Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 12-05-2017, 01:45 PM   #51
Justin Spies
Eight Point

Hunt In: East Tx, Kansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliteDriver View Post
If you shoot them in the shoulder, I don't think the broadhead makes a whole lot of difference. Maybe stay with the same broadhead and practice more???
There is one in every crowd. I shoot to 100 yards on a regular basis, and I have shot many deer through the heart and lungs.
Justin Spies is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2017, 01:55 PM   #52
DeadEyeB
Six Point

Hunt In: LaSalle/Frio

I've been using the G5 montec carbon steel because they are super easy to resharpen. I like these because I can shoot hogs all day and just resharpen them and not lose any money. They get amazing pass through.

They don't leave a great blood trail, but even poorly hit hogs pile up in 50 yards.. Well hit hogs i've had drop in 10 yards. The pass through part is what I love though. I use to use slick tricks and would sometimes not get a pass through on big hogs.. OFC end up with broken arrows and lost heads costing $$$$

Still have yet to take a deer with one though.
DeadEyeB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2017, 02:34 PM   #53
HC Sniper
Ten Point

Not making this personal. Don't change just because of a bad shot. It is not the broadheads fault.
Rage Hypodermic
Name:  2017 buck #4.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  181.1 KB
HC Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2017, 02:43 PM   #54
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lamar, Dickens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Spies View Post

I will add that I shoot plenty but I am no bow Guru so I need something that flies like my field tips. I tried GrizzTricks couple years ago out of a different bow and couldn't get them to fly well passed twenty-five yards. I have never shot a deer further than 50 yards but I practice out to 100 and to be confident in the head would like them to fly like my field tips at least out to 60 yards.

I am.
I use Slick Tricks and had similar thing happening to me, but it was after 30, and I rarely shoot that far so it wasn't much of an issue. I dropped my poundage 5#s and groups really tightend up. Dropping weight was more due to shoulder issue, but end result was better arrow flight. Not sure if it was arrow spine, my form, or something else but there it is.
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2017, 03:46 PM   #55
Justin Spies
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by HC Sniper View Post
Not making this personal. Don't change just because of a bad shot. It is not the broadheads fault.
Rage Hypodermic
Attachment 886517
I still need a fixed blade for my axis hunt.
Old 12-05-2017, 03:58 PM   #56
BURTONboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:
I still need a fixed blade for my axis hunt.
Go with a 2 blade for them. Their vitals are farther forward so you need to aim at the shoulder or at least a lot tighter to it. I shot a bull at 40 yards with solid 100gr and it went through both shoulders no problem. Same arrows as you cut the same length but I shoot a Mathews Heli-m. So your setup is faster therefore you shoud have even better results. Oh and blood trail was pretty dang good with that bh as well. Shot a doe also and she bled like crazy. Bull didnt go far enough to need to blood trail.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
BURTONboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2017, 04:01 PM   #57
hogdoggintexas
Six Point

Hunt In: Texas

Stinger or buzzcut's
hogdoggintexas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2017, 04:02 PM   #58
Big John
Four Point

Hunt In: Any where I can

Viper Trick
Big John is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2017, 04:04 PM   #59
Dry Bones
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas, Whatever comes available

I had used the Thunderheads, but quality seems to be going down hill, OR I am not getting real NAP blades?? The last pack I bought the replacement blades had flat spots, and were not straight. Obviously flight was terrible due to bad blades.
I left that and went to the Grim Reaper Carnifour. No more swapping for me.
I will say most of the people i hunt around use Slick Trix with Great results. Never much blood trail, but they penetrate deep and put in the right spot, nothing goes far.
Dry Bones is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2017, 04:11 PM   #60
Justin Spies
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernell View Post
I have killed elk at 73 yards I shoot good at 80. They don't plane like most 2 blade heads

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Where do you buy yours?
Old 12-05-2017, 04:41 PM   #61
SolocamShooter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastercraftka View Post
I have seen alot of mechanical fail, and no clue what you mean about poor blood trails with fixed??

