt will be with my 300 win and 180 gr Trophy Bonded Tips with my 35 Whelen and 225 gr Accubonds for a back up.

Comment

Ditto

Originally posted by cricman View Post
            .270 with a premium 150+ grain bullet; plenty of kinetic energy and the longer heavier bullets will give you a better BC. There is no replacement for good shot placement!

cricman
            Practice too.

Comment

seems like a good reason to buy a new rifle.

Comment

This one is a softball question. You obviously need to build a custom rifle and get a sweet scope for it. I would tell your wife that none of your current rifles are true elk calibers. Build something you don't have but need. Since you would need a new custom rifle/scope combo for Africa larger than .300, don't go too big. I would opt to have APR build you a new custom carbon fiber .300 WinMag. It would be crazy to spend all that money on an elk hunt and fail because you were not properly armed!

Comment

Originally posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
                  Really interesting response - I'm glad I asked the green screen. Thanks!

I'd expected some votes for the 6.5x284, especially as it'll be my high falutin' rifle and really dialed in by that point. It's intended as the perfect axis gun so I'm not disappointed, just surprised.

I also expected more 300WM votes, especially since it would mean a new rifle.

So are the big 7's ( 7 WBY / 7 Rem Mag / 28 Nos / 280AI on the low side) the ideal elk cartridges in your minds, even better than the 300s?
                  I have an outfitter friend from Wyoming that loves his 6.5 CM. I have seen several videos of one shot elk kills he sent me in ranges of 200-600 yards. He sent them when I was trying to pick a caliber for my recent build. With a good bullet and keeping ranges reasonable I wouldn’t hesitate to take the 6.5-284. I have seen what a 7mm-08 will do on big critters. Good bullets in the vitals do wonders!

Comment

Working...
                  X