Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eastxhunter View Post
    Feeders are worthless in east texas

It can be if you're doing it wrong. I've got about 100 dead deer that will say different. Like I said in my post. The way I use a feeder is like hand corning, but I don't have to be out there all the time to keep deer close.

Comment

If you have killed 100 deer in east Texas at a feeder then yes you have something working and I wouldn’t change it. In past 10 years I don’t have 100 pics of deer at feeders, but I may be doing it wrong or hunting a different animal all together. But if it works keep at it

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
        If you have killed 100 deer in east Texas at a feeder then yes you have something working and I wouldn’t change it. In past 10 years I don’t have 100 pics of deer at feeders, but I may be doing it wrong or hunting a different animal all together. But if it works keep at it

The key is that the deer don't know they are at a feeder. It's the same thing as hand corn, but I'm not leaving my scent out there hand corning

Comment

Going and refill small bucket every 10 days in my area would be the same amount of traffic... but my property might not be the same to navigate in and out of as yours

Comment

Good thread, keep it coming!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
              The key is that the deer don't know they are at a feeder. It's the same thing as hand corn, but I'm not leaving my scent out there hand corning
              I have been back hunting east Texas since 2014 now. Jasper/Buna/Colmesneil area. The Buna property has different activity at feeders than the Colmesneil area. I have been trying to devise a good stand and fill feeder with a directional unit on it to try to hide the feeder and get corn out regularly. I have also looked into the “ghost feeder” or whatever it’s called and try to hang a feeder high and out of sight without sound of a feeder either. I think feeders work in east Texas, but they have to not be obvious, for the most part, and you have to not be obvious yourself. I have pictures of good deer at a feeder but briefly, not regular. You compete with rut and acorns and a feeder is not a place to put all your eggs in one basket. I have the land available to find the routes and bedding areas but don’t have the time. So I hang 1-2 ladder stands and hand corn those spots and have decent deer traffic. Better than my feeder traffic. I have the same 4-5 does that stay at the feeder area.

Comment

Agreed, BBReezen

I do have one directionally feeder that I set up last year near a pop up blind. I had a few decent bucks, and several does visit. The older bucks never showed. It's still a better alternative that setting up a barrel feeder and thinking a shooter buck will feed under it. They do sometimes, but most East Texas bucks avoid feeders.
                Last edited by AntlerCollector; 08-11-2018, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Here's a couple more pics of deer under my bucket feeder from last season.

Of course there is always an exception to the rule I actually had a 161" buck at my feeder last season. 99.9% of the time that won't happen in East Texas

Comment

I live right by my lease so filling the feeder every 10 days is easy for me. I have a buddy that uses a 30 gallon feeder and winch attached to a tree. He is still able to get the feeder up and out of sight that way. To do that you need a good enough tree to support it, and a sucker willing to climb it and attach a pulley

His feeder is hanging from a big oak that produces acorns. It has worked well for him.

Comment

One more thing OP, if you haven't already, check out this thread.

Comment

I live right by my lease so filling the feeder every 10 days is easy for me. I have a buddy that uses a 30 gallon feeder and winch attached to a tree. He is still able to get the feeder up and out of sight that way. To do that you need a good enough tree to support it, and a sucker willing to climb it and attach a pulley

His feeder is hanging from a big oak that produces acorns. It has worked well for him.
                        You have hogs? I live 70 yards from property so access is easy fo me. If I feed regular at same place more than 4 days hogs. Guaranteed 100% hogs. So by not drawing them to my “deer” set ups I can hunt the places they want to be naturally and add corn when I’m there to stop them or draw them into a shooting lane. Every area is so different from the pine cone deer to the hardwood deer. That is generally due to acreage. Central east is typically bigger land than northern east, with exception to red river area

Comment

I have two feeders, but I have a short fence around them to keep the pigs out. I have ladder stands at least 100 yards away. In 5 years of having the fence around the feeders, I have a picture of ONE small buck inside the fence. Plenty of does, but no bucks get inside the fence besides one.

Comment

Originally posted by Grndchecker View Post
                            I have two feeders, but I have a short fence around them to keep the pigs out. I have ladder stands at least 100 yards away. In 5 years of having the fence around the feeders, I have a picture of ONE small buck inside the fence. Plenty of does, but no bucks get inside the fence besides one.
                            I’d believe it. I put a 10 panel short hog panel around a feeder that was ALL deer that the pigs had taken over..... 6 months ZERO deer. Took off 2 panels, 4 hours hogs back

Comment

You have hogs? I live 70 yards from property so access is easy fo me. If I feed regular at same place more than 4 days hogs. Guaranteed 100% hogs. So by not drawing them to my “deer” set ups I can hunt the places they want to be naturally and add corn when I’m there to stop them or draw them into a shooting lane. Every area is so different from the pine cone deer to the hardwood deer. That is generally due to acreage. Central east is typically bigger land than northern east, with exception to red river area
                              Yes I have hogs. I let the feeder throw a few seconds in the mornings only. This helps a lot with hogs finding it. Also if I do get hogs coming in to my bow set up I will try to hunt them asap. I have killed a couple at that spot in the pics I posted, but they typically are at other hunters set ups eating corn all night at their feeders

Comment

Yes I have hogs. I let the feeder throw a few seconds in the mornings only. This helps a lot with hogs finding it. Also if I do get hogs coming in to my bow set up I will try to hunt them asap. I have killed a couple at that spot in the pics I posted, but they typically are at other hunters set ups eating corn all night at their feeders
                                Hand corn or pipe feeder is my way. The deer will stay wherever you feed them at. I just prefer keeping it quiet. Ive never seen many big deer around broadcsst feeders but i lmow it happens. Biggest factor is the ease of access in my opinion. If you are close by and can feed every few weeks id use a pipe feeder. If its not convinient then you may want a larger capacity feeder like a braodcast style.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X