Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 12-05-2017, 12:01 PM   #101
Jason Fry
Ten Point

Hunt In: a tall tree

Advice to this point is spot on. Sherriff will say to deal with it. SSS works reliably.
Jason Fry is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2017, 12:56 PM   #102
Bci2nd
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarterback View Post
Respectfully disagree. As stated in the Penal Code it is perfectly legal to stop the threat. In this case, roaming dogs trespassing on this man's property and killing his livestock justify doing what he has to do to stop it. It's just sad that the dog owners won't take the appropriate action in the first place. They basically leave the livestock (chicken) owner no choice and that's not right.

Although I am a fan of the dead chicken tied around the dog's neck trick first. And be sure to video it.
The penal code does not give your permission to do anything. The penal code only lists illegal activities. If it NOT listed in the penal code than it is legal.

Im not saying that he cant shoot the dog. Im saying that it is not legal and he could still have to run the course of the legal system for doing so as a “defense to prosecution” is simply just that. He could still very much be arrested and forced to defend himself in court.

The same as defending against a human predator, no matter how justified, you could still be forced to defend your actions.

Im not speaking from opinion but from professional experience and Im not trying to prove anyone wrong.

Those that are saying it is legal arent “wrong” but theyre also not right.

The correct term to use, especially in “use of force” situations where the smallest details matter, is “justified” or “justifiable”.

The action, even though justifiable, is still illegal.
Bci2nd is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2017, 01:04 PM   #103
billfromtx
Pope & Young

...No sir, I aint seen your chicken killing POS dog...recently!
billfromtx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2017, 01:20 PM   #104
justindfw
Ten Point

Make a police report first so there is evidence of the dog killing your livestock. If the dog comes back do ehat you have to do. Thats what we did and the sheriff said we did what we had to do legally
justindfw is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2017, 01:26 PM   #105
cricman
Ten Point

Hunt In: West of Weatherford

If my dog got loose and killed a neighbors chickens, the only thing I would hope for is to maybe get the collar back, to use on the next dog. I would then get live with the guilt of not caring enough about my pet, as to put their well-being in jeopardy.

cricman
cricman is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2017, 01:31 PM   #106
DirtyDave
Ten Point

I hate the idea of having to kill a dog, but protecting People/Pets/Livestock is justified.

The threads that really get me ticked off are the ones with the guys killing hunting dogs for no reason other than its on their property.
DirtyDave is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2017, 09:35 PM   #107
Lostacresranch
Six Point

[quote=Bci2nd;12987315]The penal code does not give your permission to do anything. The penal code only lists illegal activities. If it NOT listed in the penal code than it is legal.

Im not saying that he cant shoot the dog. Im saying that it is not legal and he could still have to run the course of the legal system for doing so as a “defense to prosecution” is simply just that. He could still very much be arrested and forced to defend himself in court.

The same as defending against a human predator, no matter how justified, you could still be forced to defend your actions.

Im not speaking from opinion but from professional experience and Im not trying to prove anyone wrong.

The correct term to use, especially in “use of force” situations where the smallest details matter, is “justified” or “justifiable”.

The action, even though justifiable, is still illegal.[/
You are comparing "use of force" options in self defense to the protection of livestock? You can if you want, but you are incorrect if you think shooting dogs on your property that are killing your livestock is illegal. It's not. Not in Texas, or where I live in LA. Unless you are in city limits and get a discharge of firearms in city limits violation, he won't get in trouble.
Lostacresranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2017, 09:55 PM   #108
Shinesintx
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Franklin County

Pea Gravel!!!

Put pea gravel in a coffee can, shake it loudly when the dogs come near the chickens

If that doesn’t work, swat the dogs on the nose with a rolled newspaper and speak sternly to the dogs.

Vanilla...nah, that ain’t gonna work. Neither are the other two suggestions...maybe just go with SSS and call it a day.
Shinesintx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2017, 10:12 PM   #109
Tom
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rocky Mountains, Africa

the dogs are pets...don't shoot a pet. Ask the owners what they want you to do and what they expect you to do.....perhaps they don't want the dogs and you can convince them to take them to the rescue house.

if you shoot a dog for just being a dog then you will just feel like a **** at the end of the day or they would already be dead.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2017, 10:18 PM   #110
Bci2nd
Four Point

[quote=Lostacresranch;12989043]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bci2nd View Post
The penal code does not give your permission to do anything. The penal code only lists illegal activities. If it NOT listed in the penal code than it is legal.

