Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 12-07-2017, 07:40 AM   #1
MacDaddy67
Ten Point

Hunt In: Milano
Default The price of used trucks

I have been in the market for a used truck, and I am shocked at the prices people are asking for them.
The truck I drive now is an 04 Silverado 2500HD so I haven't been in the market for 15 years, but dang did I miss something?

I see 1/2 ton 4x4 trucks with 100,000+ miles for over $25,000 or more...

Diesels that are 7-10 years old with 150K plus for $28K still.....

I know the new trucks are ridiculously priced now, but I guess I hadn't realized the used truck price had matched the run up of new trucks....
MacDaddy67 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 07:42 AM   #2
Elite13
Six Point

Have you looked at the price of new ones?
Elite13 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 07:43 AM   #3
captainsling
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Dilley, Texas

That's what happens when a new truck is $70k-$90k.
captainsling is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 07:47 AM   #4
shunter14
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mexico and McMullen county

It’s outrageous. Buddy of mine, not saying he’s the sharpest tool in the shed and I told him he got hosed, but just bought a 15 dodge mega cab diesel from a dealership with a few add ons from the prior owner and 55k miles, for 49k. Insane. Got a quote from my local dealership after seeing what he paid just for grins on my trade in value of my 12 Laramie Cummins with 57k miles, they offered me 39k trade in, I bought it two years old in 14 with 30k miles for 41k lol. The used truck market is nuts these days.
shunter14 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 07:54 AM   #5
MacDaddy67
Ten Point

Hunt In: Milano

Quote:
Originally Posted by shunter14 View Post
It’s outrageous. Buddy of mine, not saying he’s the sharpest tool in the shed and I told him he got hosed, but just bought a 15 dodge mega cab diesel from a dealership with a few add ons from the prior owner and 55k miles, for 49k. Insane. Got a quote from my local dealership after seeing what he paid just for grins on my trade in value of my 12 Laramie Cummins with 57k miles, they offered me 39k trade in, I bought it two years old in 14 with 30k miles for 41k lol. The used truck market is nuts these days.
There is absolutely no way I could pay $49K for a 3 year old truck with 55K miles.
MacDaddy67 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 07:59 AM   #6
stinkbelly
Pope & Young

I know exactly what you are saying. I am looking for one for my son and the prices are crazy. I don't know if anyone is actually paying these stupid prices or the people are just asking stupid prices.

I sold my 04 Chevy 2500HD 4 door 4x4 with 245,000 miles on it last year or $5000 and I see people selling them for $15,000.

I laugh at some of the prices because 3 year old trucks are priced at new prices. Either the guy selling the truck is trying to rip someone off or he got ripped off when he bought it and is trying to get some back. I see it on this site every day.
stinkbelly is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 08:00 AM   #7
CrookedArrow
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tamplias Chiwawa, Mejico

There was a F250, King Ranch on here yesterday for 21 Gs. It had 215,000 on it. I thought it was an ok deal for a 2010. Looked brand new in the pics.
CrookedArrow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 08:04 AM   #8
Mohawkman
Six Point

Hunt In: Navarro County, And CO.

From what I hear the market has gone crazy because so many vehicles were lost in Harvey and people are trying to replace.
Mohawkman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 08:09 AM   #9
tx_basser
Spike

Hunt In: Any place Public

yes.. crazy... will just keep driving my 06 F150 CC and supporting my local mechanic.
tx_basser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 08:11 AM   #10
Wilsondrake
Nubbin' Buck

Did you try truck world website ?
Here for your help F-150 (Ford) 55k miles for $37,981
Wilsondrake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 08:13 AM   #11
bowhuntntxn
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohawkman View Post
From what I hear the market has gone crazy because so many vehicles were lost in Harvey and people are trying to replace.
The used market has been over priced for a few years now. Like from the time the gas prices were shooting through the roof, and diesel finally cost more than regular gas. I bought an 01 model singlecab f150 with 100k+ miles for 3k about 3.5 years ago. I was thinking I might want to replace it, but after checking around, I just think I will keep it until it quits moving forward.
bowhuntntxn is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 08:14 AM   #12
Buck Shot
Six Point

Hunt In: Freestone County

I've been in the market for a used 3/4 ton to use as a farm/ranch truck and I've been thinking the same thing - the prices are sky-high.
Buck Shot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 08:14 AM   #13
TX_Hoghunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Harper, TX

This is what happens when people do not know how to buy vehicles. They fall in love with the first one they find and they have to have it. That drives up the price. Be patient and you can get it done at a reasonable price but do not fear walking away from any deal. Be ruthless in what you offer them. I often see used trucks on here that are priced higher than I paid for new trucks with the same features....what is even funnier is all of the people posting telling them what a great price it is and how quick it will sell.....

