Owning hunting land vs leasing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Owning hunting land vs leasing

Now that the season is over, those of yall that have had both, which do prefer and how much did you hunt your private land. Size/acres and pertinent info would be appreciated.

Thanx in advance.

Owning land is a lot of work and takes away from hunting time. I have had leases and ran leases. If I want to fill the freezer I just go do it from the porch. If I want to go hunting I would much rather spend the time, money, and effort out West.

Owning land is not everything it is cracked up to be. I fished less and hunted less because I was working on wash outs or burning brush.

Comment

2300 acres owned by my Dad and Uncle never had to deal with leasing land to hunt
      I count my Blessings everytime I go through the Gate

Comment

Own 90 acres/live here. Absolutely love it. To be honest I hunted a lot! I don't even want to tally up the hours and sits. Yeah it is a lot of work but living here is the bonus! I can get majority of the work needed done during off season and hunt during season however honey do's are just a few hundred yards away rather than miles.

If I purchased land 2-3 hrs away then yes it would be different. Every wknd would be more work than play. We leased 1000 acres in Coleman and enjoyed it but I really like having my own place. Make my own decisions, manage how I want and it is such a reward putting a tag on a buck you have watched grow up on Your Land!

Comment

Own, but hunting is a very small part of the work. In fact, I just don't have time to hunt anymore, too many things to do. But I don't have to deal with anyone else unless I choose.

Comment

I have been hunting the same land for 28 years ( lease ) I'd give anything to own a couple hundred acres. That said not owning it i can find another place if i want to change things up and see new country. I never will but i can.

Comment

Originally posted by mpotts View Post
              2300 acres owned by my Dad and Uncle never had to deal with leasing land to hunt
              I count my Blessings everytime I go through the Gate
              Yea, you high rolling Waco boys got it made!!

Comment

Own 200 in east tx. I also count my blessings. Been in the family since 1970

Never had a deer lease but been a guest on many. As an owner I'm glad I have zero rules to worry about and I control who comes to hunt. It is work but its work I see as an investment. Im not clearing shooting lanes and mowing dirt I'm paying to use half the year.

No comparison is owning vs. Lease to me

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

I would own if i could purchase enough land to enjoy it. Right now leasing gets me a lot more land access and much better deer than buying a small tract. Not saying I wont buy something the next couple years really more for a getaway place but I will probably always be on a bigger lease somewhere for true deer hunting/management.

Comment

Purchased 160ac in Oklahoma last year. Best thing I've done! It is a lot of work as others have mentioned, but the satisfaction of working on your own place I cant even put into words. No more hassle of running a lease, no one to answer to other than the boss (wife).
                    We hunt in the mornings, and evenings, and repair fences, barns, road work in between.

Comment

I own my own land, but you can lease a heck of a lot cheaper.

Comment

Own 40ac but still lease. To me it's about hanging out with all my buddies and having a lot of property. My lease fee is a drop in the bucket compared to the cost of actually owning land and I don't find much enjoyment in hunting by myself on the same ground all the time.

Comment

We have 320 ac in Coleman. For the 1st 15 years my dad lived in Lubbock, I still do. There is a lot of work to be done, but it was manageable. Our goal was to work hard all spring & summer, what wasn’t finished by sept just had to wait. No sense having a place if you can’t enjoy it.

I think my dad comes up with stuff to do now just to keep himself busy. He has projects ongoing now that he lives 30 mins from there, much of which isn’t “required”

Comment

I bought 100 acres in Rocksprings last spring and it has been an lot of work. That said I'm lucky in that we allowed my FIL too build a small cabin on the place to live full time. In return a lot of work gets done around there without me there.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

I grew up hunting on 8400 family owned acres, now own my own land and cant imagine the drama of leasing. I run my own cows and can pin them out when I want. Never have to worry about whos sitting in my stand, etc...
                              Its like owning vs renting a home to me. Owner makes the rules...

Comment

Working...
                              X