Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2017, 08:47 AM   #51
Skinny
Pope & Young
 
Skinny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Forestburg,Tx
Hunt In: Montague County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRT View Post
No skinny you are the one who started the insults. If anyone is the troll it's you. I just stated don't use one and the people who think they know better than anyone else, including you, started quoting me.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk


You are out of line and place posting your crap on a thread like this. Many of us have lost friends or family in this type of accident and will always be a proponent of wearing a harness. When guys like you who act like superheroes come on threads like you have, it rubs us the wrong way and is not good for the future of hunting.

Smh


Skinny
Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 08:50 AM   #52
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young
 
lovemylegacy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mauriceville
Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRT View Post
Never wear one but willing to accept the consequences for not. However I never hunt from lock on stands anymore and I'm pretty careful about securing my ladder stands.
Dude, your playing with your life...tie off, please!
lovemylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 08:51 AM   #53
Ironman
Pope & Young
 
Ironman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern Wise County
Hunt In: Anywhere
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_Hoghunter View Post
LOL...oh how the self righteous fell only their opinions count......So for those of you that are trolling DRT.....How many of you smoke? dip snuff? Chew tobacco? Drink too much on occasion? Ever drive some and then drive? How many are over weight? All of those things ( especially being fat ) are more likely to kill you then falling out of a deer stand. Personally I think hypocritical people should stop throwing rocks and passing judgements but that is just me.

-john
Apples and oranges, and another ignorant *** statement.
Ironman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 08:53 AM   #54
bowhuntntxn
Pope & Young
 
bowhuntntxn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Default

I'm not going to flame any one who doesn't wear a harness, but silently I wish they would. Life is about choices, and I choose to wear mine every time my feet leave the ground.

I have had to deal with long term medical care for a family member that was in no way hunting related, and I wouldn't wish that nightmare on my worst enemy. And that is one thing that keeps me putting mine on every time.
bowhuntntxn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 08:55 AM   #55
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young
 
lovemylegacy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mauriceville
Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun shooter View Post
I canít imagine putting up one of these safety lines at every possible set. Do you think it would make since to try to hook your harness on the next highest step each time you begin to climb up it? This is some pretty scary stuff and just wearing a harness once youíre up in the stand is obviously not the answer.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Cajun, becareful with those safety lines. A fella I know used one and fell attached to the line, it broke and he suffered some serious injuries. They are death traps, becareful
lovemylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 08:57 AM   #56
DRT
Pope & Young
 
DRT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Fort Worth, Tx
Hunt In: Jones County and Missouri
Default

Sorry you believe that. I think a person should do what works for them when they hunt. But I guess after 40 years of not falling out of my stand I have a bit of self confidence.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk
DRT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 08:57 AM   #57
Txjourneyman
Pope & Young
 
Txjourneyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Cedar Creek Lake
Hunt In: Hardeman, Jones, and Dallas Counties
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRT View Post
So what you are saying is because my opinion differs from yours I don't count? Wearing a harness is a personal choice. Just because some people have an accident doesn't mean all people will. Some people use a gun to commit crime but not all gun owners will. Wear a harness and believe you are safe then. I know better. Plenty of hunters have died hanging in one unable to get back up on the stand. That false sense of security means you are less apt to watch your hand and foot placement and more likely to fall. I've climbed elevated storage towers many times without fall protection. When they started making us wear them they were in the way and you had to use a hand to maneuver them just like those rope sliders. I'd rather have my hand on the ladder.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk
When I teach bowhunter ed classes I always tell the class I wear a harness not because I'm afraid of dying but because I'm afraid of getting paralyzed and having to have my family change my diapers. I can't imagine putting my daughter through having to wipe my filthy bottom because I wouldn't or didn't protect myself when hunting off the ground.
Txjourneyman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 08:58 AM   #58
Ironman
Pope & Young
 
Ironman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern Wise County
Hunt In: Anywhere
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemylegacy View Post
Cajun, becareful with those safety lines. A fella I know used one and fell attached to the line, it broke and he suffered some serious injuries. They are death traps, becareful
If it broke, then it either wasn't designed for such use, or neglected to the point of failure. Either way, it was preventable. Not all falls are preventable, but proper fall arrest equipment will save your life.
Ironman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 08:58 AM   #59
Death from Above
Pope & Young
 
