Oregon Outdoors 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oregon Outdoors 2.0

It’s been awhile since I have posted. We added a new hunter to the family 2 months ago and we have just been really busy.

Well we are at under a week until spring bear starts here in Oregon and turkey season starts not long after. So I thought I would start another thread with our adventures since the last one did pretty well and I think a lot of the people here enjoy it.

So I’ll start with this weekend of getting the new 6.5 creedmor all sighted in for the wife for bear season. It’s a shooter and it’s a fun rifle to shoot. We were even able to get the oldest daughter to shoot it a couple times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s been a slow spring so far. Lots of rain and wind has kept us from going out. Though we did get out Monday but it didn’t produce any critters. Found a new area to check out so will probably get in there Saturday. Turkey season starts Sunday for us so it will be a nice change of pace in the meantime. Here are a couple pictures from the trip out.

Comment

following!

Comment

Spotted our first bear of the season tonight. Not what we wanted to shoot as it’s probably a 2 year old. Though it was fun to see and we did find a bunch of great sign. Weather should be getting better next week so until then we will be turkey hunting.

Comment

Where in Oregon do you live?

Keep the pics coming and good luck

Comment

Originally posted by perow View Post
            Where in Oregon do you live?

Keep the pics coming and good luck

I live right outside of Eugene.

Hit the turkey woods last night but got schooled. They didn’t care for the decoys and it sent them the other way. We will have a few days off then back at it this weekend.

Comment

Things have been pretty slow up until last night. I landed a new piece of property that is loaded with turkeys and the property owner wants them gone. Easy enough so we headed out last night to see if we could get the first of our 3 tags a piece filled. At about 6 pm we had turkeys everywhere and I was able to call in 3 toms 2 different times. The first go around resulted in a miss from the wife but I told her to be patient and more will come in. Sure enough a nice 9” bearded Tom came in with 2 others and she whacked him. In all the commotion a big double bearded Tom cane running over to see what was happening and I was able to stick him while getting it all on film at about 10 yards. Hoping to get out on some bears soon and we will be hitting the turkeys again real soon.

Comment

Congrats on the birds.

My wife has family in Ashland and I have never had the desire to go visit but after all your threads I may need to go say hi

Comment

Originally posted by perow View Post
                  Congrats on the birds.

My wife has family in Ashland and I have never had the desire to go visit but after all your threads I may need to go say hi

It’s worth it trust me. You’ll want to come back.

Comment

Nice birds! Do you run any elk archery hunts? If so, are they OTC or draw only?

Comment

Originally posted by stickman View Post
                      Nice birds! Do you run any elk archery hunts? If so, are they OTC or draw only?

I don’t but know some people who do as in friends. Yes most archery hunts are OTC.

Comment

Oregon Outdoors 2.0

If you have Facebook you can follow along at Wild Hart Outdoors and we may very well be doing a live video hunt from the turkey blind this evening. Just wanted to throw it out there.

Last edited by Whirlwind; 04-21-2018, 04:27 PM.

Comment

Congrats on the birds.

Rwc

Comment

Wished I’d seen some of your post a couple years ago. I flew up there for an internal audit at International Paper and stayed few days. One of the afternoons we rode around trying to view the country. Saw some nice woods.

Comment

Yesterday I had the opportunity to take a young kid who is 12 turkey hunting. He actually just started shooting his bow 4 months ago and got to the point he was pulling over 35 pounds and grouping a soda can size at 20 yards. His family doesn’t hunt and he has always wanted to try it so I had told him that I would take him out if he got himself prepared. Yesterday evening cane and we headed for the ground blind and got things set up. He had never seen a Turkey puff up or even see a lot of turkeys. After about 2 1/2 hours in the blind a big group of turkeys worked past us and were just going nuts on their calling. As they passed us I starting calling pretty aggressively and we got 6-8 hens excited. They circled around and came in all puffed up and just starting attacking the hen decoy. In the middle of all this we glanced over and the 2 Toms made there way into us as they wanted a piece of the action. They positioned themselves at about 12 yards and I told Marshall to slowly draw his bow and as soon as the front one is clear of the hens let him have it. Within 10 seconds all clear and he made a great shot and the Tom ran 20 yards and was done. Lots of high fives and pictures and Marshall had filled his first tag and is able to provide a great meal for his family.

Comment

Working...
                              X