Sheath and Knife scales...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sheath and Knife scales...

After seeing a thread today on how long it takes to make a sheath, I decided to try and see how long it actually does take me to make a sheath with moderate tooling.

First, the knife. I just finished putting the scales on this blade last night so I figured I needed a sheath for it now. First, I traced out the shape of the knife...

Then, I doubled the pattern and traced it onto the 8-9oz leather...

I then cut out the pattern, making a small adjustment to the shape...

Next, I added in the tooling of a simple basket weave and border...

Almost forgot to add the belt loop...

Checked everything over and then stain/antiqued both pieces inside and out...

Stitched on the loop...

Stitched up the rest and actually has a really good fit...

One last look with the knife out. Scales are mesquite. I think this will make a nice little skinner/caper....

All in, it took me 1 hr 38 mins. It's still drying and needs buffing, but it's basically done....

Really digging that blade and sheath...

Comment

That seems blazing fast to me. I've never worked leather a day in my life but there are youtube videos 8 hours long for making a wallet. I would love to get into this but I just don't have the time. Great work!

Comment

Some projects can take a lot of time if you are doing a lot of carving and tooling. On top of that if you are painting, glueing and dyeing it takes even longer. For me this one was pretty simple compared to a lot of the work I do so it wasn't that bad.

Comment

Good job, looks a whole lot better than the first one I made, many years ago.]

Comment

Working...
          X