Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 08-14-2017, 05:36 PM   #201
Txhuntr2
Six Point

Hunt In: Val Verde

Agreed that supplemental feed is good for the herd. But as you mentioned, without age and genetics In place, it's a lot of money for not much gain. Especially if your neighbors aren't on the same page. Now, if you have mature deer, with good sex ratios and have a large enough contiguous tract, then a supplemental feeding program can put you over the edge. Especially with a high fence or very large tract to help control the flow of genetics coupled with careful selective harvest. If all a person does is run a free choice protein feeder and corn feeder but nothing else, they have spent a lot and probably won't notice any gains.
Txhuntr2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2017, 06:11 PM   #202
Txhuntr2
Six Point

Disease managemt is another concern with an intense supplemental feeding program. Especially in our area where anthrax is a concern. Rate of disease transmission in wild animals is directly related to herd density. That is, if carrying capacity is exceeded by means of supplemental feeding or otherwise, an outbreak will spread more quickly and be potentially more devastating. Just food for thought. Pun intended.
Old 08-15-2017, 05:02 PM   #203
brianlg31
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Pandale
Default Val Verde County

Some pics from this weekend. I got really excited about the width on the first buck. But the more I study him, I'm thinking he needs another year or 2. Then I saw the 10 pointer but I think he is even younger. Honestly (and I know this is a rookie mistake) I never paid any attention to the second one because is just a small (antler) 8. But I'm really think he is my oldest buck so far. Time will tell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
brianlg31 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2017, 05:33 PM   #204
jheflinland
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlg31 View Post

Some pics from this weekend. I got really excited about the width on the first buck. But the more I study him, I'm thinking he needs another year or 2. Then I saw the 10 pointer but I think he is even younger. Honestly (and I know this is a rookie mistake) I never paid any attention to the second one because is just a small (antler) 8. But I'm really think he is my oldest buck so far. Time will tell.

Nice looking bucks! I hardly ever make my mind up on age until I see them in hard horn, closer to season. Some of them will go from looking like a 3 yr old to looking like a 6 yr old in a few months.

Unless... I can match them up with previous years' photos. I get addicted to trying to put subsequent years together of a single buck. Makes the age guess a lot more definitive.
jheflinland is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2017, 06:22 PM   #205
brianlg31
Pope & Young

Default Val Verde County

Quote:
Originally Posted by jheflinland View Post
Nice looking bucks! I hardly ever make my mind up on age until I see them in hard horn, closer to season. Some of them will go from looking like a 3 yr old to looking like a 6 yr old in a few months.

Unless... I can match them up with previous years' photos. I get addicted to trying to put subsequent years together of a single buck. Makes the age guess a lot more definitive.

This is only my second year to hunt this place, so I don't have a lot of history with them. I am working on building a file with pictures. I save every picture of every buck I have. Hopefully in another 4-5 years I can say "he's 6.5 I have pictures of him as a 2 yo 7 pointer" I actually think I do have a 2yo 7. May even be younger than 2, his body is tiny.

Last edited by brianlg31; 08-15-2017 at 06:28 PM..
Old 08-15-2017, 06:28 PM   #206
jheflinland
Four Point

Here is one I'm thinking about putting on the chopping block and calling a cull this year. What do y'all say on age? 3 yrs worth of photos. No real good photos of him yet this year but I think I have enough to make the call.

jheflinland is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2017, 06:39 PM   #207
Thegutman
Eight Point

Hunt In: Del rio tx

Hunter are you heading out Thursday after work or friday morning? I will be headed west friday but probably not till around lunch time. It depends on what all I can get done after work, we haven't been getting off till almost 5!
Thegutman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2017, 06:46 PM   #208
F0WL_LIF3
Eight Point

Hunt In: Juno, Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegutman View Post
Hunter are you heading out Thursday after work or friday morning? I will be headed west friday but probably not till around lunch time. It depends on what all I can get done after work, we haven't been getting off till almost 5!
Looks like we are headed out at 3am on Friday bud!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
F0WL_LIF3 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2017, 09:07 PM   #209
CoolHandLuke
Ten Point

Hunt In: Del Rio

We're Loma Alta bound Thursday morning. Curious to see what's on the cards and if we got any of the rain in the last few weeks. Our place is funny about missing the rain by half a mile. We hunt 5000 acres of a 14000 acre ranch and it can miss the whole ranch by less than a mile.
CoolHandLuke is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2017, 09:40 PM   #210
brianlg31
Pope & Young

Looks like our place is getting some rain now. I'm really not looking forward to a normal year out there!

