School me on wooden arrows....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

School me on wooden arrows....

So in January I will put in my order to Bob for a Mystic 50# @ 28" Superstion. I have been hounded by my buddies to go all out and go with wood vs carbon. What do I need to look at getting. I have been flipping throught a 3 rivers catalog and found two type of arrows that interst me. One is the POC arrows and the other is Lami Birch. Does anyone on here know where I can get arrows made at a reasonable price? I like the ones below but would add white crest to them.
    Attached Files

Call or PM Jeffro,Bounty hunter on TBH for your wood arrow needs. Wyatt Webb is another very good source for woodies. You will be sorry if you get three rivers arrows before you buy from these guys. Three Rivers is a very good company I buy lots of archery supplys from them just not wood arrows.

Comment

Stay away from laminated birch. They are tough but will not stay straight. PM Bountyhunter and see what he can do for you on a budget..

Comment

Has anybody mentioned Bounty Hunter yet? If you facebook check out Bounty Hunter Traditional Arrows there, lot of good pictures of his work.

Comment

One more for Jeffro and Bountyhunter! Their plain janes are very reasonably priced

Comment

Originally posted by rubydog View Post
            Stay away from laminated birch. They are tough but will not stay straight.
            That is a fact. If you want a tougher, heavier shaft I'd recommend Douglas Fir. That is what I've been hunting with this year and they have been great in all departments.

BTW I do have the stain like the arrows in your picture......
            Last edited by bountyhunter; 12-15-2012, 10:02 AM.

Comment

BH I will contact you when my bow comes in.

Comment

Here is the best thing you can learn about wood arrows.......they burn really nicely!

Bisch

Comment

Look at Twig archery website for wood arrows, also.

Comment

I also would avoid 3 rivers arrows. For about the same "bang for the buck" you can get much better arrows from a local supplier. Wyatt Webb builds very good arrows. Not sure how much you want to spend, but one of the best our there is Elite Arrows, Paul Jalon. Paul will send you a test kit to figure out what spine you need. Forget anything about carbon arrows. Wood is just different. No worries just need to find the right spine for your recipe. The ingredients are: actual bow weight @ your draw length, point weight, arrow length from bottom of the nock groove to back of point, string material (# of strands), fletching size, and the centershot measurement. These are the factors.

Comment

What the heck is nubbin buck? I am new to the forum.

Comment

I am new to the forum, not to trad bowhunting, so here is the website

elitearrows dot com

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonheart View Post
                          I also would avoid 3 rivers arrows. For about the same "bang for the buck" you can get much better arrows from a local supplier. Wyatt Webb builds very good arrows. Not sure how much you want to spend, but one of the best our there is Elite Arrows, Paul Jalon. Paul will send you a test kit to figure out what spine you need. Forget anything about carbon arrows. Wood is just different. No worries just need to find the right spine for your recipe. The ingredients are: actual bow weight @ your draw length, point weight, arrow length from bottom of the nock groove to back of point, string material (# of strands), fletching size, and the centershot measurement. These are the factors.
                          Does Wyatt Webb have a website?

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonheart View Post
                            What the heck is nubbin buck? I am new to the forum.
                            Nubbin buck is just saying that you are new, as you post more you will "grow" more points. It is sign to show how long you have been here and how active a poster you are.

Comment

LW, when you are ready to make some up let me know. I'll be ordering another raw dozen in January, I already have the taper tool. I can't exactly show you how to make perfect arrows, but I can show you how to make imperfect arrows.

Comment

Working...
                              X