Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 12-07-2017, 07:52 AM   #101
LivinADream
Ten Point

Hunt In: Winnie, Piqua KS

i haven't read all of the replys so this may have been said already, if so I apologize.

do yourself a favor and do a little research on tuning your bow. the reason you couldn't get fixed heads to fly with field points is a tuning issue. (meaning your arrow isn't flying "straight") sure it might hit where you're aiming, but its not hitting straight. this has a lot to do with your penetration issues. add an expandable to the equation, and it is magnifying the penetration issue. I have little doubt that your set-up with a good fixed head would have broke that bone, ive seen it, hell ive done it on a mature Kansas buck. my set up is 62lbs at 27.5" draw. a fixed head is going to penetrate better than an expandable, but that doesn't mean you need to be shooting a fixed head. you just need to get a better tune on your bow. I think this will fix your problem. arrows that fly like darts will always penetrate better.
LivinADream is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 08:03 AM   #102
6.5 shooter
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd350 View Post
Really? I had a great experience with their customer service, they even helped me out when they didnít need to
Iím glad it worked out for you.
6.5 shooter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 10:04 AM   #103
Justin Spies
Eight Point

Hunt In: East Tx, Kansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivinADream View Post
i haven't read all of the replys so this may have been said already, if so I apologize.

do yourself a favor and do a little research on tuning your bow. the reason you couldn't get fixed heads to fly with field points is a tuning issue. (meaning your arrow isn't flying "straight") sure it might hit where you're aiming, but its not hitting straight. this has a lot to do with your penetration issues. add an expandable to the equation, and it is magnifying the penetration issue. I have little doubt that your set-up with a good fixed head would have broke that bone, ive seen it, hell ive done it on a mature Kansas buck. my set up is 62lbs at 27.5" draw. a fixed head is going to penetrate better than an expandable, but that doesn't mean you need to be shooting a fixed head. you just need to get a better tune on your bow. I think this will fix your problem. arrows that fly like darts will always penetrate better.
Can you "tune" a bow without a bow press?
Justin Spies is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 10:24 AM   #104
LivinADream
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Spies View Post
Can you "tune" a bow without a bow press?
Absolutely. Look on YouTube, there are lots of good videos.
I'm no guru, and I guess there could be some cases where you would need a press, but I've never run into one. I have only tuned about 5 bows, and all of them were different it seems. But end result is the same.
Just this year my my broadheads we're about 4" right and low at 20 yards to about 8" at 40 yards. It took me a few days but with some time and tinkering it's lights out field tips/broadheads out to 60 yards. (That's as far as I shoot). Before tuning, my field tips we're dead on out to 60. Without knowing any better, you would have thought it was tuned.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Old 12-07-2017, 10:25 AM   #105
Justin Spies
Eight Point

Quote:
Absolutely. Look on YouTube, there are lots of good videos.
I'm no guru, and I guess there could be some cases where you would need a press, but I've never run into one. I have only tuned about 5 bows, and all of them were different it seems. But end result is the same.
Just this year my my broadheads we're about 4" right and low at 20 yards to about 8" at 40 yards. It took me a few days but with some time and tinkering it's lights out field tips/broadheads out to 60 yards. (That's as far as I shoot). Before tuning, my field tips we're dead on out to 60. Without knowing any better, you would have thought it was tuned.

Do you paper tune? Or is it beyond that?
Old 12-07-2017, 10:33 AM   #106
LivinADream
Ten Point

Quote:
At risk of being run off the site, I generally go to archery talk to find specific tuning instructions for the bow I am dealing with at the time. I can normally find a few very detailed threads from knocking point, centershot, rest position, even cable slide position. This gives me a very close to tune bow, then it normally comes down to very minute adjustments to the rest from there.

Old 12-07-2017, 01:27 PM   #107
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

Quote:
At risk of being run off the site, I generally go to archery talk to find specific tuning instructions for the bow I am dealing with at the time. I can normally find a few very detailed threads from knocking point, centershot, rest position, even cable slide position. This gives me a very close to tune bow, then it normally comes down to very minute adjustments to the rest from there.

Archery talk?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 01:31 PM   #108
LivinADream
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
Archery talk?

Old 12-08-2017, 10:00 PM   #109
Hoyt125
Nubbin' Buck

I believe that when it comes to a broadheads conversation it truly is just a personal preference. I've done so much research, reading, watching videos and i still haven't been able to decide on broadhead to try first that I like and feel like will do what I'm wanting.
Hoyt125 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2017, 10:08 PM   #110
Hoyt125
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslinger View Post
Not only nope, but ### no! Been there ad done that and will not go back!
Good to know, just now getting in to bow hunting finally. I just made a reccomendation because it's one I seen and did little research, I'm still undecided on what broadhead I want to start with for next year first bow hunt
Old 12-08-2017, 10:10 PM   #111
Hoyt125
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastAndBlast View Post
Lol...nothing like adding a parachute behind your broadhead...physics is a *****

Do yíall not realize that the OP is trying to increase penetration?
Good to know, just now getting in to bow hunting finally. I just made a reccomendation because it's one I seen and did little research, I'm still undecided on what broadhead I want to start with for next year first bow hunt
Old 12-08-2017, 10:22 PM   #112
Ksbowhunter
Eight Point

Hunt In: SE Kansas / deep east tx

It does not matter which head you hit a Midwest brute in the shoulder with. I can tell you this from more than 4 self experiences.