-john
TX_Hoghunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 08:16 AM   #14
cva34
Six Point

Hunt In: Vienna ,Tx

My biggest issue is... how do you Absolutely Positively Verify it aint been in Water up to the steering wheeel....Is ther any Reputable company that Gurantees such...
cva34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 08:21 AM   #15
bowhuntntxn
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by cva34 View Post
My biggest issue is... how do you Absolutely Positively Verify it aint been in Water up to the steering wheeel....Is ther any Reputable company that Gurantees such...
That is simple. Just don't buy ANY vehicle that has been registered in any county south of Travis in the last 5 years.
bowhuntntxn is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 08:23 AM   #16
RR 314
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_Hoghunter View Post
This is what happens when people do not know how to buy vehicles. They fall in love with the first one they find and they have to have it. That drives up the price. Be patient and you can get it done at a reasonable price but do not fear walking away from any deal. Be ruthless in what you offer them. I often see used trucks on here that are priced higher than I paid for new trucks with the same features....what is even funnier is all of the people posting telling them what a great price it is and how quick it will sell.....

-john
Haaaaaa. I note the same all of the time. However, those commenting usually say it should “sale” fast.
RR 314 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 08:25 AM   #17
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

I sold one last spring for $800 bucks! 1 owner, 4wd, cold AC...needed work...

It must be the pavement pounder, diesel driving accountant types, driving this....you can't give away a work truck.

Last edited by Dale Moser; 12-07-2017 at 08:27 AM..
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 08:54 AM   #18
Smithwr
Ten Point

Hunt In: Vernon TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrookedArrow View Post
There was a F250, King Ranch on here yesterday for 21 Gs. It had 215,000 on it. I thought it was an ok deal for a 2010. Looked brand new in the pics.
Not with that 6.4, one year newer and it would be alot more expensive
Smithwr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 08:55 AM   #19
twosixteens
Ten Point

Hunt In: Young County Mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhuntntxn View Post
That is simple. Just don't buy ANY vehicle that has been registered in any county south of Travis in the last 5 years.
Might weed out most but definitely not all of them.
twosixteens is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 08:56 AM   #20
cva34
Six Point

Hunt In: Vienna ,Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhuntntxn View Post
Thanks thats a start...
cva34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 09:14 AM   #21
TheHammer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tom Green Co, Panola Co, TX

Better than the price of new ones!
TheHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 09:25 AM   #22
miket
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Grimes County, Victoria

Thats the main reason Im driving a 15 year old truck. And honestly, if I bought another at this point it would be 12-15yrs old too. I dont know where people are getting all this money to spend $50-90k for a truck unless they are using it for business.
miket is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 09:28 AM   #23
TX_Hoghunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Harper, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR 314 View Post
Haaaaaa. I note the same all of the time. However, those commenting usually say it should “sale” fast.
LOL...Proof reading my responses has never been a strong suit of mine.......

-john
TX_Hoghunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 09:35 AM   #24
Hooverfb
Six Point

The prices were like this before Harvey as well. Truck prices ( especially diesels) have just gkne nuts from demand. Always say, its worth whatever someone will pay for it.
Hooverfb is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 09:36 AM   #25
bowtechbandit
Eight Point

Hunt In: Texas and Kansas

yeah bows my mind. I was in the market 3 years ago. I ended up buying a 2002 GMC 2500 Duramax with 130k on it. for 14k. I felt like that was the best bang for my buck at the time.
bowtechbandit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 09:37 AM   #26
SwampyMarsh
Six Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I can draw and Nebraska

Go out of Texas to purchase
SwampyMarsh is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 09:41 AM   #27
bentman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gods Country

Used vehicles are at a premium right now, 2 reasons the price of new ones and hurricane Harvey
bentman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 09:47 AM   #28
thegrouse
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wilson and San Saba County

Someone is getting rich. I contacted a few dealers about my 2001 F150 with 120k and they offered about 3k.
thegrouse is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 09:48 AM   #29
CaptainDave
Ten Point

Prices are crazy for used ones, but as stated, look no further than what the new ones are going for.