The action, even though justifiable, is still illegal.[/
You are comparing "use of force" options in self defense to the protection of livestock? You can if you want, but you are incorrect if you think shooting dogs on your property that are killing your livestock is illegal. It's not. Not in Texas, or where I live in LA. Unless you are in city limits and get a discharge of firearms in city limits violation, he won't get in trouble.
Texas Penal Code 42.092

(8)(b)(2) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly: without the owner‘s effective consent, kills, administers poison to, or causes serious bodily injury to an animal.

(d) It is a defense to prosecution under this section that1) the animal was discovered on the person’s property in the act of or after injuring or killing the person’s livestock animals or damaging the person’s crops and that the person killed or injured the animal at the time of this discovery.

A “defense to prosecution” does not make the act of killing the dog legal. Again, the penal code does not list legal acts, only illegal ones.

I have proven with verbatim quotes from the penal code that the act of killing the dog is illegal and as such you could be arrested and face prosecution.

The defense to prosecution is simply just that, it is evidence to be presented to a judge/jury that killing the dog was the only recourse even though it is illegal.

Again, illegal and justifiable are two different words.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:24 AM   #111
Lostacresranch
Six Point

Default Dog killing my chickens.

[quote=Bci2nd;12989190]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostacresranch View Post

Texas Penal Code 42.092

(8)(b)(2) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly: without the owner‘s effective consent, kills, administers poison to, or causes serious bodily injury to an animal.

(d) It is a defense to prosecution under this section that1) the animal was discovered on the person’s property in the act of or after injuring or killing the person’s livestock animals or damaging the person’s crops and that the person killed or injured the animal at the time of this discovery.

A “defense to prosecution” does not make the act of killing the dog legal. Again, the penal code does not list legal acts, only illegal ones.

I have proven with verbatim quotes from the penal code that the act of killing the dog is illegal and as such you could be arrested and face prosecution.

The defense to prosecution is simply just that, it is evidence to be presented to a judge/jury that killing the dog was the only recourse even though it is illegal.

Again, illegal and justifiable are two different words.

Yes. I read what you posted. All of it. And again, if the OP shoots these dogs on HIS property, or property he lives on, dogs that are threatening to kill, or actually killing his livestock, i.e. "Chickens", he is acting in an acceptable manner, and will be well within his rights to do so. You can argue the penal code all you want. It proves my point. The section you posted proves "defense to prosecution". He will not be charged. He will not be prosecuted.
He has done the right thing and told the owners. If these dogs come back, he can shoot them. And he won't go to jail or be held liable for it.
Lostacresranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 01:13 PM   #112
Bci2nd
Four Point

A defense to prosecution is not a defense to arrest or a defense to being charged.

The chances of him being charged however slim are in fact still there as an offense will have been committed if he does decide to shoot the aninals.
Old 12-06-2017, 01:21 PM   #113
flyby
Ten Point

Hunt In: Parker County

[quote=Lostacresranch;12990442]
Quote:

Yes. I read what you posted. All of it. And again, if the OP shoots these dogs on HIS property, or property he lives on, dogs that are threatening to kill, or actually killing his livestock, i.e. "Chickens", he is acting in an acceptable manner, and will be well within his rights to do so. You can argue the penal code all you want. It proves my point. The section you posted proves "defense to prosecution". He will not be charged. He will not be prosecuted.
He has done the right thing and told the owners. If these dogs come back, he can shoot them. And he won't go to jail or be held liable for it.
Bci2nd is spot on. It IS ILLEGAL, and he CAN be ARRESTED!!! A "defense to prosecution" comes during the trial phase, not before. It's pretty obvious you don't understand Texas law.

Quote:
A defense to prosecution is not a defense to arrest or a defense to being charged.

The chances of him being charged however slim are in fact still there as an offense will have been committed if he does decide to shoot the aninals.
Good job posting the Penal Code and with your explanation.
flyby is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 01:30 PM   #114
wal1809
Eight Point

There is a better way to handle this. GO get the guy, drink a beer with him and tell him the dogs are doing it again. Don't talk to him until it is just you and him. 9 times out of 10 you can come to some reasonable peaceful resolve. That way there is no legalities, be it you are right or wrong in the eye of the law. You also don't make an enemy out of a neighbor. If you kill the dogs they will always suspect you're the one. Why enter into that when a follow up visit to him will probably stop it?
wal1809 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 01:36 PM   #115
Jaybo31
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montgomery County

These's a whooole lota people that don't understand how "defense to prosecution" works or what it means.
Jaybo31 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 01:43 PM   #116
westtexducks
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
the dogs are pets...don't shoot a pet. Ask the owners what they want you to do and what they expect you to do.....perhaps they don't want the dogs and you can convince them to take them to the rescue house.

if you shoot a dog for just being a dog then you will just feel like a **** at the end of the day or they would already be dead.

