Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 10-24-2017, 07:42 PM   #1
Michael
Administrator

Hunt In: Webb, LaSalle, Lavaca
Default Canning Meat (Venison). My Impressions

I've been intrigued by the idea of canning meat, and particularly venison, for various reasons. Primarily, even with three refrigerator/freezer combos and a chest freezer, I find myself running out of freezer space fairly quickly. Additionally, there are cuts of venison that I typically save to grind for sausage, but some of the cuts (particularly shoulders) I keep for slow cooker stews, chili or tacos. There are also times that we want a quick meal that is often delayed by having to simply thaw meat in order to prepare. We were also without power for 36 hours during Harvey. Fortunately, I was able to use my Yamaha generator to cycle our various freezers, but it also convinced me that I needed a longish-term solution for extended food storage in the event of emergencies. While I'm no zombie apocalypse "prepper", I do think it prudent to be able to survive a catastrophe - whether natural or man made - for a reasonable period of time.

After I shot my Lavaca County buck earlier this month, I decided to purchase a pressure canner (as much as I wanted an All American canner, I opted for the 23 qt Presto at 1/4 the price) and can some of the meat. I used the shoulders and neck meat from that buck (in addition to some top round cuts that had been in my freezer for about a year from other deer) and canned a dozen pint jars (plus about half a quart that I had left over.) For my first attempt, I wanted to do a basic "canning", with just meat and a half teaspoon of salt for flavor. I cubed the meat, placed in the jars (with about 1" headspace), added a half teaspoon of kosher salt, and pressure canned them at about 11-12 lbs. for 75 minutes.

The result looked pretty disgusting, to be honest. But I let them cool and put them in a cabinet for a couple of weeks.

Today I decided to give it a taste. I researched a few recipes for stroganoff and decided to cook it tonight for dinner (all my girls are gone, so it's just the wife and me!) While I was preparing the noodles and the base of the stroganoff, we sampled the meat strait out of the jar. Surprisingly, it was fairly good! It was a little dry, but VERY tender and flavorful. Once the rest of the stroganoff recipe was done, I added the meat and heated it through. We ate it over wide egg noodes with some garlic toast and it was FANTASTIC! Good flavor. Tender. Rather than having to cook for a couple of hours to tenderize the meat, I was able to put the whole thing together in about 30 minutes!

Honestly, I'm pleasantly surprised at how good it was! While I anticipated that it would be "edible" (in a pinch), I wouldn't hesitate to cook this again for company or use canned venison for another meal like tacos, enchiladas, nachos, carne guisada or anything else that would normally call for braised meat cooked for an extended period. Heck, I'd eat it straight out of the jar with crackers, on a sandwich, a baked potato or any number of combinations just for a quick snack!

I'm going to can some chicken and pork (wild and domestic) and play around with canning some full recipes (chili, carne guisada, pulled pork in bbq, etc.) for a quick meal at home during the day or while camping, hunting or kayaking!

I know several folks here can meat. If you're on the fence, give it a try. I'd love to see other recipes that you use with canned meat. I'll post up more as I continue to experiment!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-24-2017, 07:43 PM   #2
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Scheicher Co., TX.

My pawpaw always canned venison and pork. He said that was his all time favorite way to eat it
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-24-2017, 07:44 PM   #3
Ricky T
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Trinity Riverbottom

Good info.
Ricky T is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-24-2017, 07:49 PM   #4
zztex
Pope & Young

Sounds great Micheal! I need to try that
zztex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-24-2017, 07:51 PM   #5
NF HUNTER
Ten Point

Hunt In: SHNF

I always wanted to do that, Sounds delicious!
NF HUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-24-2017, 07:52 PM   #6
Dry Bones
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas, Whatever comes available

We now can A LOT of venison. My wife got interested a couple seasons back after we had spent most of a day trying to grind (hand grinder for us) some really tough cuts. Lots of prep work and then even more work in getting it ground. SO, she used her grandmothers canner and... We now can everything that is not roast or steak meat. No special secret. Just meat in the jar, leave the required space and add it to Lots of different dishes.
-For those on the go. Open a can of meat and add to whatever pasta or rice. Quick easy meal.
Dry Bones is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-24-2017, 07:56 PM   #7
DavidH44
Eight Point