Just my opinion, but new vehicle prices have risen steadily due to the ease of obtaining fairly low interest financing. The average Joe doesn't seem to mind having a car payment every month. Just think of how many people out there buy a new one today and trade it in a few years later; never owning said vehicle and really just swapping out one monthly payment for another.
CaptainDave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 09:55 AM   #30
adam_p
Ten Point

Hunt In: Grayson, Cooke

I went and looked at an extended cab, cloth interior z71 that was claimed to look great and no accidents. Neither of those claims were true. It was beat up and and looked like it had 200,000 more miles than the ODO showed. Clearly rode hard and put up wet. I listed all the stuff I found wrong and they still wouldn't budge on price. Not one dollar.

I drove to Tulsa last week and bought a dang near cherry fully loaded GMC crew cab with the 6.2L engine for $1,000 more than the POS I looked at down here. They came $4k off list price.

I priced new ones too. You have to catch them at the right time to get a good deal on a new one and it seems around June is that time on a Chevrolet. You need that "red tag" sale. I priced a new extended cab chevrolet last week and it was $43k with "employee pricing", my brother bought his loaded LTZ crew cab 4x4 chevrolet in June or July for $41k during the red tag sale.

Last edited by adam_p; 12-07-2017 at 09:59 AM..
adam_p is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 10:13 AM   #31
Abcdj
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wilbarger county U.S.A.

My buddy just bought a new 17 3/4 ton 4x4 with all the bells and whistles. He said that I don't need to drive it because I would get me one. I told him its a 17 model right. I will own one for sure. Probably be in 2030 if I'm still alive.
Abcdj is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 10:15 AM   #32
60 Deluxe
Ten Point

Hunt In: at home

It is not a good year to buy a vehicle. Normally you can find new trucks on year end closeouts for about the same price as the used ones are selling for. I haven't bothered to even look this year. I figure that the huge demand out of the Houston area has every thing messed up until late next year.
60 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 10:15 AM   #33
Fmjag64
Eight Point

Hunt In: Grayson Co. Montague Co.

Yea the used Ford trucks are insane! The new ones too! Lol those prices should be regulated!!
Fmjag64 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 10:17 AM   #34
wsteffen
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jewitt, TX or any where else I can find to go

Truck prices have gotten crazy. My daughter just bought an F150 SC FX4 and paid $53k for it. I could probably sell my 2008 F150 SC for what I paid for it. Think I'll just keep though.
wsteffen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 10:17 AM   #35
DDOYLE
Eight Point

Hunt In: San Saba County

I have been thinking about getting rid of my 13' F350, but when I start shopping for a new one it makes me think I should keep it till the wheels fall off. Pretty crazy.
DDOYLE is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 10:26 AM   #36
adam_p
Ten Point

Hunt In: Grayson, Cooke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fmjag64 View Post
Yea the used Ford trucks are insane! The new ones too! Lol those prices should be regulated!!
Absolutely not.
adam_p is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 10:26 AM   #37
Jerry H
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hall County

This is why I am driving an 03 with 259,920 miles on it.
I had planned on upgrading at 300K but I am just going to keep it going for as long as I can.
Jerry H is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 10:35 AM   #38
KevinAndy
Four Point

Hunt In: Jim Wells Co., TX

I hit 300,000 miles on my 07 Silverado Tuesday. Not sure how much longer I have until I need to bite the bullet on a new one. Not looking forward to paying these prices.
KevinAndy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 10:40 AM   #39
scott.str
Ten Point

Hunt In: Stephens county

I looked at a Ford a while ago and wanted a fleet truck since I don't want all the bells. 4x4 power locks and windows and the nicer v8. I had to argue with them to test drive a fleet truck and the price was still not that much under a normal truck. What happened to the base model trucks without all the electronics that break?
scott.str is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 10:50 AM   #40
Acameron52
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coleman

It’s ridiculous. You can thank $70K new trucks for the jacked up used prices.
Acameron52 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 10:52 AM   #41
toledo
Six Point

Hunt In: the road by your lease

It's nuts. Recently wrecked my chevy '09, 2wd, 1/2 ton, work truck with 157k miles on it. Couldn't believe the insurance company gave me $12k for it. Decided I wanted to get something used, that would last, for a decent price. That's not an option anymore. A 3/4 ton, 4wd, work truck with 100k miles on it is still selling for $28-$30k. No way Im paying that kind of money and have a note for a truck that's almost 1/2 way used up.