Death from Above's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Default

Help me out...are you guys promoting to NOT wear a harness?
Death from Above is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 08:59 AM   #60
Skinny
Pope & Young
 
Skinny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Forestburg,Tx
Hunt In: Montague County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_Hoghunter View Post
LOL...oh how the self righteous fell only their opinions count......So for those of you that are trolling DRT.....How many of you smoke? dip snuff? Chew tobacco? Drink too much on occasion? Ever drive some and then drive? How many are over weight? All of those things ( especially being fat ) are more likely to kill you then falling out of a deer stand. Personally I think hypocritical people should stop throwing rocks and passing judgements but that is just me.

-john


You missed the point completely...and I donít judge people for what they do...but coming on a thread like this and spewing some crap about not wearing a harness is total BS.


Skinny
Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 08:59 AM   #61
Traildust
Pope & Young
 
Traildust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Alvin, Texas
Hunt In: Green Screen
Default

Falling doesn't hurt. It's that sudden stop.

Darwinism
Traildust is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 09:00 AM   #62
Ironman
Pope & Young
 
Ironman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern Wise County
Hunt In: Anywhere
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRT View Post
Sorry you believe that. I think a person should do what works for them when they hunt. But I guess after 40 years of not falling out of my stand I have a bit of self confidence.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk
Yep! And complicity kills.
Ironman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 09:01 AM   #63
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young
 
lovemylegacy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mauriceville
Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBUCKSHOT View Post
With all due respect, is it laziness, stubbornness, selfishness or ignorance? Which is it? I'm honestly curious. I could understand at a young age where we all didn't know better but I cant wrap my head around the fact that a grown man would take a chance in leaving their family with that burden. I personally just like moving around up there care free and knowing im locked in.
Its arrogance...that would be it.
lovemylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 09:02 AM   #64
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young
 
lovemylegacy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mauriceville
Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny View Post
Second dumbest thing youíve posted. If you think for one second that falls are intentional or planned, you are crazy. Just like car accidents...they happen when you least expect it. Iím betting you wear your seatbelt while driving? Same thing here. If youíd like to stop acting like youíre invincible, that would be best for the rest of the folks considering wearing a harness. Not sure if you have kids or not, but I hope you donít.


Skinny
Yea, dude aint to smart
lovemylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 09:03 AM   #65
ultrastealth
Ten Point
 
ultrastealth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Katy
Hunt In: Camp Wood, TX
Default

I had a climber slip out from under me on the way down one afternoon. Luckily, I was wearing a belt. It quickly became clear that suffocation was going to happen if I didn't relieve the pressure on the belt. Through herculean effort (you'll do amazing things when your life is at stake) I was able to get that climber back under me. I waited for my brother-in-law before going the rest of the way down. As it turns out, I had the lower part upside down, and that's why it slipped. It was tough to find a full climbing vest back then, but I had one before I hunted from a tree again. I don't take any chances now. I'm attached all the way up and down. I also secure a safety rope prior to installing a stand. There's really no room for error, and I love my family too much to take short cuts.
ultrastealth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 09:13 AM   #66
TX_Hoghunter
Ten Point
 
TX_Hoghunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Caddo Mills, TX
Hunt In: Harper, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny View Post
You missed the point completely...and I donít judge people for what they do...but coming on a thread like this and spewing some crap about not wearing a harness is total BS.


Skinny

No I did not. All of the things I mentioned are more likely to kill you than falling out of a deer stand but more here do at least one of the other things. I always see comments like "well if you loved your family".....well I could argue that being fat is much more likely to kill you so if you loved your family you would exercise at least 3 times a week, you would eat right, that you would get plenty of sleep, and you you would not drink alcohol .........

here is the rub I don't care if you wear a harness, I don't care if you weigh 400 pounds, I don't care if you never exercise, I don't care if you live on little debby snack cakes, I don't care if you drink yourself to death. What I do care about is how judgemental and hypocritical people can be.