Hunt In: Public Land

That's interesting, thanks for the info
DavidH44 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-24-2017, 07:59 PM   #8
Michaela
Four Point

I can't tell if I'm scared or excited to try it this weekend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Michaela is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-24-2017, 08:00 PM   #9
skooter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Canadian & McIntosh Co OK

We elk hunted with a guy from Michigan this year. Around the fire one night, we were talking different ways of putting up meat and he mentioned that they canned a lot of theirs. Definitely something I want to try. We have canned salsa before and his year the wife did some apples.

skooter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-24-2017, 08:04 PM   #10
bobc
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bell County, New Mexico

My pops has stocked up on it. Itís really hard to beat. Easy to heat up and do a lot of things with. Donít have a pressure cooker yet, so I just grab theirs

bobc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-24-2017, 08:07 PM   #11
Boss Buck
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Stephen Co.

Guess what everyone getting for Christmas? Iím hacking on ya. My grandma can a bunch of stuff when we were on the farm.. Man I miss them days..
Boss Buck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-24-2017, 08:09 PM   #12
RodinaRanč
Eight Point

Hunt In: Bastrop & Mason Cty

Clients in MN/WI can the majority of their deer. It's fair, especially cajun flavor. Just don't ever try duck, goose, or bear....it's absolutely terrible!
RodinaRanč is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-24-2017, 08:14 PM   #13
sharkhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Looking for a place

I started canning last year but have not started canning meat yet. You've renewed my interest in doing it.
sharkhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-24-2017, 08:16 PM   #14
Mayhem
Pope & Young

Hunt In: crockett, county

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaela View Post

Iím with you Michaela, the idea of canned meat just doesnít do much for me.

Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-24-2017, 08:19 PM   #15
Michael
Administrator

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaft_slinger00 View Post
Iím with you Michaela, the idea of canned meat just doesnít do much for me.

I took some down to South Padre with me last weekend and was nervous to try it. I can tell you that I won't hesitate to cook with it, especially when camping, hunting or in need of a quick meal. It wasn't just "acceptable", it was actually quite tasty.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-24-2017, 08:22 PM   #16
Michaela
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
I took some down to South Padre with me last weekend and was nervous to try it. I can tell you that I won't hesitate to cook with it, especially when camping, hunting or in need of a quick meal. It wasn't just "acceptable", it was actually quite tasty.

If daddy's says it's good though... it's probably good!

He hasn't steered me wrong yet.

Old 10-24-2017, 08:23 PM   #17
Dry Bones
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas, Whatever comes available

We take canned meat when we camp and can enjoy solid meals most every night out. BTW, Canned Duck can be good, REALLY good. All depends on the chef.
Dry Bones is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-24-2017, 08:26 PM   #18
JSBrit
Six Point

Hunt In: Burnet

I need to try this also
JSBrit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-24-2017, 08:29 PM   #19
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

Quote:
If daddy's says it's good though... it's probably good!

He hasn't steered me wrong yet.

Don't be kissing up now..
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-24-2017, 08:37 PM   #20
bboswell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
Don't be kissing up now..

You saw that brown on her nose did ya?
bboswell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-24-2017, 08:56 PM   #21
breese
Eight Point

Hunt In: Sonora,Colorado,Arizona, New Mexico

Thanks for the post on this. I have been on the fence about this. I will give it a shot.
Does anyone put in other seasonings besides salt?
breese is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-24-2017, 09:05 PM   #22
Michael
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by breese View Post
Thanks for the post on this. I have been on the fence about this. I will give it a shot.
Does anyone put in other seasonings besides salt?
I've contemplated adding additional seasoning, and I may make a few mostly "finished" recipes (chili, carne guisada, etc.") but I mostly want to have an ingredient that I can put in various recipes and season as I go. I guess it depends on how you prefer to utilize the ingredient.

Old 10-24-2017, 09:11 PM   #23
Mary
Administrator

Well...now I am disappointed I didn't taste. Bring some to the next lease weekend and I promise to not make a face
Mary is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-24-2017, 09:26 PM   #24
WCB
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise/Montague/Grayson

This has been on my mind for a while. Might start small and see how it goes...
WCB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-24-2017, 09:35 PM   #25
Michaela
Four Point

[quote=bboswell;12855483]You saw that brown on her nose did ya? [/

Who? Me, never!