Old 08-15-2017, 10:34 PM   #211
Txhuntr2
Six Point

You are right about that. Rain is good, but I have a feeling it's leading up to another tough/strange year.
Old 08-15-2017, 10:41 PM   #212
brianlg31
Pope & Young

Just heard it even knocked the power out at the house. Of course it doesn't take much for that to happen
Old 08-16-2017, 06:40 AM   #213
blntrey3
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Val Verde County, Loma Alta

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolHandLuke View Post
Did you find out if y'all got any rain? We are right down the road.
Yes we did....sorry I forgot to post back. But we got a really good shower.
blntrey3 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2017, 09:27 AM   #214
SabreKiller
Ten Point

Hunt In: I used to hunt in Culberson County, but now I hunt in Val Verde County.

Quote:
Looks like our place is getting some rain now. I'm really not looking forward to a normal year out there!

Looks like some of that may have hit our lease. Good deal.

BTW, what do ya'll mean about an abnormal year?
SabreKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2017, 09:40 AM   #215
Txhuntr2
Six Point

Last year we had a tough time. With all the rain, the pastures were green going into the season and the deer were very well fed. Great, except that we weren't seeing the mature bucks we knew were there. Seemed like they weren't hungry enough to hit the feeders until late in the season. Our best cam pics showed up late December. Made for tough hunting and I'm hoping that it doesn't happen again the same way.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:44 AM   #216
brianlg31
Pope & Young

I said normal year. When it's dry and not knee deep grass. It's been raining ever since I got on my place. We've got one mud hole that I've only seen without standing water once. And the mud never did dry up before it rained again. Before this lease I hunted east Texas so I've never experienced a dry year out west.

Old 08-16-2017, 10:04 AM   #217
SabreKiller
Ten Point

Hunt In: I used to hunt in Culberson County, but now I hunt in Val Verde County.

The rain can make it tougher no doubt. It didn't seem to hurt us too much last year. Does were coming to the feeders and when the rut kicked in the bigger bucks started showing up. I just didn't see the one I'd been after for two years. I haven't seen him on camera, so I'm hoping he made it another year. He was 5.5-6.5 last year.

When I was out there two weekends ago it was very green. I saw a lot of deer while driving and filling feeders, but not many were actually coming to the feeders. I'd much rather have the grass and water than not. Makes for fatter/healthier deer.

It seemed like it rained/drizzled every weekend I hunted last season.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:07 AM   #218
Txhuntr2
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreKiller View Post
The rain can make it tougher no doubt. It didn't seem to hurt us too much last year. Does were coming to the feeders and when the rut kicked in the bigger bucks started showing up. I just didn't see the one I'd been after for two years. I haven't seen him on camera, so I'm hoping he made it another year. He was 5.5-6.5 last year.

When I was out there two weekends ago it was very green. I saw a lot of deer while driving and filling feeders, but not many were actually coming to the feeders. I'd much rather have the grass and water than not. Makes for fatter/healthier deer.

It seemed like it rained/drizzled every weekend I hunted last season.
Same here. We have a couple deep draws we hunt over where we can't get a box blind and I sat up there in the rain multiple times. Got so frustrated with it I bought a new stainless rifle and New rain gear for this year. And we hunt in pertnear west Texas! Hahaha
Old 08-16-2017, 10:32 AM   #219
SabreKiller
Ten Point

Our lease has a bunch of deep draws or canyons if you want to call them that. I can't sit at a feeder for much more than two hours. I get antsy. Having hunted mule deer in west Texas for about 30 years, spot and stalk has been my favorite method. I'll sit on the feeder until about 9 AM then I'm off glassing. Funny how I can glass a canyon for all day, but can't sit in a blind that long! LOL! I've got two stainless rifles, an A-bolt in .270 and a Remington 700 Ti in 7mm SAUM. The 700 is my go to gun when I get serious about it. I've got good rain gear, just didn't think I'd ever have to use it as much as I have the last 2 years in pertnear west Texas!
Old 08-16-2017, 10:37 AM   #220
SabreKiller
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jheflinland View Post
Here is one I'm thinking about putting on the chopping block and calling a cull this year. What do y'all say on age? 3 yrs worth of photos. No real good photos of him yet this year but I think I have enough to make the call.

Looks like hes 4.5 now. I'd consider him a cull. We have a butt load of those on our lease. Current rules only let you kill one mature and one cull. I usually wind up taking a cull/freak. I counted 6 spikes of varying lengths on my feeder at one sitting and a couple of freaks. I wound up taking this old spike out of the herd the last weekend of the season.

Name:  Spike.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  191.4 KB
Old 08-16-2017, 10:41 AM   #221
Txhuntr2
Six Point

That's a broom handle spike.

My new rifle is also a Remington 700. It's a suppressed 5r 300wm. I hope it gets a chance to get serious!
Old 08-16-2017, 10:53 AM   #222
SabreKiller
Ten Point

Awesome on the suppressed! I'm a supporter of the noise reduction act as well. Have one on my Bushmaster AR. I take it out there during the off season for whacking pigs and sheep. Like this nasty thing...

