Trying out some new bows tomorrow!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying out some new bows tomorrow!

The new shop, Archery Shack, here in town finally got all their permits and are open and I am going out at 10 in the morning to shoot some Obsessions, Elites and New Breed Bows and might shoot some Hoyts also. I went out this afternoon and just looked and the guy I talked to said he would have some bows set up with my draw length, draw weight and D loop for me to try. We will see. Looking forward to shooting these bows and see what they can do, how they feel in my hand, draw and shoot. Time will tell and I will post my findings.
    I plan on shooting them through a chrono with some arrows that Muddy made me and see how they compare to my old 2009 bow. I will write down all the speeds and necessary info to make a good read and comparison between these 4 brands of bows and my old stand by!

I went with a K34 from Obsession. Love it so far

Comment

Good luck they will all do the job just get the one that feels the best in ur hand hopefully that will be the elite bow.

Comment

I do not plan on buying anything tomorrow unless one just blows me away with the feel, draw and the way it shoots. A tall order.

Comment

OK, I shot 3 new bows this morning and here is my thoughts on each and the speeds.

I shot an Obsession M7, an Elite Impulse 31, a New Breed Blade SS and 2012 and 2013 Carbon Element. All were set to 29" draw and 70#'s except for the Elite as it was only set at 65#'s.

Fit and feel: To me each one of these bows felt great in my hand and at full draw. The grip was very comfortable.

Mass weight: All about the same.

Back Wall: Solid on everyone of them with a good valley. You could creep a little on each one of them without it jerking your shoulder out of socket.

Draw: Here is where I was shocked and disappointed.

Obsession M7: very, very stiff draw from start to finish. The holding weight was great, but honestly it was a very hard struggle for me to get to full draw. Draw was smooth, no humps or severe drop off, but way to stiff for me. Very disappointing as I had heard great things about these bows.

Elite Impulse: Almost as stiff as the Obsession and it was only 65#'s draw weight. Smooth draw again, but to stiff at 65#'s.

Hoyts: Older models, but not as stiff as the Elite or Obsession. Very smooth, but very expensive.

New Breed Blade SS: Smoothest draw of any of the above and to me very comfortable. Did not have any trouble getting to full draw.

Hand shock and noise: All were great and very quiet, but I was shooting a heavy arrow. Obsession and Elite have virtually no hand shock, the Hoyts and New Breed had some, but not very noticeable.

Speeds:
          Obsession M7 551 grain arrow: 255 fps
          576 grain arrow: 260 fps

Elite Impulse 31 551 grain: 251, but at 65#'s
          576 grain: 246, but at 65#'s

Hoyts 551 grain: 251 and 246 fps

New Breed Blade SS 551 grain: 251 fps
          576 grain: 247 fps

HCA Speed Pro 2009 model: 551 grain 248 fps
          576 grain 243 fps

My honest observations: I loved the feel of each of the new bows, they way they held, solid back walls with the ability for a little creep without loosing a shoulder and they way each one shot with little to no hand shock and very quiet.
          If I had made a choice based on how everything was this morning, I would have chosen the New Breed Blade SS based on the closeness of the speeds, hand shock and noise, but to me, way smoother on the draw. I guess I could drop down to 60#'s on the Obsessions and Elites, but with the New Breed drawing way easier at the same draw weight and a Cape Buffalo hunt coming up in 2017, and arrows already made for 70#'s, I really do not want to drop to 60#s.

My choices in order: New Breed Blade SS, Obsession, Elite, Hoyts (to expensive for me)

With all this being said, not sure I want to spend a $1000 on a new bow that does not shoot any better and is a little faster than my old stand by. Yes the Obsession is 12 fps faster, but that is still not a lot. Lots of thinking to do and still a few bows I want to try out before I really decide. I still want to shoot a couple of the new HCA's, Bowtech's and maybe a Prime and Strother, but that will mean a trip to the FT. Worth area.

Comment

No comments?

Comment

Shoot the E32 or 35...

Comment

I switched to Elite after being with BowTech since 2001. Impulse 31, 60#, 26.5 DL. I really was optimistic but put my time in and pulled the trigger. Good luck on your decision.

Comment

Do not want a 60# bow, need 70# at this time!

Comment

I'll comment what I can. I too shot an old faithful (DXT 2006). Never really tried anything new that made me say WOW!! Shot the new Bowtech and while fast, felt very rigid and stiff to me. Until I shot the Elite synergy. The back wall and creep were something that I needed from old shoulder Injurys continuing to get worse. After waiting for the right camo coloring I wanted and getting a real "tune" to both the DXT and Elite, I am happy with my decision and should shoot them for years. Bottom line is its keeping me in the game and
                    has allowed me to set the DXT up for instinctive shooting, a new adventure.

I do want to shoot the Obsession. It was nice to see the speed change with different grains. I'm now waiting to see the fun in the new airbow that came today. Assembly in progress.

Comment

Where is shop at Doug?

Comment

Good stuff sir! You will know when it is right.

Comment

Did you consider shooting the Elite E35 ?

Incredible balance and very smooth draw cycle

Comment

Not interested in the Def-con 6? DL specific but 15 fps faster ibo than the M7. You might now be interested in a 6" bh, just throwing that out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Dc78 View Post
                              Where is shop at Doug?
                              Right at the intersection of Brownfield Hwy and Upland Ave. When you are coming into town from DC, turn left at Upland Ave. to the north and then take the first right on 66th I believe and then take the first left on Santa Fe Drive. Their building is right to the East of Acme Brick and the first building to the right when you get on Santa Fe Drive.

Comment

Working...
                              X