Help me pick a new deer rifle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tigerscowboy View Post
    Consider a 308. In whatever brand/model fits you and your budget.
    Here is a sweet one on TBH for sale right now...

Comment

I dont think many bullets properly expand at 30 yards, they just plow right through the deer.

Comment

.308 will kill anything on the North American continent and do it with relative ease. Plain ol cheap Remington core lokts will get the job done on whitetail and be accurate as well. Core lokts do mess up a lot of meat if'n you don't hit em just right but they do kill stuff. For recoil sensitive peeps a .308 is not too bad and you can get factory managed recoil ammo. 7mm08 is right nice also.

Comment

I am in the bullet camp. Some of the high performance bullets wont expand at the high velocities of close range. Deer don't need any super bullets. Any factory cup and core like remington core lokt, Winchester silvertip, federal fusion, Hornady interlock will kill deer well in any caliber. If you want another rifle, look at what your .270 doesn't have, and find a rifle that fills that bill in any caliber from .243 to 30-06. Then you can select whichever one you feel comfortable with on any hunt.

Comment

Working...
          X