Fixed blade is your best bet. The smaller width of the head to me is better for penetration. Cut on contact is a must. 440+ total grains of arrow will also help.

I like the viper tricks on the front of a 450 total grain arrow.
Ksbowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2017, 11:31 PM   #113
TICK MAGNET
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodstick View Post
I assume he is speaking of 29.5 draw length but only 28" shaft.

I use the Slick Trick standard and want to try the Slick Trick Magnums
The Standard has not failed me. Punched through two hogs at the same time killing both in less than 30 yards each and great blood. Slick Tricks punch a good hole, not just a slice like 2 blade heads do.
Try and tinker with your setup a bit. There may be something you can do to get the ST to fly better at longer ranges. Mine fly great out to 40, as that is the absolute furthest i will shoot at any game. Most shots are within 20, so they work great for me.

I just made the switch this year. You will love the Magnums!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TICK MAGNET is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-09-2017, 12:04 AM   #114
CastAndBlast
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Liberty Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyt125 View Post

Welcome to the sport! A ton of us are willing to help with any info you need. Use our failures and real world testing so you donít have to learn the hard way like some of us did
CastAndBlast is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-09-2017, 01:12 AM   #115
Jeremy7306
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Whitney, Anywhere I can find
Default Thinking About Coming off the Rage, What head?

Iíve had ramcats in my quiver for 2 years now. Hadnít shot anything with them, but the other day while hunting I knocked an arrow and 1 blade was bent! Those heads have been no where but my quiver, and were not bent just weeks before. I took them off, and put slick trick mags back on. Next season Iíll be deciding if I want to stick with the slick tricks or try another head. Iíve been looking at the exodus, thunderheads and good ole muzzy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeremy7306 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-09-2017, 01:29 AM   #116
Mr Sid
Six Point

Quote:

I like a good broadhead topic, like antler restrictions and black panthers
My thoughts on tuning - paper tuning in archery is what bore sighting is to a rifle. Itís only part of the process. Thereís bare shaft, walk back, broadhead tuning. When tuned the bow should shoot a fixed head well.

Mr Sid
Mr Sid is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-09-2017, 11:01 PM   #117
Hoyt125
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastAndBlast View Post
Welcome to the sport! A ton of us are willing to help with any info you need. Use our failures and real world testing so you donít have to learn the hard way like some of us did
Thank you very much! I'm excited to have joined the bow hunting community! And thank you very much for the advice offer, will definitely need it at some point lol, still lots of learning in my future
Old Yesterday, 12:13 AM   #118
JANKEII
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Gatesville

X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by xman59 View Post
nothing beats the magnus stinger for long range accuracy, and offers the best penetration at all ranges

but for the wider cut i suggest the black hornet, i have shot them out to 100 yards also
JANKEII is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 09:10 AM   #119
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

When you hit bone thereís not much if anything that will do any better.

Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 09:34 AM   #120
iamntxhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: North Texas

Not being an ace when I say this but I don't u,understand chasing broadheads or switching every time a bad shot was made.
I have shot thunderheads for the last 15 plus years and they have served me well. If I made a bad shot I wouldn't blame or change because of that and if the ones you use have also I would stick with them.
Just my .02 cents.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
iamntxhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 10:21 AM   #121
Justin Spies
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamntxhunter View Post
Not being an ace when I say this but I don't u,understand chasing broadheads or switching every time a bad shot was made.
I have shot thunderheads for the last 15 plus years and they have served me well. If I made a bad shot I wouldn't blame or change because of that and if the ones you use have also I would stick with them.
Just my .02 cents.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
If you read the entire post, you should understand I took credit for my shot. I would not be afraid to shoot a deer with a Rage again tomorrow. It just got me to considering maybe I should consider something that can penetrate better especially when I'm shooting big mid west deer.
Old Yesterday, 01:13 PM   #122
TxAg
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
When you hit bone thereís not much if anything that will do any better.

Iíll have to disagree with this statement. Have you read the Ashby studies?
TxAg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 02:03 PM   #123
rocky
Pope & Young

Quote:
If you read the entire post, you should understand I took credit for my shot. I would not be afraid to shoot a deer with a Rage again tomorrow. It just got me to considering maybe I should consider something that can penetrate better especially when I'm shooting big mid west deer.
The vitals of a big Midwest deer are in the same spot as any other deer, and the chest cavity is only about 4" thicker, and just as soft.
Shot placement trumps head design and arrow weight.
rocky is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 10:24 PM   #124
Justin Spies
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky View Post
The vitals of a big Midwest deer are in the same spot as any other deer, and the chest cavity is only about 4" thicker, and just as soft.
Shot placement trumps head design and arrow weight.
You're right! I must have forgot it's not possible to miss your mark by a few inches when shooting at a big buck. We should all just shoot field points!!