Old 10-24-2017, 09:39 PM   #26
bboswell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

[quote=Michaela;12855768]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bboswell View Post
You saw that brown on her nose did ya? [/

Who? Me, never!

No use denying girl, it happens
bboswell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-24-2017, 09:55 PM   #27
Mohawkman
Six Point

Hunt In: Navarro County, And CO.

Chili works well. I have done cold piack stew meat. If you do burger brown it first. My favorites are breakfast sausage patties and roast in brown gravy.
Mohawkman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-24-2017, 09:55 PM   #28
BTLowry
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Behind the house and public in Texas; Kansas Unit 5

I have heard of canning meat for years

Lady that comes in where my wife works was there one day and mentioned that they can moose.
Offered me some and brought it by and gave to the wife, I was hesitant but it was pretty dang good.
She suggested and we followed her advice, poured over a baked potato and it was delicious
BTLowry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-24-2017, 10:05 PM   #29
Michael
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohawkman View Post
Chili works well. I have done cold piack stew meat. If you do burger brown it first. My favorites are breakfast sausage patties and roast in brown gravy.
I want to can finished chili, as well as ground meat and sausage. I'm liking the possibilities!

Old 10-24-2017, 10:08 PM   #30
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

My mamma used to make smother-fried venison and gravy and can it... It was a staple for camp dinners for us for years... My wife and I really enjoyed doing the vegetable canning and pickles this past spring/summer. We talked about canning venison too... I'm thinking on getting a pressure canner too so that we can speed up the process... I know it's good groceries, it's just the time it takes to do the canning that has always made me so hesitant about doing it.

Great thread Michael. Thanks for sharing... and your threads without pics... well that just ain't gonna cut it! If the pic rule applies to us minions, it should apply to you too!
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-24-2017, 10:11 PM   #31
Michael
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
My mamma used to make smother-fried venison and gravy and can it... It was a staple for camp dinners for us for years... My wife and I really enjoyed doing the vegetable canning and pickles this past spring/summer. We talked about canning venison too... I'm thinking on getting a pressure canner too so that we can speed up the process... I know it's good groceries, it's just the time it takes to do the canning that has always made me so hesitant about doing it.

Great thread Michael. Thanks for sharing... and your threads without pics... well that just ain't gonna cut it! If the pic rule applies to us minions, it should apply to you too!
Point taken! I meant to document the whole process and just didn't! I may can some this weekend and document with photos and video.

Old 10-24-2017, 10:31 PM   #32
SoTXAg06
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lavaca Co. TX, Arkansas

My grandma used to can all kind of fruits and vegetables. I can't remember her ever canning meat. Sounds pretty interesting. We pickle a lot, but don't pressure can. Something we have been wanting to try though.

SoTXAg06 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-24-2017, 10:35 PM   #33
Dewey Johnson
Four Point

Hunt In: East tx and Oklahoma

Sounds like I need to try this
Dewey Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-24-2017, 10:41 PM   #34
Radar
Eight Point

Quote:
I want to can finished chili, as well as ground meat and sausage. I'm liking the possibilities!
That was what I was wondering, could you actually can chili or season the meat and retain flavor?
When I was a kid, the family would get together and butcher two hogs in the fall.
Sausage was made into balls,fried and placed inside Mason jars. Rendered hog lard would be poured into the jars to seal off the air from the sausage. Cheese cloth would be placed over the top of the jar and held there by a piece of twine.
True story and this was back in the early 60's and no one had ever heard of cholesterol.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2017, 09:01 AM   #35
Michael
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
That was what I was wondering, could you actually can chili or season the meat and retain flavor?
When I was a kid, the family would get together and butcher two hogs in the fall.
Sausage was made into balls,fried and placed inside Mason jars. Rendered hog lard would be poured into the jars to seal off the air from the sausage. Cheese cloth would be placed over the top of the jar and held there by a piece of twine.
True story and this was back in the early 60's and no one had ever heard of cholesterol.
I haven't done it, yet, but I've seen YT vids of canning chili, ground and seasoned meat. I imagine it would work fine.