Name:  November sheep.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  148.4 KB
Old 08-16-2017, 10:55 AM   #223
F0WL_LIF3
Eight Point

Quote:
Awesome on the suppressed! I'm a supporter of the noise reduction act as well. Have one on my Bushmaster AR. I take it out there during the off season for whacking pigs and sheep. Like this nasty thing...

Attachment 868562
Man I wanna kill one like that! Need a mount!!!

Old 08-16-2017, 11:01 AM   #224
Txhuntr2
Six Point

That is a good looking sheep. I wish we had more of those running around. The only ones I've seen are the ragged Catalinas.

Most of my rifle hunting is done with a .308 ar that I run suppressed. I chose the Remington 5r bc it's threaded. Once I started hunting with the suppressor I hate not using it.
Old 08-16-2017, 01:12 PM   #225
Rodney Bauer
Four Point

Hunt In: Juno crossing Tx, Granada Ms, anywhere

The biggest two deer from our area came when we had water in river at camp. And they were not at feeders 182 & the one on my pic 145". Get on top of hills and watch the bottoms. My son shot his at 275 yards and 12 years old.
Rodney Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2017, 01:39 PM   #226
MySRT8U
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Boerne and anywhere else I can find

Just got on a lease in val verde. can't wait for this year!!
MySRT8U is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2017, 01:56 PM   #227
F0WL_LIF3
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MySRT8U View Post
Just got on a lease in val verde. can't wait for this year!!
Where at?!! Glad you joined this thread

Old 08-16-2017, 02:06 PM   #228
MySRT8U
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Boerne and anywhere else I can find

Quote:
Originally Posted by F0WL_LIF3 View Post
Where at?!! Glad you joined this thread

4000 acres outside del rio. Going out there next weekend to clear some roads and set up blinds. Place is absolutely LOADED with exotics.
MySRT8U is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2017, 02:15 PM   #229
F0WL_LIF3
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MySRT8U View Post
4000 acres outside del rio. Going out there next weekend to clear some roads and set up blinds. Place is absolutely LOADED with exotics.
D**n that's awesome!!

Old 08-16-2017, 05:30 PM   #230
SabreKiller
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney Bauer View Post
The biggest two deer from our area came when we had water in river at camp. And they were not at feeders 182 & the one on my pic 145". Get on top of hills and watch the bottoms. My son shot his at 275 yards and 12 years old.

^^^This is what I do. Rattling horns and glassing.
Old 08-16-2017, 06:27 PM   #231
brianlg31
Pope & Young

Did rattling work last year? I was really disappointed in the "lack" of what I expected for the rut.

Old 08-16-2017, 07:52 PM   #232
BlakeS
Four Point

Hunt In: East Texas

Me and FOWL_LIF3 got the trailer loaded up with bow blind platforms and feeder pens headed out Friday morning. Will see what we have on camera.

BlakeS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2017, 07:58 PM   #233
Txhuntr2
Six Point

Can't wait to see what's on camera!
Old 08-16-2017, 08:08 PM   #234
BlakeS
Four Point

Hunt In: East Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhuntr2 View Post
Can't wait to see what's on camera!

All your seeing is a bunch of does that's it.. well maybe a spike or a 4pt.

BlakeS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2017, 08:59 PM   #235
SabreKiller
Ten Point

Quote:
^^^This is what I do. Rattling horns and glassing.
The week after Thanksgiving was terrific.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:49 PM   #236
Txhuntr2
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeS View Post
All your seeing is a bunch of does that's it.. well maybe a spike or a 4pt.

Don't do me let me that! I promise I'll help fill feeders next trip. Hahahaha
Old 08-16-2017, 10:14 PM   #237
Txhuntr2
Six Point

Quote:
Did rattling work last year? I was really disappointed in the "lack" of what I expected for the rut.

I tried it a hand full of times with no success. But I chalk that up to the weird year. There were reports all over the place of it being a tough year due to acorns and other plentiful natural food. We just didn't see the deer that are usually seen there. We're just now checking cameras so I'm anxious to see how things are looking now.
Old 08-20-2017, 10:32 PM   #238
brianlg31
Pope & Young

Man I can't wait for Sept 30!! Killed a sow Saturday morning, then made all my bucks mad by changing the time on the corn feeder and protein feeder. Lol. Actually messed up the protein feeder, thought I set it for 6:45 but set it to 7:45. So they had cleaned the corn up and left by the time it went off. So got that all changed. At one point I had 12 bucks, and only one of those was a spike.

The kids we had with us killed a 4' rattler Friday night. Biggest we have seen on the place. They talked us into letting them skin it and eat it. They even fried it their selves. Great weekend!