If someone wants to wear to wear a harness then great that is their decision. If someone does not want to wear one then great that is their decision. That is how this freedom thing works. It is the individuals right to live their life as they see fit. These are just my opinions and do not represent the management of this station.......

-john
TX_Hoghunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 09:15 AM   #67
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young
 
lovemylegacy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mauriceville
Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_Hoghunter View Post
LOL...oh how the self righteous fell only their opinions count......So for those of you that are trolling DRT.....How many of you smoke? dip snuff? Chew tobacco? Drink too much on occasion? Ever drive some and then drive? How many are over weight? All of those things ( especially being fat ) are more likely to kill you then falling out of a deer stand. Personally I think hypocritical people should stop throwing rocks and passing judgements but that is just me.

-john
Well, I don't drink, dip, smoke, chew tobacco, so will you listen to me? It isn't being self righteous. Its being safe! Members are trying to convince you and DRT that what you are doing or not doing has dire consequences. Wearing a harness aint for me either, but I do it.

I tell ya what, ask your wife, children, people who care about you what they think about you not wearing a harness when you are elevated. I think most of the men posting here care about you and DRT, thus the reason they are trying to convince you wear a harness.

Most times when someone uses the terms "self righteous", "hypocritical", know they are wrong

Please use a harness, for those that love you, at least for them.
lovemylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 09:15 AM   #68
Bayouboy
Pope & Young
 
Bayouboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Texas City
Hunt In: East Texas
Default

If it was a screw in type tree step I have never trusted those things. I will use them to hang gear on and that is it.
Bayouboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 09:17 AM   #69
Skinny
Pope & Young
 
Skinny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Forestburg,Tx
Hunt In: Montague County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_Hoghunter View Post
No I did not. All of the things I mentioned are more likely to kill you than falling out of a deer stand but more here do at least one of the other things. I always see comments like "well if you loved your family".....well I could argue that being fat is much more likely to kill you so if you loved your family you would exercise at least 3 times a week, you would eat right, that you would get plenty of sleep, and you you would not drink alcohol .........



here is the rub I don't care if you wear a harness, I don't care if you weigh 400 pounds, I don't care if you never exercise, I don't care if you live on little debby snack cakes, I don't care if you drink yourself to death. What I do care about is how judgemental and hypocritical people can be.



If someone wants to wear to wear a harness then great that is their decision. If someone does not want to wear one then great that is their decision. That is how this freedom thing works. It is the individuals right to live their life as they see fit. These are just my opinions and do not represent the management of this station.......



-john


You arenít telling us anything we donít already know or believe. But Iíll stick to my original thoughts as to stay off threads like this spewing crap about not wearing a harness when the post adds zero value....and likely just posted to stir the pot.


Skinny
Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 09:22 AM   #70
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young
 
lovemylegacy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mauriceville
Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
If it broke, then it either wasn't designed for such use, or neglected to the point of failure. Either way, it was preventable. Not all falls are preventable, but proper fall arrest equipment will save your life.
don't kill the messenger, just stating what happened
lovemylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 09:25 AM   #71
TX_Hoghunter
Ten Point
 
TX_Hoghunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Caddo Mills, TX
Hunt In: Harper, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny View Post
You arenít telling us anything we donít already know or believe. But Iíll stick to my original thoughts as to stay off threads like this spewing crap about not wearing a harness when the post adds zero value....and likely just posted to stir the pot.


Skinny
I thought the purpose of a forum was to discuss things. I did not realize that the purpose of forums was to only discuss things that were skinny approved...seems to me that a forum like that would get boring pretty quick.

-john
TX_Hoghunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 09:25 AM   #72
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default Treestand Accident

Sorry to hear about Drury's fall. That man has probably climbed more trees than most folks in this thread and it happened to him. Hell he does it for living. If I did trees or ladders anymore there is no way in hell I'd be without at harness.

