CHL question for LEO or lawyer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CHL question for LEO or lawyer

Took my daughter to a play at Dallas’ Fair Park tonight. Just to verify I checked the website in advance and sure enough 30.06/30.07 is not in effect so I packed.
    When I got there they were wanding everyone going in so I produced my CHL and was directed to another man who asked to see my DL and CHL. I happily complied and he verified they were both me but then he asked me to fill out a form and put my license number, name, expiration date and my seat location.

This I did but wasn’t happy about it.
    It strikes me as an unlawful registry of sorts.
    What say you?

While it is not ideal, at least you could carry and have some peace of mind that you could protect your family and yourself if it hit the fan.

Comment

I don't know what the Dallas Fair Park is. Is it a private location or is it owned/operated by the county or city? I'm not an attorney, but I am LEO. If its private, I believe they can pretty much do as they please, requiring you to jump through whatever hoops they wish and refusing you entry if you don't wish to comply. I don't really know if it would be considered a type of "unlawful registry" or not.

Comment

Originally posted by rockyraider View Post
        I don't know what the Dallas Fair Park is. Is it a private location or is it owned/operated by the county or city? I'm not an attorney, but I am LEO. If its private, I believe they can pretty much do as they please, requiring you to jump through whatever hoops they wish and refusing you entry if you don't wish to comply. I don't really know if it would be considered a type of "unlawful registry" or not.
        I think fair park as a whole is city owned but the the theater portion may be private I don't know.

Comment

i carry at the state fair every year, never an issue

Comment

The part in the law about fairs is written for the state fair specifically. But the music building may be private, not sure but doesn't surprise me being handled like that as it is ran by entertainment types.

I wonder how sensitive the metal detectors are at the ranger games. Been through several times with a rod from knee to hip, and 2 in my back. Last time I had a small pocketknife in my pocket also and that didn't trip it either. Sorry for the thread redirect.

Comment

Heaven forbid something happen at the event...they would be able to at least eliminate suspects that had guns at the place I would think. I’m not a LEO, but I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night.

Comment

Originally posted by Japeatr View Post
                i carry at the state fair every year, never an issue
                Interesting. Last time I went to the state fair (and only time) I had a small pocket knife that they would not allow me in with. Handgun OK? Knife not?

Comment

I can't help other than it is caled an LTC now, not a CHL anymore :-) .

I only know because due to health reasons I waited until the online classes got rolling and only had to in person to shoot. I just received it in the mail today. It says License to Carry Firearms across the top.

It is semantics I know. I am just excited to finally get it after living here 20 months and wanted to tell you all haha.

Comment

Working...
                  X