Old 08-20-2017, 10:34 PM   #239
Txhuntr2
Six Point

Quote:
Man I can't wait for Sept 30!! Killed a sow Saturday morning, then made all my bucks mad by changing the time on the corn feeder and protein feeder. Lol. Actually messed up the protein feeder, thought I set it for 6:45 but set it to 7:45. So they had cleaned the corn up and left by the time it went off. So got that all changed. At one point I had 12 bucks, and only one of those was a spike.

The kids we had with us killed a 4' rattler Friday night. Biggest we have seen on the place. They talked us into letting them skin it and eat it. They even fried it their selves. Great weekend!

Looks like you and your family have a great season coming up!
Old 08-20-2017, 10:50 PM   #240
TP3
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hays, Val Verde co

Looking good Brian. Looks like they are really responding to that timed protein feeder.

Going to be some fun all day sits this season.
TP3 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-20-2017, 11:01 PM   #241
Txhuntr2
Six Point

Is it a krivoman timed protein feeder?
Old 08-20-2017, 11:26 PM   #242
brianlg31
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhuntr2 View Post
Is it a krivoman timed protein feeder?
Its a homemade one using The Hammer timer. Which I believe is the same timer that is on the Krivoman feeders.
Old 08-20-2017, 11:39 PM   #243
F0WL_LIF3
Eight Point

We just got back today from the lease! Got feeders filled, blind moved, all around did some work and now the waiting game begins!

Can't wait to sling an arrow come October.

A few camera pics. Idk why but for 2 solid weeks I had nothing on camera prior to Friday.
Also, something broke my protein tube completely off. Broke it off the welds. Camera was to far to catch anything moving so missed out on pics

Old 08-21-2017, 09:43 AM   #244
SabreKiller
Ten Point

Default Too bad...

your camera didn't catch whatever it was that knocked the feeder spout off. I had the same thing happen. Lease members went out to fill feeders and found mine on the ground and my camera stand torn up. They put the camera back in the cabin and fixed the feeder to get it working. I thought no big deal,I'll look at the pics next time I go. Yeah. The camera went dead 3 weeks before they went out to fill so no pics.

Mine was staked down real good too. I'm thinking a bear or pigs or the only mule on the place tore it up.

I'm hot to go back! I just got m bow all tuned up and ready to go. What kind of blind are you hunting from? Ground blind?
Old 08-21-2017, 10:25 AM   #245
F0WL_LIF3
Eight Point

Quote:
your camera didn't catch whatever it was that knocked the feeder spout off. I had the same thing happen. Lease members went out to fill feeders and found mine on the ground and my camera stand torn up. They put the camera back in the cabin and fixed the feeder to get it working. I thought no big deal,I'll look at the pics next time I go. Yeah. The camera went dead 3 weeks before they went out to fill so no pics.

Mine was staked down real good too. I'm thinking a bear or pigs or the only mule on the place tore it up.

I'm hot to go back! I just got m bow all tuned up and ready to go. What kind of blind are you hunting from? Ground blind?
Man no my camera took pics but never took one of anything there. I have about 50 pics and they show it attached, then off and then show it moved all around but never took a pic of any animals except the dove. My guess is it was to far to see anything. Sh*t IDK.
Camera wasn't messed with. I had it rigged and took a pic of it and it was in the exact same set up.

It was either a mule or hot that grabbed it and ripped it off.

Old 08-21-2017, 10:26 AM   #246
F0WL_LIF3
Eight Point

I'll be in a pop up placed on a platform.
These are the platforms. One is mine and the other is BlakeS

Old 08-21-2017, 10:27 AM   #247
Txhuntr2
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by F0WL_LIF3 View Post
Man no my camera took pics but never took one of anything there. I have about 50 pics and they show it attached, then off and then show it moved all around but never took a pic of any animals except the dove. My guess is it was to far to see anything. Sh*t IDK.
Camera wasn't messed with. I had it rigged and took a pic of it and it was in the exact same set up.

It was either a mule or hot that grabbed it and ripped it off.

There were feral horses on our Pasture not too long ago. Maybe you have some of those Messing with it.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:29 AM   #248
F0WL_LIF3
Eight Point

It'll be a dead horse if he gets caught lol

Old 08-21-2017, 10:42 AM   #249
SabreKiller
Ten Point

Default Unfortunately for me....

that mule ain't going anywhere, but I've never seen him up top where my blind is. I'm thinking hogs or bear. I took a new camera and stand-n-fill feeder out last time so we shall see.

I like that platform idea. I was thinking about getting a popup for this year, but I don't bow hunt much anymore. That's about to change though.

I may have to move my tripod a little closer.
Old 08-23-2017, 10:51 AM   #250
Txhuntr2
Six Point

Anyone dove hunting opening weekend? I'm really hoping the cool front will get them flying. Just hope it's not as wet as last year. Standing water everywhere had the birds scattered on our place.