Threads like these confirm why my big *** likes my big comfortable ground blinds. The furthest I have to fall is outta my chair onto the carpet floor when I fall asleep. Now that hasn't happened but I did bust a leg on the front of an old office chair leaning for my camera and I slid right out onto the floor. Deer were like WTH? My *** was bruised for a few days.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 09:25 AM   #73
SunsUpGunsUp
Eight Point
 
SunsUpGunsUp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRT View Post
So what you are saying is because my opinion differs from yours I don't count? Wearing a harness is a personal choice. Just because some people have an accident doesn't mean all people will. Some people use a gun to commit crime but not all gun owners will. Wear a harness and believe you are safe then. I know better. Plenty of hunters have died hanging in one unable to get back up on the stand. That false sense of security means you are less apt to watch your hand and foot placement and more likely to fall. I've climbed elevated storage towers many times without fall protection. When they started making us wear them they were in the way and you had to use a hand to maneuver them just like those rope sliders. I'd rather have my hand on the ladder.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk
There's lots of trolls on here but you are now the worst of the worst. I really hope no kids or even adults read what your saying and choose not to wear one because of it. Ignorance is one thing, arrogance is another. You can't control everything.
SunsUpGunsUp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 09:25 AM   #74
Ironman
Pope & Young
 
Ironman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern Wise County
Hunt In: Anywhere
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemylegacy View Post
don't kill the messenger, just stating what happened
Understood. But you did state "they" were dangerous. I disagree.
Ironman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 09:29 AM   #75
Skinny
Pope & Young
 
Skinny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Forestburg,Tx
Hunt In: Montague County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_Hoghunter View Post
I thought the purpose of a forum was to discuss things. I did not realize that the purpose of forums was to only discuss things that were skinny approved...seems to me that a forum like that would get boring pretty quick.



-john


Boy you ainít all there, are ya? Lmao

Point missed. Again. Adios.


Skinny
Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 09:29 AM   #76
Ironman
Pope & Young
 
Ironman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern Wise County
Hunt In: Anywhere
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_Hoghunter View Post
I thought the purpose of a forum was to discuss things. I did not realize that the purpose of forums was to only discuss things that were skinny approved...seems to me that a forum like that would get boring pretty quick.

-john
Put down the shovel.
Ironman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 09:29 AM   #77
Jeremy7306
Pope & Young
 
Jeremy7306's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Burleson,TX
Hunt In: Whitney, Anywhere I can find
Default Treestand Accident

Maybe I interject and ask a question???

How do yíall use a harness with a tripod? Iím not able to tie my harness in the tree closest to my tripod, a lifeline maybe? Any other ideas?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeremy7306 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 09:30 AM   #78
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young
 
lovemylegacy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mauriceville
Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo
Default

I would like to tell my story.

I was hunting in Ks. Climbing a tree using a climber and trimming limbs as I went up the tree. About 10 ft up, my stand broke, upper part, I fell backwards and my harness caught me and kept me in my stand. Yes I use my harness while Im climbing with a tree climber. No doubt that saved my life.
lovemylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 09:31 AM   #79
Ironman
Pope & Young
 
Ironman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern Wise County
Hunt In: Anywhere
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy7306 View Post
Maybe I interject and ask a question???

How do yíall use a harness with a tripod? Iím not able to tie my harness in the tree closest to my tripod, a lifeline maybe? Any other ideas?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A lifeline with a prusik knot will work on anything.
Ironman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 09:32 AM   #80
TX_Hoghunter
Ten Point
 
TX_Hoghunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Caddo Mills, TX
Hunt In: Harper, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
Put down the shovel.
If y'all quit digging then so will I......

Also I wanted to clarify......I am not mad at anyone. I do like to have discussions and have no issues with agreeing to disagree but also remember that it takes 2 to tango.

-john
TX_Hoghunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 09:33 AM   #81
RifleBowPistol
Six Point
 
RifleBowPistol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Comal Co.
Hunt In: South Tx, Hill Country, Panhandle
Default

I remember years ago, a friend of the family told me about a story, of a guy he knew, who fell out of a tree. I think the guy had a old back quiver or him quiver and possibly a arrow knocked on the bow. He fell out of a oak tree, if I remember correctly. We wound up falling and impaling himself with a broadheaded arrow. The guy did not suffer many injuries from the fall it's self, but he bled to death very quickly after the fall.

