Strung up bow backwards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What turns out to be a relatively frequent occurrence is this:

Recurve bows & strings, that are built going strictly by AMO standards will often be where the string will just slightly flex the limbs when placed on the bow backwards.

The old timers believed (me too, even though I don't practice it) , that placing the string on the bow this way for storage helped keep the the limbs nice & straight.

The bottom line is, unless the string is reverse flexing the limbs a great amount, or you try to shoot the bow strung backwards, there's nothing wrong with doing it, and it's a good way to keep up with the string while the bow & string are in storage.

Rick

Comment

To be honest I'd wondered about this also as I've seen plenty of them on Ebay and CL for sale strung backwards.

Richard

Comment

I have 3 of them strung like that as I type.
        I don't shoot them much.

Comment

I don't advise that on any Selfbow . I don't care how old you are. And I am old. Lol Arvin

Comment

Been at this a long time, shooting 60 years and dad had an archery shop back in the 60's. We always discourage the practice of stringing the bow backwards. Don't really know if there has been a study if this can damage the bow or not. BUT how do you store the bow when strung backwards? Seems like if would be difficult to hang.

Make a string keeper to hold the string up and hang your bow. String keepers are easy to make. You can use the finder tips from old leather gloves and a piece of leather boot lace.

And yes, I am old school.

Comment

Working...
            X