A/C compressor noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A/C compressor noise

About one of 20 starts, my home A/C outside unit emits a loud growling type of noise for 10 - 30 seconds. I'm thinking the compressor is going out. Any thoughts?

Might need a hard start kit or whatever they are called now.

Comment

Mine has done that for the last 4 years at least. Once it's running, it's normal. Just sounds like it's about to blow for a few seconds. I put a hard start kit on it when it first started with no help. Just figured I'll wait for it to die and then replace the compressor.

Comment

Could just be the position of the txv upon startup. Once it adjusts, the noise will subside. This may or may not be helped with the addition of a start kit. but if it does have a txv, it should have a start kit, so it wouldn't hurt to install one anyway.

Or the end is near. How old is it?

Comment

Originally posted by bowhntrmatt View Post
          Could just be the position of the txv upon startup. Once it adjusts, the noise will subside. This may or may not be helped with the addition of a start kit. but if it does have a txv, it should have a start kit, so it wouldn't hurt to install one anyway.

What is a txv?

It's a scroll compressor and about 7 or 8 years old.

Comment

You missing a cat?

Comment

Originally posted by bowhntrmatt View Post

I concur ! While an expansion valve is fantastic to have for the efficiency value, it can cause a condensing unit to make some odd noises when it is short-cycled.

Originally posted by treestand View Post
              What is a txv?

It's a scroll compressor and about 7 or 8 years old.
              A TXV ( thermostatic expansion valve ) is a metering device in the refrigerant circuit, normally located on or near the evaporator coil on a residential a/c system.

Comment

Is it a heat pump? Could be a reversing valve/defrost board acting up.

Comment

Sounds like the new Copeland tiger model. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by krisw View Post
                    Might need a hard start kit or whatever they are called now.

Hard start kit = time for new unit

Comment

Could be as simple as a fan bearing starting to seize. Not that big of a problem. New fans are simple to replace

Comment

If it has not been doing this it could also , what we call eating liquid. Not enough air flow across the coil. Dirty filter. This will cause the compressor to flood so on start up it has liquid freon on the top of compressor. So on start up it will sound like a desiel.

This is just one problem. There have been others already given

Comment

Originally posted by enewman View Post
                          If it has not been doing this it could also , what we call eating liquid. Not enough air flow across the coil. Dirty filter. This will cause the compressor to flood so on start up it has liquid freon on the top of compressor. So on start up it will sound like a desiel.

This is just one problem. There have been others already given

30 years in the industry and never heard the phrase "eating liquid"

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Saggy View Post
                            30 years in the industry and never heard the phrase "eating liquid"
                            Must be a west Texas thang. How about slugging liquid.

Could be a new phrase. I've only been in it for 24 years. I still remember charging a unit to beer cold. On the suction line
                            Last edited by enewman; 07-01-2015, 07:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by enewman View Post
                              Must be a west Texas thang. How about slugging liquid.

Could be a new phrase. I've only been in it for 24 years. I still remember charging a unit to beer cold. On the suction line

Lol

Charge until the big temp drop on the suc line

I understand

Comment

Working...
                              X