I know I have dozed off while hunting on either tripods or up in oak trees and dang near fell out of where ever I was. Will scare the crap out of you.
RifleBowPistol is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 09:33 AM   #82
DRT
Pope & Young
 
DRT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Fort Worth, Tx
Hunt In: Jones County and Missouri
Default

Nah just like all liberals they want to yell louder, insult and demean those they disagree with and force their way of doing things on others.

I'm not saying don't wear one. I'm just saying just because one chooses not to doesn't mean they are going to have a devastating fall.

And by the way my 9mm is in a retention holster on my hip.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk
DRT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 09:35 AM   #83
Jeremy7306
Pope & Young
 
Jeremy7306's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Burleson,TX
Hunt In: Whitney, Anywhere I can find
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
A lifeline with a prusik knot will work on anything.


I was thinking that. But... I didnít think about that until I was typing that question! The closest limb runs above me, but about 2-3 feet to the side/back of me. Too far for the tether from my harness to reach on its on. Itís a HSS harness. Guess I need to pick up a lifeline. Thanks!

Carry on guys!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeremy7306 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 09:36 AM   #84
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young
 
lovemylegacy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mauriceville
Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
Understood. But you did state "they" were dangerous. I disagree.
yessir I did. to be used as a fall prevention device yes I think they are, yes I will stand by my statement. don't know why the rope broke, most companies use the cheapest materials possible.

I know Jim personally and just wanted him to know, that's what friends do
lovemylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 09:37 AM   #85
Ironman
Pope & Young
 
Ironman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern Wise County
Hunt In: Anywhere
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_Hoghunter View Post
If y'all quit digging then so will I......

Also I wanted to clarify......I am not mad at anyone. I do like to have discussions and have no issues with agreeing to disagree but also remember that it takes 2 to tango.

-john
It's the perception that grown men think it's ok to not wear a harness in a tree stand, and the younger or impressionable people following your misguided stance that's rubbing most of us wrong. You are possibly gambling with other people's safety, not just your own.
Ironman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 09:43 AM   #86
Ironman
Pope & Young
 
Ironman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern Wise County
Hunt In: Anywhere
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemylegacy View Post
yessir I did. to be used as a fall prevention device yes I think they are, yes I will stand by my statement. don't know why the rope broke, most companies use the cheapest materials possible.

I know Jim personally and just wanted him to know, that's what friends do
Companies product liability alone prevent them from using the cheapest material possible. Like I said, the lifeline was not designed for such use (your friend fabricated it himself) or it was neglected ( sat out in the elements and became disintegrated). Either of which was preventable.
Ironman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 09:43 AM   #87
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young
 
lovemylegacy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mauriceville
Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRT View Post
Nah just like all liberals they want to yell louder, insult and demean those they disagree with and force their way of doing things on others.

I'm not saying don't wear one. I'm just saying just because one chooses not to doesn't mean they are going to have a devastating fall.

And by the way my 9mm is in a retention holster on my hip.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk
Hate to hear this, No one is trying to force you to do anything, but somethings are senseless, like not using a harness from an elevated position. I assure you that your arrogance will not break your fall. Really wish you would change your mind.
lovemylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 09:46 AM   #88
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young
 
lovemylegacy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mauriceville
Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
Companies product liability alone prevent them from using the cheapest material possible. Like I said, the lifeline was not designed for such use (your friend fabricated it himself) or it was neglected ( sat out in the elements and became disintegrated). Either of which was preventable.
Yeah could be. I was under the impression it was new. Don't know if there was litigation or not. Ironic, he saw them using it on a Drury show.
lovemylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 09:48 AM   #89
Ironman
Pope & Young
 
Ironman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern Wise County
Hunt In: Anywhere
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRT View Post
Nah just like all liberals they want to yell louder, insult and demean those they disagree with and force their way of doing things on others.

I'm not saying don't wear one. I'm just saying just because one chooses not to doesn't mean they are going to have a devastating fall.

