Management 8 Down!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Management 8 Down!

I headed to the lease for the season opener on Friday afternoon. We got up early Saturday as I was hoping to close the deal on an old management buck that was coming in pretty consistently. I saw quite a few deer including some nice young bucks but no shooters. Went back to camp and fixed a batch of bacon wrapped doves and got ready for the afternoon hunt.

I got in the stand a little before five and immediately had deer and turkeys filtering into the feed pen. The feeders went off at six and deer came from everywhere. I turned and looked to my left and saw two nice 8 points that I had never seen on camera or in person. One of them was a no doubt management deer and I prepared for the shot. Both bucks jumped into the pen and the bigger one took the dominant, under the feeder position.

I drew just as he stepped forward and covered his vitals with the feeder leg. I rested the bow on my knee and waited for him to take another step. Finally he did and I released. Just as the arrow left the bow he went to take another step and drew his front leg back across “the pocket.” The arrow hit where I aimed and broke the front leg and lodged in the off side shoulder. As he struggled to get out of the pen, I knew I had a solid lung hit.
    I lost sight of him and heard him crash out of the pen. After a very short time, I thought I heard a loud, final lung hit breath. The other deer that were in the pen were all looking where I heard the sound and I was pretty sure he was down. I waited about forty minutes and headed to where I thought he might be. He made it forty yards and was down for the count. The Thunderhead had broken a leg, pierced both lungs and cracked bone in the offside shoulder.

Back at camp Bruce (Archery1st) and I realized that he had lots of pictures of the big eight from his stand over a mile and a quarter away. The eight point score 129 and change and was five and half years old.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01750E.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	343.8 KB
ID:	24870682

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2046E.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	381.9 KB
ID:	24870683
    Last edited by Cull; 10-03-2011, 08:45 AM.

Beautiful 8! Congrats!

Comment

awesome deer! congrats

Comment

To come across a cull like that would be great!!!

Comment

He's awesome Steve! You keep getting it done every year. A true bowhunting machine! =) Congrats.

Comment

Nice deer!

Comment

Greatness! Congratulations!

Comment

Great 8, Cull

Comment

Great job on a good management 8

Comment

Great buck Steve. Congrats.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                      He's awesome Steve! You keep getting it done every year. A true bowhunting machine! =) Congrats.
                      If you're a deer and Steve wants you on his wall, you're toast!

Congrats on another Kinney County beast. Y'alls lease is just incredible.

Comment

Great deer, congrats

Comment

Nice one.

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Outstanding!!! Congrats Steve. Funny thing is THAT is the deer I went to kill Saturday evening.

Here I was sitting in the stand soaked in sweat and ol' Steve is laying the hammer down over a mile away. I could have been in camp watching the Longhorn game...but that is another story and will be posted later.
                              Last edited by Archery1st; 10-03-2011, 09:05 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X