I shoot deer for being deer, coyotes for being coyotes and mice for being mice all the time. They dont want fido shot for killing livestock they better keep him locked up and under control

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
westtexducks is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 03:04 PM   #117
JackRyan
Four Point

Hunt In: South Texas

I'm really surprised by the number of "kill the dogs" replies. I just had this happen to last week. My neighbor's dogs broke through our fence and killed both of our chickens during the night. Was I upset? Of course I was. One of the chickens was my daughters and she was distraught. Would I shoot the dogs? No I would not. These are his pets and I've my own share of trouble keeping our little dog inside of our fence. I had a talk with my neighbor and told him what happened. He was apologetic and offered to replace the chickens. I told him that we need to do whatever needs to be done to keep his dogs in his yard and he agreed. Whether legal or not it would take a lot for me to come to shooting a dog. If one was attacking me or my family I wouldn't hesitate but otherwise I'm not going to be shooting someone else's dog.

Sent from my LG-H634 using Tapatalk
JackRyan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 03:14 PM   #118
kruppa24
Ten Point

Hunt In: Concho

These dogs are not in a fence and never have been. I have talked to the neighbor, and they are apologetic, but they have never offered to pay for a chicken and still let there dogs run loose.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
kruppa24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 03:25 PM   #119
TX_Hoghunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Harper, TX

I have already posted to shoot the dogs but I am amazed by all of the people that post oh its a pet don't shoot a pet.......If the owners cared about the dogs they would keep them at home, plain and simple. For all of you people that are perfectly fine with someone elses property ( i.e. dogs ) destroying someone elses property ( i.e. chickens ) what if I load up a trailer load of cows and let them start grazing in your manicured yard?...maybe let them crap in your swimming pools some........Or God forbid maybe lick the paint off of your lifted 3/4 ton 4x4 truck with a 42 inch light bar on the roof..........

-john
TX_Hoghunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 03:38 PM   #120
tex4k
Ten Point

Hunt In: Reagan, Upton, Crockett, and Uvalde counties

I read threads here all the time about the pure hatred of hogs, coons, coyotes, and thieves. People are actually willing to or at least voice their willingness for mass elimination, torture, and who knows what. What is the difference between them doing what they do and a dog doing what it does. There is absolutely no difference other than how a person has conditioned their thinking. Every situation calls for its own response.
tex4k is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 04:54 PM   #121
flyinstroke
Six Point

Hunt In: Hunt,TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_Hoghunter View Post
I have already posted to shoot the dogs but I am amazed by all of the people that post oh its a pet don't shoot a pet.......If the owners cared about the dogs they would keep them at home, plain and simple. For all of you people that are perfectly fine with someone elses property ( i.e. dogs ) destroying someone elses property ( i.e. chickens ) what if I load up a trailer load of cows and let them start grazing in your manicured yard?...maybe let them crap in your swimming pools some........Or God forbid maybe lick the paint off of your lifted 3/4 ton 4x4 truck with a 42 inch light bar on the roof..........

-john

Had a solution to a similar problem in college. Neighbors dogs ate my chickens. They didn't and I didn't live in an area I felt comfortable shooting. Solution..... I bought the meanest old Billy Goat I could find and it may or may not have stayed in my fence and it may or may not have hurt said dogs. After that I removed the goat and never had another problem with dogs.
flyinstroke is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 05:05 PM   #122
Rack Ranch
Ten Point

Hunt In: Knee Deep Salty Water

I killed a pack of 4 dogs that belonged to my neighbor while they were in the process of trying to kill a calve. He tried to file charges and sought compensation for vet bills, one of them didn't die at the scene, but the law protected my rights as a landowner. As stated, if they are killing your livestock.....
Rack Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 05:25 PM   #123
Briar Friar
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Gabriel, Colorado and Rio Grande watersheds

LDPs please.

Ive got 60 birds. Thankfully I dont have this problem. I had a skunk decapitate 8 chicks in one night...I found him dead in the coop because the hens pecked him to his grave.