And by the way my 9mm is in a retention holster on my hip.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk
Read post #85. This has nothing to do with political leanings.
Ironman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 09:49 AM   #90
Ironman
Pope & Young
 
Ironman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern Wise County
Hunt In: Anywhere
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemylegacy View Post
Yeah could be. I was under the impression it was new. Don't know if there was litigation or not. Ironic, he saw them using it on a Drury show.
If it was new, there should have been litigation.
Ironman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 09:50 AM   #91
TX_Hoghunter
Ten Point
 
TX_Hoghunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Caddo Mills, TX
Hunt In: Harper, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
It's the perception that grown men think it's ok to not wear a harness in a tree stand, and the younger or impressionable people following your misguided stance that's rubbing most of us wrong. You are possibly gambling with other people's safety, not just your own.
I understand your point but I am not telling anyone else what to do. I am simply saying that people are free to make their own decisions. The fact that not everyone agrees is not a bad thing. It is what make this the greatest place in the world to live. If you are right and I fall from a tree and die then that should be far more useful in your efforts to get other people to share your opinion.....I could become the poster child for your movement. You should be thanking me...LOL. Like I said before I am not mad at anyone. As far as I am concerned we can all be friends. I just hate it when people push their opinions on others. It has always been a sore spot for me. You wear a harness and I do not. I support both of our decisions.

-john
TX_Hoghunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 09:53 AM   #92
perow
Pope & Young
 
perow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Garland
Hunt In: Gordan, Moran
Default

I use the tree spider harness with the descent system. the free ones that come with stands aren't worth a crap-you need one that has the foot saddles so when you fall you can get the pressure off your groin area.

we are all free to make our own choices if we wear one or not,but I look at it as another thing to keep me safe while doing what I love and making it home safe to my family

Last edited by perow; 12-07-2017 at 10:01 AM..
perow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 09:56 AM   #93
Ironman
Pope & Young
 
Ironman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern Wise County
Hunt In: Anywhere
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_Hoghunter View Post
I understand your point but I am not telling anyone else what to do. I am simply saying that people are free to make their own decisions. The fact that not everyone agrees is not a bad thing. It is what make this the greatest place in the world to live. If you are right and I fall from a tree and die then that should be far more useful in your efforts to get other people to share your opinion.....I could become the poster child for your movement. You should be thanking me...LOL. Like I said before I am not mad at anyone. As far as I am concerned we can all be friends. I just hate it when people push their opinions on others. It has always been a sore spot for me. You wear a harness and I do not. I support both of our decisions.

-john
I understand your point as well. But this is a public forum, not a real hunting campfire. There's a time and place for everything. The lack of, or outright defying hunters safety doesn't belong here. Sorry you can't recognize that.
Ironman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 09:56 AM   #94
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young
 
SwampRabbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Tomball, TX
Hunt In: Hill Country & East Texas
Default

Good grief... unfortunately the "ignore list" didn't save me from reading this thread and getting all riled up. (can't stop people from quoting nonsense)

Gary, I don't think you have much to worry about. I think at this point, nobody is going to make you wear a harness. "free" harnesses with every stand, common sense, and peer pressure has pretty much reduced the accident rates enough to make most falls not have an significant financial impact to the rest of the country with increased health care costs and life insurance rates. The only people who will care are your loved ones and friends... oh and your brothers in the hunting community who mourn the loss of their brethren from something that was easily preventable.

We live in a country where you are pretty much free to "accidentally" kill yourself. Just don't be surprised when folks bearing common sense, who see every life as sacred, step in and try and stop you from doing so. Consider it as evidence that most of us have some sense of humanity and actually give a **** about others instead of just ourselves.
SwampRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 09:59 AM   #95
John Bowy
Spike
 
John Bowy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Troy,Texas
Hunt In: Bell County
Default

I would definitely rather be tied off. You can't teach on old dog new tricks
John Bowy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 09:59 AM   #96
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young
 
lovemylegacy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mauriceville
Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
If it was new, there should have been litigation.
Yes. This was around 2006 or so, maybe 2008. The tether system application was new to hunters at that time, or it was new to us.

