Osage Oranges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Osage Oranges

Hedge Apples, Horse Apples, bodarks....whatever you call them. Does anyone collect them around their neighborhood and have any luck dumping them out at the lease to attract deer or hogs?

Saw a bunch at the "H" last year. Squirrels were eating the heck out of them. Some of the fatest squirrels I have seen.

Comment

Never seen a deer eat one, squirrels sure do tear them apart, I know some old czechs would put them under the house, supposed to keep insects/spiders away.

Comment

I've done it , hogs love em and deer also! But it is funny they will be sketchy at first!

Comment

Mashed up they make a good cover scent around the blind. Taste terrible tho.

Comment

I have a ton of hogs on my place and lots of Horse Apple trees... Ive never seen an animal interested in them.

Comment

I also have these on my property and they lay on the ground till they rot squirrels, hogs, rats nothing will eat them seems weird to me. Would love to hear from someone who knows more about them.

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
                Never seen a deer eat one, squirrels sure do tear them apart, I know some old czechs would put them under the house, supposed to keep insects/spiders away.
                Squirrels tear them up to get to the seeds in the middle. I have never seen anything else eat them. I have also heard about putting them in the attic to keep roaches and other bugs away. I have done that but don't know how it worked.
                They make good fence posts. Burn too fast to make a good fire.

Comment

Never seen an animal eat them. But cut in half and tossed under a house will deter some insects and snakes

Comment

Native Americans liked to use the wood from them for bow making.

I have read a theory that Osage oranges used to be eaten by the now extinct ground sloth which would disperse the seeds.

Comment

I used to put them in my horse feed barrel to keep the fire ants out.
                      Of course my horses and mules loved them as well as the turning leaves as high up as they could reach. Once the horses starting eating them the flies and mosquitoes stopped bothering them as much. Horse apples have some nasty sticky white sap in them.

Comment

I have never seen ANYTHING eat them.....so that being said we should export them to China.

Comment

Just saw a basket of them in a North Dakota store for sale .98 cents apiece, I may have found my retirement money since I have a boat load of them at the house.

Comment

We have more bois d'arc tress than anywhere in the world. At least, it feels like it. For the nine million horse apples that fall on our place each year, I might see five that have been chewed up by squirrels. There might be more, but I've never really seen anything that enjoy them.

Comment

most times driving around that i see deer...they are standing under an osage tree. they dont touch the apples much but sure do love to browse on their leaves. check the low hanging branches on them and i bet they are bare.

Comment

Working...
                              X