Good luck Kruppa.
Briar Friar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 05:33 PM   #124
glen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

OP. Take a bill to the neighbors for replacement cost from local feed store. They don't have to offer. You demand they pay you for damages done bybtheir pet
glen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 05:42 PM   #125
MASTERS
Ten Point

Hunt In: In the brush....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex4k View Post
I read threads here all the time about the pure hatred of hogs, coons, coyotes, and thieves. People are actually willing to or at least voice their willingness for mass elimination, torture, and who knows what. What is the difference between them doing what they do and a dog doing what it does. There is absolutely no difference other than how a person has conditioned their thinking. Every situation calls for its own response.
I agree.
MASTERS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 06:12 PM   #126
Lawhunter
Eight Point

Quote:
It actually is against the law, but the subsection of the statute I listed gives a defense to prosecution.

Same as killing another human, its illegal but extenuating circumstances make it justified.
Not exactly accurate. Murder is a crime. Justified homicide is not.
Lawhunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 06:21 PM   #127
Johnny44
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad74 View Post
I'd give your neighbor a warning and then shoot them the next time.
The only problem with that is it escalates the neighbor wars because folk like that don’t recognize they are the problem.

Just kill them and haul them off.
Johnny44 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 06:32 PM   #128
TxKronik
Ten Point

Hunt In: Webb and Comal County

Quote:
Thats the health and safety code.

Look up and read 42.092 of the PENAL code.
And traffic violations are in the traffic code Police land sheriffs enforce a lot of codes other than penal code I enforced that particular health and safety code section a ton when I was a leo penal code is not the only place to find what is and is not legal.

kronik by Diamond
TxKronik is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 06:43 PM   #129
TxKronik
Ten Point

[quote=flyby;12990799]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostacresranch View Post

Bci2nd is spot on. It IS ILLEGAL, and he CAN be ARRESTED!!! A "defense to prosecution" comes during the trial phase, not before. It's pretty obvious you don't understand Texas law.

Good job posting the Penal Code and with your explanation.
So do you not enforce the traffic code as a k9? According to your post if its not in the penal code then you can't enforce it or use it.

It may say that in the penal code but that doesn't take into account other codes that exist and context of the situation.

As a Leo you have to use your brain and be aware of other codes that apply in certain situations. Health and safety code takes over in a livestock situation like this.

Its basic police academy stuff here.

By the way the drug cases you put on people for controlled substances and such don't some of those come from the health an safety code that you are ignoring here?

The answer here is yes

kronik by Diamond

Last edited by TxKronik; 12-06-2017 at 06:49 PM..
Old 12-06-2017, 07:16 PM   #130
Bci2nd
Four Point

Nothing is being ignored. There are many over lapping areas between penal, traffic, H&S, cvo and other statutes.

It being listed as a “may” in the H&S doesnt alleviate the offense from the penal code.

Would charges be brought? Probably not.

But could they be? They sure could.

I never said only the penal code was enforced, I said the penal code only lists illegal activities and if your activity is not listed it is not illegal as it pertains to the penal code.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:26 PM   #131
TxKronik
Ten Point

Which is ignoring other facts to suit your point of view the totality of the circumstances determine what applies when

You can't shoot your neighbors dog for barking but this is a different set of circumstances

Some drugs are a controlled substance and illegal with out a prescription doesn't mean you can be arrested for having them in the correct package with the prescription on it and have to prove it to a jury.

kronik by Diamond

Last edited by TxKronik; 12-06-2017 at 09:33 PM..
Old 12-06-2017, 09:47 PM   #132
Thegutman
Eight Point

Hunt In: Del rio tx

My mom just went through a similar incident, but it was her neighbors goats coming on her property and eating her garden and newly planted fruit trees. She talked with the neighbor multiple times but it continued. She was upset but didn’t know what to do about it. Well when i came up for thanksgiving I solved the problem for her. Her local yotes ate pretty good lol. Funny thing is my mom got so mad at me, can’t win for lose i guess.
Thegutman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 09:52 PM   #133
Johnny_Dodson
Four Point

Default Dog killing my chickens.

To those saying he shouldn’t shoot the dogs if the neighbors refuses to do something, what if we changed chickens to family dogs. Is fair that one persons pet is killing my pet, should I not defend my dog.
I think it should even be more clear when the animal is income producing. I have a right to protect it and my livelihood.
SSS if it’s not resolved by neighbors after letting them know of problem.

Johnny_Dodson is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 10:15 PM   #134
Ryan81
Eight Point

Hunt In: NE Texas, Oklahoma

If it were my dog, I would want you to come talk to me like a man instead of just killing my dog. I would make it right and pay for the damages/replace the livestock.

