DIY Home Window replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY Home Window replacement

Has anyone changed their old aluminum windows to vinyl in a brick home? I have been thinking about giving it a try. The labor for someone to do it seems very expensive

It's simple just have to cut the nail flange off the old window (so as not damage any brick). The tricky part is the flashing of the new Windows. Backer rod/flashing and caulk are your friends.

Comment

Very simple. Watch a few YouTube vids and you will save a lot of money!

Comment

Originally posted by Ynotdrum View Post
        It's simple just have to cut the nail flange off the old window (so as not damage any brick). The tricky part is the flashing of the new Windows. Backer rod/flashing and caulk are your friends.
        Originally posted by Antlers86 View Post
        Very simple. Watch a few YouTube vids and you will save a lot of money!
        I knew the tedious part would be getting the old windows out and removing nails from the flanges. I am not familiar with cutting the nail flange off, I thought you had to pry the nails out and remove flanges, but I was concerned about brick damage. And was not sure how to flash and caulk new ones.

I have not been able to find a good youtube video, I need to look a little harder.

I know if I could find a good video I can do it. thanks for the comments

Comment

Try seeing if anyone here can install windows. May be cheaper than the contractor and easier on yourself.

Comment

Wish you were closer, I’d come help you. You should be able to take a sawzall and cut the nail fin off pretty easy.

Comment

I am in Longview. If you need a tool, or run into something you can't figure out, shoot me a PM, and we'll get you fixed up.
              I also know a guy, who is a pro, and works for one of the big window guys here in Longview. He loves sidework, and he's half as cheap as a contractor if you decide to go that route. He's done a few dozen for me, and it's always good work.

Comment

Just dont forget...the window is only good as the install. If you do it, make sure you flash it well and seal it well.

Comment

Just like the previous comment. Don't skip the sealing part.
                  1. There is a spray foam for windows (NOT GREAT STUFF), spray this in the wall cavity after window removal and just prior to installing the new window.
                  2. New windows can have tabs on all sides to help hold it in place. Seems like most of the new windows and the window holes are slightly different sizes. So, you may need to cut a few of the fins off. I ended up cutting off 3 fins per window. I left the top on, and drove a screw at the bottom exterior(hidden best I could, but still touching the window frame) to act as a fin. You could also put one on the opposite side.
                  3. After installation, it's caulk time. Caulk the outside and inside. If you can't professionally caulk like me, then use blue tape to help. Use the take to make like a railroad track around the caulk line, apply the caulk pretty thick. Next without waiting, it's time to remove the excess caulk. To smooth the caulk, get a bottle of dish washing soap, and put a few drops on your finger and smooth out the caulk line. Wipe the excess caulk in a paper bag, then pull off the blue tape. You are now a pro.
                  4. Start this process on a window that no one can see from the outside. You will get better as you progress. Caulk the inside last. You need to have mastered the caulk first.

Comment

Helped neighbor few years ago...Our go to tool as (not sellin brand just tool ) with metal cutting blade...PORTER CABLE PCC710B 20-volt MAX Lithium Bare Oscillating Tool, 11-Piece

Comment

Working...
                    X