Minn Kota spot lock issues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
    Mine is a 2014 model and just says Ipilot. It's a saltwater riptide but has spot lock.

I only have one graph (gen 2 hds) on the console. Normally I'll idle to my GPS mark and drop a buoy. Depending on wind I'll use the spot lock once we pick up a couple fish. Some of my piles are big and I'll drop anchor 30 yards or so up wind and drift back to the buoy.

I have been seriously thinking about adding a second fish finder with si/di and using the lowrance just for maps.

I thoroughly enjoy being able to operate troller from anywhere on the boat.

2014 is gen 1. They all say I pilot. I pilot link is where you can link it to the graph and tell it where to go from the graph or set a contour line for the trolling motor to follow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Slew View Post
      2014 is gen 1. They all say I pilot. I pilot link is where you can link it to the graph and tell it where to go from the graph or set a contour line for the trolling motor to follow.

Ya. I believe gen 1 only talked to hbird units and I've been a lowrance guy so I didn't get link.

Comment

Originally posted by Aggiebow88 View Post
        Kevin,
        what year was the Terrova? was it the first or second Gen?
        is the difference the changes MK has made or Terrova vs Ultrex?
        I think my Terrova was a 2015. I am not sure that you will ever get the real answer to the question, but from my reading, the difference is the new Ultrex has a better spot lock feature.

That said, do not let that alone guide you. I ran my Terrova with the remote control. I had a foot pedal, but kept it in a compartment in the back. This is difficult to do around trees, or near the rocks. The Ultrex is a cable steer unit with robotics. Best of both worlds. And, better spot lock.

I will also use the follow the contour on humps. Go in a circle in 12 feet (or whatever contour you select) and you just fish.

Comment

Have a new Ultera on our saltwater boat and I'll never be without one again.

Comment

Originally posted by Tx_Wader View Post
            Have a new Ultera on our saltwater boat and I'll never be without one again.
            Trying to decide between the Ultera and the terrova for my shoalwater. Have you had any problems with the auto deploy or with the motor in general? Been doing some reading on them and seeing some problems with the auto stow and deploy.

Comment

Originally posted by bloodtrailer28 View Post
              Trying to decide between the Ultera and the terrova for my shoalwater. Have you had any problems with the auto deploy or with the motor in general? Been doing some reading on them and seeing some problems with the auto stow and deploy.

The belt that deploys it and retracts it doesn't take a lot of abuse. My buddy had his in the shop 3-4x or more in a couple years. He finally had them send him a new one and he sold it and went to an Ultrex! That said the cable in the Ultrex will break too eventually.

Comment

I have a 2018 Ultrex

Comment

Ours doesn't always work with accuracy. We used it for atleast 12 hours this weekend on lake Sam Rayburn. We have a wireless remote and have to correct our position sometimes. Seems like when the skies are super clear is when we have the most problems.

Comment

Ours is Gen 1

Comment

Thanks all for the advice!!!

Comment

Originally posted by txtradesman View Post
                        Ours doesn't always work with accuracy. We used it for atleast 12 hours this weekend on lake Sam Rayburn. We have a wireless remote and have to correct our position sometimes. Seems like when the skies are super clear is when we have the most problems.

If your GPS puck is mounted on the front of the boat, the spot lock will not work as well. I moved mine to behind the drivers seat and it seems to work much better

Comment

Originally posted by txtradesman View Post
                          Ours is Gen 1

Not much you can do to fix the drift in that one besides change it out for a newer model.

Comment

Originally posted by Buff View Post
                            If your GPS puck is mounted on the front of the boat, the spot lock will not work as well. I moved mine to behind the drivers seat and it seems to work much better
                            Marty, (or whoever)
                            What about mounting on the trolling motor?
                            transducer XTM 9 DI25T (710234)

Wanting to make the most of your Humminbird XTM 9 DI 25T Transducer? Learn more about its features and how to get the most out of it with this informative blog post. Gain valuable insight to help you make the most of your transducer??™s capabilities and enhance your experience on the water.

Comment

Originally posted by Aggiebow88 View Post
                              Marty, (or whoever)

What about mounting on the trolling motor?

transducer XTM 9 DI25T (710234)

https://fishfinders.factoryoutletsto...ogitemid=44551

That's just a down imaging transducer. It has nothing to do with GPS or spot lock. I think the first Minn Kota motors just had a GPS puck inside the head of the motor. To improve accuracy they went with an external puck as well to triangulate better off GPS satellites. Typically the further you can get that puck away from the trolling motor the better your accuracy will be holding position.

Comment

Working...
                              X