Just my 2 cents.

Ryan81 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 11:49 PM   #135
rvd
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

FWIW... I recommend the 22 mag, field research has proven the 22 lr to be insufficient for proper sss, especially when it involves pit bulls.
rvd is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 12:47 AM   #136
texasdeerhunter
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan81 View Post
If it were my dog, I would want you to come talk to me like a man instead of just killing my dog. I would make it right and pay for the damages/replace the livestock.

Just my 2 cents.

Try this first. Then if they don’t resolve the issue, shoot the dogs
texasdeerhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 04:40 AM   #137
aggieman08
Six Point

Peter roll ‘em!
aggieman08 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 07:41 AM   #138
Tuffbroadhead
Pope & Young

§ 822.013. Dogs or Coyotes That Attack Animals
(a) A dog or coyote that is attacking, is about to attack, or has recently attacked livestock, domestic animals, or fowls may be killed by:
(1) any person witnessing the attack; or
(2) the attacked animal's owner or a person acting on behalf of the owner if the owner or person has knowledge of the attack.
(b) A person who kills a dog or coyote as provided by this section is not liable for damages to the owner, keeper, or person in control of the dog or coyote.
(c) A person who discovers on the person's property a dog or coyote known or suspected of having killed livestock, domestic animals, or fowls may detain or impound the dog or coyote and return it to its owner or deliver the dog or coyote to the local animal control authority. The owner of the dog or coyote is liable for all costs incurred in the capture and care of the dog or coyote and all damage done by the dog or coyote.
(d) The owner, keeper, or person in control of a dog or coyote that is known to have attacked livestock, domestic animals, or fowls shall control the dog or coyote in a manner approved by the local animal control authority.
(e) A person is not required to acquire a hunting license under Section 42.002, Parks and Wildlife Code, to kill a dog or coyote under this section.
CREDIT(S)
Added by Acts 1989, 71st Leg., ch. 678, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1989. Renumbered from V.T.C.A., Health & Safety Code § 822.033 and amended by Acts 2003, 78th Leg., ch. 1002, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 2003
Tuffbroadhead is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 08:07 AM   #139
TxKronik
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdeerhunter View Post
Try this first. Then if they don’t resolve the issue, shoot the dogs
He already tried this didn't work

kronik by Diamond
Old 12-07-2017, 08:13 AM   #140
Wilsondrake
Nubbin' Buck

Then you better put your chickens in the Fence
Wilsondrake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 09:33 AM   #141
flyby
Ten Point

Hunt In: Parker County

hmmm......Not sure Health and Safety Code trumps Penal Code, but does give a different perspective.

Last edited by flyby; 12-07-2017 at 09:37 AM..
flyby is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 10:17 AM   #142
Backwoods101
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brazoria/Fort Bend county, Harper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_Hoghunter View Post

-john
You've never had your dogs get out? My daughter left the gate open a couple of weeks ago and both my dogs roamed the neighborhood for a couple of hours (That's the first time they have gotten out of my 5 acre yard in at least 2 years, last time was when the gate was left open as well)
Well is guess they enjoyed their freedom cause 2 days later they were gone again. I patched the spot they dug out of and 6 more spots in the fence that looked like they could get out of if they wanted to bad enough. Next day my lil dog was gone again. This time when I found him he was greeted with pretty good arse whoopin, patched the new hole and the fence has been holding them since then. Just cause a dog gets out doesn't mean the owner doesn't care about their dog or that the owner is neglecting his or her responsibility.
So by your rationality it would be ok if I started shooting your cows cause they are eating my grass and licking my truck
If someone was to shoot my dog cause it was killing their chickens I would take it like a man, but I can promise you its going to hurt my family ALOT, and imo not worth it over a chicken or 50 chickens for that matter.
Backwoods101 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 10:24 AM   #143
Backwoods101
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brazoria/Fort Bend county, Harper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRyan View Post
I'm really surprised by the number of "kill the dogs" replies. I just had this happen to last week. My neighbor's dogs broke through our fence and killed both of our chickens during the night. Was I upset? Of course I was. One of the chickens was my daughters and she was distraught. Would I shoot the dogs? No I would not. These are his pets and I've my own share of trouble keeping our little dog inside of our fence. I had a talk with my neighbor and told him what happened. He was apologetic and offered to replace the chickens. I told him that we need to do whatever needs to be done to keep his dogs in his yard and he agreed. Whether legal or not it would take a lot for me to come to shooting a dog. If one was attacking me or my family I wouldn't hesitate but otherwise I'm not going to be shooting someone else's dog.

