Water Heater Thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water Heater Thoughts?

Basic info: We have two water heaters (I’m guessing, from memory, that they are each 50 gallon), plumbed side-by-side (first sends hot water to second; second feeds house). They are almost 19 years old. House is about 3,800 sq.ft.
    My son and daughter were both home recently and for some strange reason, we all ended up taking showers one morning (no - not together, you pervert). My 18 year old daughter takes loooooong showers. My son later complains that he ran out of hot water (showering after her).
    I shrug it off as some kind of mistake because there is no way we’d run out of hot water if we each took a thirty-minute long shower.
    However, I recently noticed a (double) breaker in my breaker box thrown. As soon as I reset it, it would trip again. It was labeled ‘water heater’ (and lo and behold, it was actually labeled correctly!)
    My googling indicates a few possibilities: (1) wiring issue (we occasionally have mice chew stuff); (2) thermostat issue; or (3) element issue (element housing damaged so that water gets in). BTW, there is a small amount of water on top of the bad water heater, and it is scaley like water has been regularly pooling up there.
    I unplugged the water heater from the outlet and reset the breaker – it stayed on. No more tripping. That told me that there probably wasn’t a wiring problem between the plug and breaker box.
    That leaves me with potentially thermostat or element issues.
    My main question now is: Is it worth even testing those to see if they need replacing. For one thing, we are basically empty nesters and don’t currently need the capacity of the second water heater. For another, the frickin thing is 19 years old (as is the other one).
    Should we just wait until the other goes out, too?
    What would you do or what do you recommend?

Pull the elements in the heater that tripped, if you have sediment it'll burn the bottom element. $40 for an element that will last you another several years.

Comment

If they are 19 years old, you have long since gotten your money's worth. Most of them are only warranted for ten. Replace them both and sleep well.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
        If they are 19 years old, you have long since gotten your money's worth. Most of them are only warranted for ten. Replace them both and sleep well.
        Read more for hot water heater prices and compare average labor costs for gas vs. electric, tank-style vs. tankless, direct vent vs. power vent, and more.

Cost is a nail biter but definitely worth it

Comment

This. They are going to crap out and you'll have water everywhere. You have gotten your money's worth out of them.

Comment

Two elements for under 20 bucks is what you need. I replace mine every year and ship vac out my water heater. Our water is horrible. I also just installed a hot water doubler that adds in cold water with the hot outlet to extend the amount of hot water. It has worked wonders.

Comment

yup

Comment

Get rid of the dinosaurs and get you a on demand water heater. My SIL has one in her house and when my wife and I go visit we can shower us two, SIL and her husband and their two kids if the are around and still have hot water. She has a large home like you do and it gets hot water all over the house with no issues. She says she loves the thing and I'll be getting on whenever my HWH goes out. I know they cost more up front but I like the concept

Comment

my wife thinks i'm lying when i tell her i can literally find any answer i need on TBH

Comment

At 19 years you are on borrowed time. Surprised they aren't leaking. Replace both before you have bigger problems.

Comment

I put in a tankless water heater when redoing my house after Harvey flood. So far it has Been great, we do not run out of hot water at all.

Comment

Working...
                      X