Poor shot placement is probably more of a reason for no blood trails?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslinger View Post
Kindly disagree. Blood trails have more to do with shot placement than broadheads in my opinion. I shoot the Ramcats that have cutting diameters almost as big as some mechanicals and larger than most other fixed blades and they fly like darts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CastAndBlast View Post
Lol...this is funny
No doubt shot placement is key not sure why y'all didn't see that. But a 2.5" hole is gonna bleed more than a 1" hole 100% of the time no matter the shot if they are in the same location. That's why I'd go ramcat if I was to use a fixed. The larger cutting diameter is the way to go.
SolocamShooter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2017, 04:51 PM   #62
CastAndBlast
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Liberty Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolocamShooter View Post
No doubt shot placement is key not sure why y'all didn't see that. But a 2.5" hole is gonna bleed more than a 1" hole 100% of the time no matter the shot if they are in the same location. That's why I'd go ramcat if I was to use a fixed. The larger cutting diameter is the way to go.
True, the larger the hole, the more blood. That is common sense. Cutting surface area will actually have more impact on that than size of the hole...theoretically.

However, the larger the cutting surface, the less penetration (along with a million other factors such as blade angle, sharpness, size of the head or friction, etc.) Therefore, a large cutting mechanical broached has a better chance of only punching one hole (the high side if hunting elevated). One 2" hole on the high side will never bleed like two 1" holes.

Personally, I want the biggest hole possible with the highest chance of punching two holes. A mechanical is not your best option in this scenario.

Will it punch two holes? Yes. Will it as often as a fixed head? No.
CastAndBlast is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2017, 04:55 PM   #63
Grady_jones
Six Point

Hunt In: sutton county

Had the same problem as you I have switchcd to 125 grain rages with a heavier arrow and have shot deer in the shoulder and still had a good blood trail and he did not go far
Grady_jones is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2017, 05:01 PM   #64
Louis
Four Point

Quad exodus or ramcats. Bad to the bone and cuts wicked holes.
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2017, 05:02 PM   #65
hogdoggintexas
Six Point

Quote:
True, the larger the hole, the more blood. That is common sense. Cutting surface area will actually have more impact on that than size of the hole...theoretically.

However, the larger the cutting surface, the less penetration (along with a million other factors such as blade angle, sharpness, size of the head or friction, etc.) Therefore, a large cutting mechanical broached has a better chance of only punching one hole (the high side if hunting elevated). One 2" hole on the high side will never bleed like two 1" holes.

Personally, I want the biggest hole possible with the highest chance of punching two holes. A mechanical is not your best option in this scenario.

I completely agree
hogdoggintexas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2017, 05:02 PM   #66
Native Texan
Six Point

Hunt In: Polk County

Quote:

^^^This^^^

A complete pass through with a low exit is the key to a good blood trail. Best chance for that is shooting a heavy cut on contact fixed blade...especially when busting through bones.
If you aren't getting a complete pass through you will lose some animals sooner or later.
Native Texan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2017, 05:05 PM   #67
Justin Spies
Eight Point

Quote:
This...only broadheads in my quiver for 3 years now
Just the standard Ramcat?
Old 12-05-2017, 05:26 PM   #68
CastAndBlast
Pope & Young

Quote:
Just the standard Ramcat?
I shoot the 125 standard ramcat. 1.5" hole. Best broadhead I have found in respect to hole size and penetration. I can go into details, but don't want to bore you
Old 12-05-2017, 05:47 PM   #69
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kent Co., Stonewall Co., CO, Limpopo RSA

Name:  IMG_1404.JPG
Views: 186
Size:  173.3 KB

Name:  IMG_1410.JPG
Views: 184
Size:  148.4 KB

My summer Axis with 125 grain Ramcat and the entrance hole. 32 yards with a full pass thru!

70#'s and a 595 grain arrow!
Mudslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2017, 06:09 PM   #70
SolocamShooter
Pope & Young

Quote:

True! I don't have any isssue getting pass throughs with the mechanicals so that's my preference. Both are great broadheads depending on people's preference!
Old 12-05-2017, 06:10 PM   #71
Truckman
Six Point

Hunt In: Menard, Sonora, New Mexico , Kansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by xman59 View Post
nothing beats the magnus stinger for long range accuracy, and offers the best penetration at all ranges

but for the wider cut i suggest the black hornet, i have shot them out to 100 yards also
This all day long ^^^^

I too left rage. Magnus goes thru them like butter and many times they just stand there with blood pumping out and fall over dead at feeder.
Truckman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2017, 06:15 PM   #72
Aggiehunter08
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The World

QAD Exodus. Penetrate great and fly like a field point. Get the swept blades.
Aggiehunter08 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2017, 06:41 PM   #73
Justin Spies
Eight Point

Quote:
Attachment 886528

Attachment 886529

My summer Axis with 125 grain Ramcat and the entrance hole. 32 yards with a full pass thru!

