Wildlife Exemption rules?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wildlife Exemption rules?

Blessed to have just purchased 25 raw acres.....90% wooded. We are going to add a doublewide, septic, and shop soon to make it our weekend ranch.

Question is, it currently has an AG exemption but previous owners did not really do anything to maintain. I would like to convert to a wildlife exemption, but have read in some cases you might have to prove previous owners maintained the AG exemption or pay back tax penalties? Really?

Anyone been down this road?

Originally posted by Btturbo View Post
    Blessed to have just purchased 25 raw acres.....90% wooded. We are going to add a doublewide, septic, and shop soon to make it our weekend ranch.

Question is, it currently has an AG exemption but previous owners did not really do anything to maintain. I would like to convert to a wildlife exemption, but have read in some cases you might have to prove previous owners maintained the AG exemption or pay back tax penalties? Really?

Not sure about your question, but I know quite a bit about doublewides. Depending on new or used. Let me know what you're thinking of doing and I'll give you the ins and outs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

County appraisal district will have tax records. Various regions and counties have minimum and maximum amounts of acreage that are required to qualify for wildlife special valuation. You will have to manage the lands for wildlife...water, food, predator control, etc. and provide proof. Check TPWD website and your County Appraisal District website if they have one....the info is online.
      Last edited by Briar Friar; 08-21-2017, 09:52 PM. Reason: SpecialValuationSpake

Comment

One thing to consider about wildlife exemption is you can't get a sales tax exemption like you can for ag and timber.

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
          County appraisal district will have tax records. Various regions and counties have minimum and maximum amounts of acreage that are required to qualify for wildlife special valuation. You will have to manage the lands for wildlife...water, food, predator control, etc. and provide proof. Check TPWD website and your County Appraisal District website if they have one....the info is online.
          This. We just purchased some property as well. It is currently ag exempt for hay. It's probably the easiest of all the exemptions. From what I understood when transferring the exemption to my name is if i fail to maintain the exemption or use it for anything else other than what the property was registered under, I am liable for paying a prorated amount of taxes for every year the property was exempt. Even the years it was exempt under the previous owners.

Comment

I bought 25 acres in ag and considering the same thing - you do lose sales tax deduction with wildlife - big deal to me.

If you go wildlife I suggest finding an expert - there are folks out there who will help you get the initial exemption for a one time fee - once you get it then retaining it is easy. Other advantage is that the appraisal district leaves you alone as long as you do required paperwork each year. With ag they will keep hounding you

Comment

Ag exemption is much easier to keep up with than a wildlife exemption, but a wildlife exemption can be much cheaper on the wallet. I would go sit down and talk to you county appraiser face to face and see what you need to do to switch over to wildlife exemption.

Comment

Send Solocam_aggie a PM he is an expert on it and deals with wildlife exemptions and can answer all of your questions. He also fills out the paperwork and forms for folks so he knows his stuff.

Comment

Like said talk to county & if all is good with current exemption get with the TPWD biologist for that area. He or she can help you get a plan together. We just did our place to wildlife exemption. Being you have a smaller place, you will probably have to do a plan for birds etc. Some counties aren't going to accept a wildlife exemption on deer. Too small a property. We went with birds & then joined our local wildlife co-op & were able to use it for deer too. Check & see if you have a local wildlife co-op. Good Luck & CONGRATS on your little piece of heaven!

Comment

Keep the ag. Do the appropriate wildlife activities that will work towards your wildlife goals. Your gonna do those anyways and the next owner would rather have the ag intact.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Bubba's bulletman View Post
                      Keep the ag. Do the appropriate wildlife activities that will work towards your wildlife goals. Your gonna do those anyways and the next owner would rather have the ag intact.
                      In Smith county (where I live) you can easily convert back to ag from wildlife.

Everyone needs to check with their county/appraisal district to get accurate info, they all vary a little from what I have seen

As far as the sales tax, most people are not making a living on ag so majority should not be getting sales tax break IMO

If you are making a living/income (or trying hard to) then use every advantage you can.

OP I would bet your property is in some kind of timber valuation

Comment

As suggested, get with appraisal district and get the lowdown from the people who will be making the decision. Different districts have different takes on exemptions it seems. I have two properties I converted to wildlife. The requirements are things you would or should be doing anyway if you're hunting the place, not hard to meet. My buddy just did one also and was told if he didn't keep ag appraisal he would be responsible for the difference in taxes going back five years before he purchased the place.

Comment

Originally posted by Btturbo View Post

As many people have already stated, get with your County appraisal district and talk to them about your special tax valuation, whether you go with the ag. or decide to switch to wildlife. Since, you just bought the property, more than likely you need to apply for a new one anyway.

Every County is different, but most require properties being in ag. exemp. for 5 years prior to Wildlife.

Originally posted by demtx View Post
                          As suggested, get with appraisal district and get the lowdown from the people who will be making the decision. Different districts have different takes on exemptions it seems. I have two properties I converted to wildlife. The requirements are things you would or should be doing anyway if you're hunting the place, not hard to meet. My buddy just did one also and was told if he didn't keep ag appraisal he would be responsible for the difference in taxes going back five years before he purchased the place.
                          I've never heard of someone owing rollback taxes for switching from ag to wildlife? Is that in fact what they told him?

Usually, rollback taxes come into play when a property is taken from ag > commercial or something. i.e. Pasture > apartments

Comment

OP, I think you may need to section off an acre for the doublewide. Convert to timber, much cheaper and easier. Talk to the county appraiser. They wanted me to pay a guy 300 bucks to submit a plan. The guy spent 30 minutes at my property, but it got me a timber appraisal. Once it's under timber, the county doesn't check if you sold any timber. Sell a family member some firewood every other year and you're good. PM me if you wanna talk live.

IMO, timber is better than wildlife due to the tax exempt items you can purchase.

Comment

Why would someone want to ditch an ag exemption. The tax benefits. You're building a small farm so tax free will come handy at Lowes.

Comment

Working...
                              X