Best lawn sprinkler?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best lawn sprinkler?

I have a sprinkler system but would like to supplement it with a hose sprinkler in a few areas. I’ve tried a couple from Lowe’s and the local hardware store and both broke within the first 2 weeks. I’m looking for a relatively well made sprinkler the keeps the water fairly low to avoid drift. Also looking for maximum coverage area.

What is the size of the are you are trying to cover? I dont have a sprinkler system but have had the same ongoing issue with trying to water my yard snd garden without breakage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Buy one made of metal instead of plastic

Comment

I had the same problem. As pointed out, get an all metal system. I bought some of these last month and have used them twice and am so far happy.

Shop Orbit 6200-sq ft Impulse Spike Lawn Sprinkler at Lowe's.com. The Orbit brass impact head is constructed of heavy-duty brass and delivers years of dependable water coverage. Easily adjust the spray pattern from a partial

Comment

I got one from tractor supply that has been great. It has the big metal head and it is on a tripod. For max coverage the traveling "tractor" I have has been awesome and super durable so far.

Comment

i thought I had a pic on my phone but I don't. I've got almost 2 acres that I have to water and no in ground system so this is a big issue for me. I feel I've tried them all.

the tripod type from tractor supply is probably the best off the shelf sprinkler I've tried, however I've had 2 that have broken at the plastic pieces that keep the legs from spreading too far. $40 a pop, get $$$ real quick on those. but good coverage.

I ended up building my own out of PVC. I've got different designs because I used whatever parts I had at the time. but essentially just have a 3/4" or 1/2" male thread left open to screw into an in ground sprinkler head. this way if one craps out, you just screw in another one. plus you can build the pvc to whatever height you need. I've got one that is about a 1' tall and it shoots probably 60' or more.

as far as the spray heads themselves. I've tried a couple. the k2 brand is pretty good but since I use water from the lake, ive recently switched out to the $19 oscillating ones. both HD and Lowes have the same one. I think it's orbit. overall they shoot out more water and cover a bigger circle. plus they are made for grey water so don't clog as much.

Comment

I just went through the sprinkler quiz. I tried the tripod mounted impulse, and spot sprinklers. I ended up with the oscillating sprinklers because they work well with square areas where everthing else throws a circular pattern. I found it was helpful to put one of those cheap ball valves somewhere in the hose to throttle the flow to control the area being watered and avoid watering the driveway or street. Got them from Amazon for less than $20.

Comment

just fix your system

Comment

I bought tripod sprinklers from Amazon and replaced the heads with rainbird. I've always hated messing with sprinklers and have spent tons of money trying to find the right ones. I finally found one that fits the bill and have been extremely happy with them.

SOMMERLAND Brass Impact Tripod Sprinkler

Comment

Years ago I reconfigured my backyard (moved fences, put in beds) so the original sprinkler system does not cover efficiently. I know the long term answer is a redesign - moving some heads and adding more but I have never gotten around to it. My backyard is about 1/3 acre and I use this to cover the 15% or so that stays dry otherwise:
                    https://www.amazon.com/Gilmour-Metal.../dp/B0036G6J0U As others have said, all-metal is the key

Comment

Thanks to all - lots of great info!

Comment

Originally posted by Bruiser View Post
                        just fix your system
                        I will be happy to if you will fit the bill?

I'm over $3K in on repairs to it this year so spending $50 - $75 on a few hose sprinklers to supplement it is going to have to do the job for a while...

Comment

My experience is that if you live in an area with a lot of dissolved minerals in the water, almost all of them, from cheap plastic to expensive metal, will start to break down over time. Orifices will become clogged, rotating heads start to stick, etc... I reckon you could soak them in vinegar or CLR every year, but that's not cheap. I end up using some old plastic sprinklers like this:

They hold up really well and you can use 1, 2, or all 3 as needed.

Of course, One of my other favorite solutions is to stand in my front yard wearing Bermuda shorts, black knee-high socks, and olive green Crocs on and spray the hot spots on the lawn. Not very efficient, but I get to release my inner "Cranky SOB" a couple times a month!

cricman

Comment

100' hose and a lawn tractor does best for me.. going 4 years strong

Comment

Originally posted by Plain Lucky View Post
                              I will be happy to if you will fit the bill?

I'm over $3K in on repairs to it this year so spending $50 - $75 on a few hose sprinklers to supplement it is going to have to do the job for a while...
                              ur not going to spend much more to ad a head or two. sounds like ur problem iss worse than that

Comment

Working...
                              X