I will have to get in touch with him and find out.
lovemylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 10:01 AM   #97
DRT
Pope & Young
 
DRT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Fort Worth, Tx
Hunt In: Jones County and Missouri
Default

Much rather die that way and there than in hospice with some disease or dimensia. The things I wouldn't want to die of are the real things that get too many folk. Wearing a harness is good insurance. I'm just not there. And for the record I have provided for my family financially. My kids are grown. I'm a big guy now.
DRT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 10:01 AM   #98
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young
 
lovemylegacy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mauriceville
Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampRabbit View Post
Good grief... unfortunately the "ignore list" didn't save me from reading this thread and getting all riled up. (can't stop people from quoting nonsense)

Gary, I don't think you have much to worry about. I think at this point, nobody is going to make you wear a harness. "free" harnesses with every stand, common sense, and peer pressure has pretty much reduced the accident rates enough to make most falls not have an significant financial impact to the rest of the country with increased health care costs and life insurance rates. The only people who will care are your loved ones and friends... oh and your brothers in the hunting community who mourn the loss of their brethren from something that was easily preventable.

We live in a country where you are pretty much free to "accidentally" kill yourself. Just don't be surprised when folks bearing common sense, who see every life as sacred, step in and try and stop you from doing so. Consider it as evidence that most of us have some sense of humanity and actually give a **** about others instead of just ourselves.
Very well put...but I would have put love instead of ****
lovemylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 10:02 AM   #99
TX_Hoghunter
Ten Point
 
TX_Hoghunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Caddo Mills, TX
Hunt In: Harper, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
I understand your point as well. But this is a public forum, not a real hunting campfire. There's a time and place for everything. The lack of, or outright defying hunters safety doesn't belong here. Sorry you can't recognize that.
This is one where we will just have to agree to disagree. I feel that if my post causing any young person to think for themselves, to make their own decisions, to not just follow the crowd then I have done much more good than harm. You are looking at this strictly as a harness = safety deal. I am looking at it more of a larger deal of people are free to do what they want to kind of a deal. As far as I am concerned no harm, no foul.

-john
TX_Hoghunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 10:04 AM   #100
bloodstick
Ten Point
 
bloodstick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Hunt In: All over Texas
Default

I started this thread as more of friendly reminder. But since it has turned into a bit of a sore subject, I will share my personal thoughts on the matter.

All my life i have never wore a harness. Grew up in Louisiana swamps hunting out of home built stands nailed to trees. I was young and stupid. Granted i never had an incident, but that only fueled my arrogance.
Fast forward to 2011 when i moved to Texas for the second time and met my wife. We hunted out of ladder stands mostly but also climbers. Still, neither of us wore a harness. I followed the many posts on here about the accidents and how it affected you and your families.
We then had a little boy, Eli, fixing to be 3 in March of 2018. So I broke down and bought a brand new harness this spring along with a new lockon, climbing sticks, and safety rope. The stand and safety equipment together cost about 110 bucks on sale.

I acquired a 400 acre piece of Grimes County that has not seen a hunter in nearly 11 years. Upon finding the perfect tree to hang my new set i put my harness on and linemans belt and began the process. At 11:00 it was pushing 90 degrees with no wind and lots of skeeters. The stress on this fat boys body was immense. I got the climbing sticks positioned and started to pull up the platform. Solely relying on my linemans belt around the trunk of that east texas pine, i lost all strength and started to pass out from heat exhaustion. The stand went all the way to the ground and i hung there for i don't know how long. When i felt i had the strength to climb down, i did. Hands and knees shaking every step of the way. I wasnt even sweating anymore but my clothes were already drenched. I live next door so the drive was short. My wife was frantic, put me in the shower and i just sat there and could hardly breath much less talk.

I had been climbing trees my whole life. And this was a near disaster. Had i not been tied off, that 20 foot plummet might have been the end of me and my son would not have known much of his father.
As a matter of fact, that incident scared me to the point that i have yet to even hunt out of that set this season. My brother did twice and saw deer both times.

If you dont wear one, i plead with you to please do it. Not for yourself, but your family.
bloodstick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com