Sent from my LG-H634 using Tapatalk
Backwoods101 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 11:02 AM   #144
160class
Ten Point

Hunt In: Catarina, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan81 View Post

Just my 2 cents.

He has done that and the dogs still aren't inside and they still haven't put a fence up.

You've talked to them and tried to get them to understand the situation, I would shoot the dogs, if the owners don't take matters into their hands when they are presented with the problem it's your time to do it. If they get mad they have no leg to stand on because they were warned in advance of what would happen
160class is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 11:41 AM   #145
TX_Hoghunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Harper, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoods101 View Post
You've never had your dogs get out? My daughter left the gate open a couple of weeks ago and both my dogs roamed the neighborhood for a couple of hours (That's the first time they have gotten out of my 5 acre yard in at least 2 years, last time was when the gate was left open as well)
Well is guess they enjoyed their freedom cause 2 days later they were gone again. I patched the spot they dug out of and 6 more spots in the fence that looked like they could get out of if they wanted to bad enough. Next day my lil dog was gone again. This time when I found him he was greeted with pretty good arse whoopin, patched the new hole and the fence has been holding them since then. Just cause a dog gets out doesn't mean the owner doesn't care about their dog or that the owner is neglecting his or her responsibility.
So by your rationality it would be ok if I started shooting your cows cause they are eating my grass and licking my truck
If someone was to shoot my dog cause it was killing their chickens I would take it like a man, but I can promise you its going to hurt my family ALOT, and imo not worth it over a chicken or 50 chickens for that matter.
The OP has had repeated problems. This was not a one time deal. The suggestion to kill the dogs was because of that. A one time thing can always happen but if dogs are killing livestock more than once the owners still do not find a way to keep them up then shooting them is the answer.

-john
TX_Hoghunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 01:46 PM   #146
friscopaint
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruppa24 View Post
These dogs are not in a fence and never have been. I have talked to the neighbor, and they are apologetic, but they have never offered to pay for a chicken and still let there dogs run loose.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
There you go, they are aware of it yet choose to do nothing about it. Only solution is to kill them in the act.
friscopaint is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 01:48 PM   #147
friscopaint
Ten Point

I would expect my neighbors to do the same if my dogs were killing their chickens. I did shoot my neighbors dog with a daisy red rider when it was after my chickens, told him and he said to kill it if it does it again.
friscopaint is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 02:19 PM   #148
Tuffbroadhead
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyby View Post
hmmm......Not sure Health and Safety Code trumps Penal Code, but does give a different perspective.

I'm not saying it trumps it, but in my opinion it would work in conjunction with the penal code and for a defense to prosecution.

Over the years I have had my share of incidents with stray dogs and pet dogs killing livestock and poultry.

In Parker county from what I understand we have a county wide leash law which applies also to incidents when and if they happen, I have had the sheriffs Dept return the collars of dogs that have attacked and killed livestock and poultry to their owners along with a verbal notice that I will be seeking restitution for damages in small claims court. Whether or not they took the collars back to the owners or not I don't know, for all I know they just tossed them in the trash.
Tuffbroadhead is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 02:29 PM   #149
Bci2nd
Four Point

Those of us familiar with these statutes also are familiar with should vs shall and may vs must.

Hsc says may, not must.

They dont lightly consider these words when riding statutes. They are worded very specifically for a reason.

This will be my last comment on the issue, for the umpteenth time, justified and legal are two seperate, very much different words.

Legal = go home

Justified(able) = possibly explain to judge/jury why you chose the course you did.

In todays social media driven world dont be too surprised if you find a DA willing to prosecute for headlines especially something as “gossipy” as a neighbor feud over shooting dogs.
Old 12-07-2017, 03:53 PM   #150
jaytx
Four Point

Hunt In: Anywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by spro View Post
I guess I'm just a softy and the minority on this one. IMHO, loosing a $5 chicken or two is not a good reason to kill a family dog unless all other measures to protect your chickens have been taken. Talk to the neighbors first and see if they are willing to put up an electric fence and or other measures to keep the dog from the chickens. Dogs will be dogs. You may have the right to shoot the dog but you and the dog owner also have to live with that decision. Having a good relationship with your neighbor would me more important to me.

Not sure how we have gotten to the point people look down on others protecting their property they paid hard earned money for and the irresponsible people cauaing the issues are given a pass.
jaytx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top