Best deal I could come up with was ordering an '18, 4wd, 3/4 ton, crew cab, gas chevy work truck. With about $2k in add-ons it came to a touch over $40k. The 1/2 tons are almost the same price for not near the truck. One thing I found while shopping, the work truck models aren't nearly as basic as they used to be. You can save a lot of money if you don't need the $10k chrome trim. But, if you don't want it to look like an oilfield company truck, you have to order it and tweak it a little.

Financed through aggieland credit union at 1.9% for 75 months. Sounds crazy but in 6 years, the truck will be paid off and still worth $30k.
toledo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 12:33 PM   #42
ram04
Six Point

Hunt In: The woods, Val verde/Edwards line

Look no further than insanely low interest rates for these increases in my opinion. Someone can finance the truck for 7 years and have a real low interest rate to get their payment where they want it, making it slightly affordable for them but screwing the rest of us. Boats are the exact same way as well!!! At least that's what I'm leaning toward.
ram04 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 01:28 PM   #43
Abctx
Four Point

There are plenty of guys here making $50k a year, driving a $60k truck towing a $20k Polaris Ranger or a $40k bass boat. Cheap/easy credit, and yahoo's who use it, are driving up prices, just like the $50k a year yahoo's who were buying $400k homes (that should have been $250k homes) 10 years ago on cheap credit before the housing meltdown.
Abctx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 01:36 PM   #44
alwaysinshorts
Ten Point

No offense to anyone that has expensive trucks but it is your fault. When people are paying 75k for a new truck the used truck market is going to also increase. New high end trucks use to be 55 to 65k and just 5 years it is increased over 10% and people continue to buy.

The same thing happens with Side by Sides and boats. Too many people will to finance their hobbies and that is increasing the market price. I can't believe people paying 23k for a side by side that is nothing more than a large go cart. No A/C, no exterior high end paint job, now electric windows actually not windows at all. You can buy a car for that price.

Again i'm just saying that it is all of our faults that we continue to buy these items.
alwaysinshorts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 01:37 PM   #45
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX
Default The price of used trucks

There are decently priced trucks out there, you have to be patient.

I bought a 2012 Ram 2500 CCSB fully loaded Laramie with B&W turnover (never used, lol) with 52k miles in about as immaculate condition as it gets for $39k in Feb 2016.

The exact same truck new was $56k even with the discount I get on Chrysler vehicles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 01:47 PM   #46
Pullersboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Erath & Hamilton Counties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fmjag64 View Post
Yeah, that's it. The government can solve this through more overreach and regulation.....SMH

NOPE!
Pullersboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 01:55 PM   #47
stinkbelly
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
There are decently priced trucks out there, you have to be patient.

I bought a 2012 Ram 2500 CCSB fully loaded Laramie with B&W turnover (never used, lol) with 52k miles in about as immaculate condition as it gets for $39k in Feb 2016.

The exact same truck new was $56k even with the discount I get on Chrysler vehicles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

No disrespect and don't take it wrong, but this is the problem. People think they are getting good deals.

I am probably guilty too. I bought a 2015 chevy 2500HD 4x4 diesel 4dr with 30K miles on it in April 2016 for $39K.
stinkbelly is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 01:58 PM   #48
scott.str
Ten Point

Hunt In: Stephens county

Another problem is we may be thinking in terms of cars lasted 100k 20 years ago. Now they go 200-300k or at least should. As well as even the base comes standard with back up cameras and touch screens. What better way to get more money then make it standard for "safety" and us stop asking for the cheaper roll up window trucks. Just phase out the cheaper work trucks and give you the expensive one or no other choice. It's mainly trucks to since we can still get a little Honda for 15k new. Just know the truck guys will pay it heck or high water.
scott.str is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 02:14 PM   #49
Darton
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abctx View Post
There are plenty of guys here making $50k a year, driving a $60k truck towing a $20k Polaris Ranger or a $40k bass boat. Cheap/easy credit, and yahoo's who use it, are driving up prices, just like the $50k a year yahoo's who were buying $400k homes (that should have been $250k homes) 10 years ago on cheap credit before the housing meltdown.
Bingo and it is only going to get worse since the oil field is picking back up! 18-25 year olds with a pocket full of cash and no sense
Darton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 02:17 PM   #50
kyle1974
Pope & Young

Hunt In: McMullen / Refugio

that's what happens when people will sign a 6 year note for a truck. the vast majority of people probably couldn't tell you what price they pay for a truck, but they can tell you what the monthly payment is.

the last new truck I bought, I could hear a couple next to me going back and forth over 20-30 dollars a month different in the payments... just a tip, if someone is worried about $30 a month difference, then you can't afford it.
kyle1974 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top