Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spring Food Plot....Getting it ready to plant.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I skipped the spring lots this year and Im glad I did. Ive planted them since 2006 in Mills and Brown county. Ive only had about 3 successful years where there was enough rain for them to do any good. Lots of money and wasted time. If I could've planted in the 90s I would've been much more successful. It just doesn't seem to rain as often as it did then.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
      Elgato, send me some of your rain. I planted Sunn Hemp and it got 6 inches tall and the deer eat it down, there is none left. I will try again next spring with the Sunn Hemp.
      Been very dry here as well. This is an 11 acre field drilled into thick thatch. I’m amazed at how vigorous the hemp is.

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
        Been very dry here as well. This is an 11 acre field drilled into thick thatch. I’m amazed at how vigorous the hemp is.
        When the Sunn Hemp gets that tall do the deer still eat it? Or does it get real woody?

Comment

Elgato, send me some of your rain. I planted Sunn Hemp and it got 6 inches tall and the deer eat it down, there is none left. I will try again next spring with the Sunn Hemp.
          I suspected that Rusty was hoarding rain, and from the looks of his plots, I'm now sure of it !

I have some sunn hemp growing, and I noticed the tops of some nipped off this morning, but, as I said before, if we don't get that rain this weekend, I'm sunk.

Comment

When the Sunn Hemp gets that tall do the deer still eat it? Or does it get real woody?
            Once it gets so tall they can't nip the growing bud they will start stripping the leaves. You will see 10' plants with all the leaves eaten off from about 4-5' down. Ive become a big fan of sunn hemp. Outcompetes weeds. Drought hardy. Can take a lot of grazing pressure. fixes nitrogen with lots of biomass. High in protein. Makes a good trellis for cowpeas. If there is a negative the stalk does get very fibrous breaking down slowly.

This year my straight soybean fields have done poorly. When I planted it was cool and wet. They popped up and stalled with heavy grazing pressure. Then it turned to drought overnight. Weeds flourished and the beans never got going.They are mostly a bust.

However the combo fields are terrific. I had 8 1/2 lbs/acre of hemp in one field...the one pictured along with the other stuff. The other field, a heavy clay filed I went with 11 lbs/acre hemp along with the other cultivars. Both are awesome with heavy deer utilization

Comment

I sent off soil samples for the fall planting. Elbon Rye, Daikon radish and purple top turnips. I cant see any advantage to planting oats or wheat with Elbon rye. Seems the rye kills off the oats and wheat.

Comment

Arrest Max worked some, but a lot of ragweed looks to have not been touched. The deer are hammering the Beans/Peas pretty good too. Need some rain!
                Attached Files

Comment

Arrest is just clethodim repackaged. It won't kill weeds, just grasses.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                    Arrest is just clethodim repackaged. It won't kill weeds, just grasses.
                    I see that now! Ragweed is tough. Anything else dampen the ragweed without killing the beans?

Comment

Originally posted by mdnabors View Post
                      I see that now! Ragweed is tough. Anything else dampen the ragweed without killing the beans?
                      There may be, but I'm not familiar with it. I usually kill everything before I plant with roundup and then plant enough seed that the crop shades the weeds out. This year though I haven't had enough rain to grow crops, weeds, or grass.

When I plant beans, I go Roundup Ready, so you can just hit them with gly when the weeds get up good and you got nothing but beans left. Little more expensive but a time saver.

You might give the folks at Keystone Pest Solutions a call. They will know what you can use if anything. Deer will eat that young ragweed, but once it gets tough they'll quit it.

Oh, and you can buy clethodim much cheaper than Arrest.

Comment

Spring Food Plot....Getting it ready to plant.

My spring 1/2 acre plot of cow peas got infested with weeds but the deer are still hammering what’s left of it hard.
                        This is it about a month ago before we the weeds took over.

I planted 3 more plots of peas last week and the two smaller plots were in moist soil in the woods and sprouted with in 5 days!
                        This larger plot was in dry sandy soil and hadn’t done anything yet but we got 1.5” rain yesterday. It’s should kick off good now and provide a hot spot come opening day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                        Last edited by Hix; 06-21-2018, 08:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                          There may be, but I'm not familiar with it. I usually kill everything before I plant with roundup and then plant enough seed that the crop shades the weeds out. This year though I haven't had enough rain to grow crops, weeds, or grass.

When I plant beans, I go Roundup Ready, so you can just hit them with gly when the weeds get up good and you got nothing but beans left. Little more expensive but a time saver.

You might give the folks at Keystone Pest Solutions a call. They will know what you can use if anything. Deer will eat that young ragweed, but once it gets tough they'll quit it.

Oh, and you can buy clethodim much cheaper than Arrest.

Thanks for info. I'm definitely interested in the RR Beans. Had some Amazon Gift $ so the Arrest was Free

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

^^^That’s some groceries there!! Looks awesome

Comment

Working...
                              X