70#'s and a 595 grain arrow!
What arrow do you shoot?
Old 12-05-2017, 06:42 PM   #74
Justin Spies
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
This all day long ^^^^

I too left rage. Magnus goes thru them like butter and many times they just stand there with blood pumping out and fall over dead at feeder.
Do you shoot the hornets?
Old 12-05-2017, 07:34 PM   #75
Skinny
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montague County

Hard to beat the Magnus Black Hornet. I shoot the 125 grain

Skinny
Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2017, 07:46 PM   #76
quackadikt
Four Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

Been thinking about picking up some black hornets to shoot in Jan when I get back to Pipe Creek. Going to try to shoot one with a Rage hypo +p...Both in 125gr.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
quackadikt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2017, 07:56 PM   #77
Truckman
Six Point

Hunt In: Menard, Sonora, New Mexico , Kansas

Quote:
Do you shoot the hornets?
Mostly stingers, killed 2 elk and 15 deer in the last 5 years. I like the hornets too. Just tried them once and son took them. Magnus also replaces for free any head you damage. Seriously they will.
This weekend had a deer turn towards me just as I released and blew threw both shoulders and broke the off leg.
Truckman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2017, 08:20 PM   #78
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

Ramcats are still a large cut than the Magnus heads and that is going cut to cut, not total cutting blades including the 4 blades as opposed to the 3 blades on a Ramcat.

Ramcat 100 grain heads, 1 3/8" cut.
Ramcat 125 grain heads, 1 1/2" cut.

A Magnus will not open a 1 1/2" cut in width!
Old 12-05-2017, 08:33 PM   #79
Rtsimp89
Four Point

Hunt In: Grayson Fannin

My father in law and his buddies went to Africa a few yrs back together I believe they shot 30 some odd animals all but one got a complete pass through on 100gr Exodus.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Rtsimp89 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2017, 08:39 PM   #80
rocky
Pope & Young

It's possible that many are overthinking, and overcomplicating killing deer with the bow and arrow.
I shoot a 390 grain arrow out of a 64lb bow at roughly 280 fps, and the only thing that keeps my arrow from blowing through any whitetail deer or average sized pigs is shot placement.
My FOC is roughly 11-12%, and it has never mattered whether I shot a fixed, or mechanical of various brands.
I'm very fortunate to have a wife that bowhunts, and her set-up keeps everything in perspective for me,(and my customers).
Lindy has a 25" draw length, shoots 42-46 lbs depending on how her shoulder is doing, Arrow weighs 290 grains and her broadhead is an 85 grain Slick Trick.
With this set-up, she can shoot thru the shoulders of any average whitetail, and can absolutely destroy any deer if she gets a quartering away shot.
She has killed several with an 85 grain mechanical also.
The last 2 years, she has killed a buck that grosses 135 or thereabouts, and one will easily make P&Y, and I think the other will be very close.
Whitetail deer are built fairly fragile, and don't require a lot of killing.
rocky is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2017, 08:49 PM   #81
BO-N-ARO
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kansas / Missouri / Africa

I have stated many times before that my pick is Montec G5 and I like the carbon steel over the stainless. I have killed my share of big Kansas bucks and African animals. Nothing but good luck with these heads.
BO-N-ARO is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2017, 11:39 PM   #82
mdnabors
Ten Point

Hunt In: Weatherford & Kansas

I took a lot of the factors out of it when I went to Heavy arrows with more FOC. I shoot micro diameter (.166) VAP Elite 300 Spine with 90gr SS outserts getting me around 500gr and ~15% FOC. They hit like a Hammer! I hunt big KS deer too and that’s the reason I upped my weight and went with a more powerful bow (~300fps with 500gr arrow). I didn’t want “bone or accidental bad shot” to rid me of a big deer. My 160” I killed this year was a 43yd complete pass through with arrow about 10-15yds passed him with a Rage Chisel Extreme 2.3”. I want biggest cut I can get with 2 holes thus my setup. I also practice out to 80-100yds myself so practice and shot placement are key, but my confidence went up knowing if I err forward I’m still gonna get into the vitals with my setup. FWIW my options for fixed would be Exodus, SerRazor, Ramcats or Shuttle T... Good Luck on axis hunt and finding setup that works for you

Last edited by mdnabors; 12-05-2017 at 11:41 PM..
mdnabors is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 07:57 AM   #83
J.B.
Ten Point

Keep the rages. Up your arrow weight and arrow spine accordingly.
J.B. is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 08:56 AM   #84
Jmac
Four Point