Old 10-25-2017, 10:00 AM   #36
HCON3
Four Point

Started canning venison 3yrs ago and finally just added a Beef Bouillon cube to each jar with no water just packed cubed meat with head space and pressure at 10 lbs for 90min. Tried ground venison but it turned out like a miniature medicine ball so won't try that again. Try it you won't regret it.
HCON3 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2017, 10:26 AM   #37
Rat
Ten Point

I do it exactly as you do it Michael, just meat and a little salt, sometimes I throw a couple of jalapenos in as well.

I use it just how you described, to make other recipes that would require longer cook times if done all at once.

I've tried a few recipes, like Mongolian beef, but really just using the meat and adding the spices is just as fast as you are really just heating it up and adding the spices.
Rat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2017, 10:35 AM   #38
blntrey3
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Val Verde County, Loma Alta

Forgive my Ignorance but do you cook it before Canning or just raw? If just raw how do you cook after?
blntrey3 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2017, 10:44 AM   #39
Michael
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blntrey3 View Post
Forgive my Ignorance but do you cook it before Canning or just raw? If just raw how do you cook after?
You can do either. I just did what is called raw pack - just cubes of raw meat in the jar with an optional half teaspoon of salt. Technically, the meat cooks in the jar. It is essentially braised in it's own juices at a higher boiling point (240-260 degrees) created from the pressure cooker (canner). After 75 minutes at 240+ degrees, the meat is fully cooked when it is finished.

Some people brown the meat first, or cook a whole recipe before canning, but it's not necessary.

Old 10-25-2017, 11:12 AM   #40
rladner
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

**** it, now I have to buy a canner. Thanks Michael
rladner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2017, 11:23 AM   #41
denimdeerslayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Waller

Sounds like we may need samples at the next Nanza.
denimdeerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2017, 11:37 AM   #42
Mayhem
Pope & Young

Hunt In: crockett, county

All I can think of is potted meat and spam.

Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2017, 03:02 PM   #43
Michael
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaft_slinger00 View Post
All I can think of is potted meat and spam.

Completely different. Think slow cooked stew meat that holds its shape but shreds easily.

I had leftover stroganoff for lunch. I may open another jar and use it for another recipe this evening.

Old 10-25-2017, 03:21 PM   #44
JonBoy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mason, TX; Doss, TX

It looks like dog food in a jar but like you said it is fantastic. I can a lot of my leftovers just before season starts. It's shelf stable and if/when the power goes out you don't have to worry about it spoiling and you have a meal ready to eat.
JonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2017, 03:39 PM   #45
aggie2000tx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Stonewall County

My uncle cans venison all the time and it is great.
aggie2000tx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 09:53 AM   #46
breese
Eight Point

Hunt In: Sonora,Colorado,Arizona, New Mexico

Well... I tool the plunge and canned some venison.
At this point all I can say is, I hope it tastes better than it looks. LOL
breese is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 10:09 AM   #47
hammer63
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kinney Co.TX

Quote:
I've contemplated adding additional seasoning, and I may make a few mostly "finished" recipes (chili, carne guisada, etc.") but I mostly want to have an ingredient that I can put in various recipes and season as I go. I guess it depends on how you prefer to utilize the ingredient.
Instead of salt, we use one beef bullion cube in each quart jar for "seasoning". Place it right on top of the meat in the jar. Works great.
hammer63 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 11:19 AM   #48
glen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

1 beef bullion cube and 2 fresh Thai chilis or serano peppers is what I use. Only problem I have is telling the kids not to open it for a about 2 months to get the flavor good. I found if I open them quick it is good but wait a few months and it is great. Goes for tuna as well.
glen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 11:22 AM   #49
Six Point

Default Canning Meat (Venison). My Impressions

I just got into it as well and canned my first batch last weekend. How detailed are you guys with trimming the raw meat? I trimmed like crazy, and I want to maybe trim a little less next time if possible. The finished product is very good, I just poured the canned meat and juice in a pan, and added a little flour, cornstarch, and milk to thicken it up into gravy:

Last edited by 686; 12-07-2017 at 11:25 AM..
686 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 12:09 PM   #50
hammer63
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kinney Co.TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 686 View Post
I just got into it as well and canned my first batch last weekend. How detailed are you guys with trimming the raw meat? I trimmed like crazy, and I want to maybe trim a little less next time if possible. The finished product is very good, I just poured the canned meat and juice in a pan, and added a little flour, cornstarch, and milk to thicken it up into gravy:

Done right!
hammer63 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top