Grim reaper 1 3/8” expandables and the GR hybrids have worked really well for me.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 09:09 AM   #85
TxAg
Pope & Young

Rages are junk

Get a broadhead that will penetrate...slick trick, magnus, muzzy, etc.
TxAg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 09:28 AM   #86
SolocamShooter
Pope & Young

Lol
Old 12-06-2017, 08:41 PM   #87
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lamar, Dickens

Couple Slick trick blood trails

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 10:11 PM   #88
Hoyt125
Nubbin' Buck

How about best of both? Bloodsport grave digger
Hoyt125 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 10:22 PM   #89
CastAndBlast
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyt125 View Post

Lol...nothing like adding a parachute behind your broadhead...physics is a *****

Do y’all not realize that the OP is trying to increase penetration?
Old 12-06-2017, 10:25 PM   #90
kingranch
Ten Point

Quote:
125 or 100 grain Ramcat. You will thank me later. 1 3/8" on the 100 and1 1/2' 0n the 125. They cut some wicked holes.
this

use 100gr heads and 125 blades

im out
kingranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 10:42 PM   #91
BLACKFINTURKEY
Ten Point

Hunt In: Marion,Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big John View Post
Viper Trick
Gets my vote.
BLACKFINTURKEY is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 11:14 PM   #92
John Bowy
Spike

Hunt In: Bell County

Can't go wrong with Muzzy trocar switch the are a fixed blade that adjusts from 1" to 1 1/4".
John Bowy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 11:21 PM   #93
rebelbow
Ten Point

Hunt In: tx,ks,ok

Quote:
I really like the looks of the Simmons Mako anyone shooting these?
i've shot the makos and really like them
currently my set up is fmj's with simmons tiger shark 175 gr
the just introduced a 135 gr head this yr
good flight at 250 fps
rebelbow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 11:47 PM   #94
Loneaggie
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County

I’ve been shooting rage hypos for a couple of years. But this year I went a different route. QAD Exodus. I’ve shot three animals with them; 1) 190# boar through near shoulder and our behind opposite - ran 60 yards with decent blood, 2) whitetail buck quartering away in pocket out opposite shoulder - dropped 25 yards from impact with a ridiculous blood trail, 3) whitetail buck smack dab in middle of shoulder - dropped on impact. I shot grizz tricks before the hypos with marginal results. Loving the Exodus though. Tough tough tough. Very sharp thick blades. Fly great. Oh and all made in the USA.
Loneaggie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 12:12 AM   #95
Justin Spies
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdnabors View Post
I took a lot of the factors out of it when I went to Heavy arrows with more FOC. I shoot micro diameter (.166) VAP Elite 300 Spine with 90gr SS outserts getting me around 500gr and ~15% FOC. They hit like a Hammer! I hunt big KS deer too and that’s the reason I upped my weight and went with a more powerful bow (~300fps with 500gr arrow). I didn’t want “bone or accidental bad shot” to rid me of a big deer. My 160” I killed this year was a 43yd complete pass through with arrow about 10-15yds passed him with a Rage Chisel Extreme 2.3”. I want biggest cut I can get with 2 holes thus my setup. I also practice out to 80-100yds myself so practice and shot placement are key, but my confidence went up knowing if I err forward I’m still gonna get into the vitals with my setup. FWIW my options for fixed would be Exodus, SerRazor, Ramcats or Shuttle T... Good Luck on axis hunt and finding setup that works for you
What bow are you shooting?
Old 12-07-2017, 07:24 AM   #96
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyt125 View Post
Not only nope, but ### no! Been there ad done that and will not go back!
Old 12-07-2017, 07:26 AM   #97
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdnabors View Post
Them arrows are light! LOL! Sounds like a great set up.

Mine are 595 grains with 19-20% FOC.
Old 12-07-2017, 07:35 AM   #98
6.5 shooter
Six Point

Rage and their customer service is horrible. I threw away a pack if their defective heads and will never spend another dime with feradyne outdoors.
6.5 shooter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 07:40 AM   #99
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones County and Missouri

I shoot Rage heads out of my compound. They normally punch through the shoulders of Texas deer. If you hit the solid part of the bone at the joint area it's going to be hard for the average set up to punch through.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk
DRT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 07:47 AM   #100
kd350
Ten Point

Hunt In: Reagan wells, fedor, paige, rocksprings

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
Rage and their customer service is horrible. I threw away a pack if their defective heads and will never spend another dime with feradyne outdoors.
Really? I had a great experience with their customer service, they even helped me out when they didn’t need to
kd350 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top