DIY Termite treatment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY Termite treatment

Anyone ever done it? I got a quote of 900$. Looks like I can buy enough Termidor for 350$ or so. I was gonna shoot some foam into the walls around the sink and drill the slab, driveway and trench around the foundation. Looks like a pretty big PITA but 900$ is quite a bit of money.

Originally posted by thegrouse View Post
    Anyone ever done it? I got a quote of 900$. Looks like I can buy enough Termidor for 350$ or so. I was gonna shoot some foam into the walls around the sink and drill the slab, driveway and trench around the foundation. Looks like a pretty big PITA but 900$ is quite a bit of money.

Pay it and let the professionals do it. Take it for what it worth coming from a guy that doesn't do much handy work lol.

Comment

I got a quote last week for $2,100 for my house.
      So I'm looking to do my own also.

Comment

Well I watched some videos last night. Think I can trench the exterior, drill the concrete slab, driveway and walkway in a day. Should be able to do the sink areas in an hour or so. Any other areas that need to be done?

Comment

I say do it. I have called around and got quotes from $700 - $2800. Amazing what the difference is. I had the one guy that quoted $950 do the job and after watching him it really wasn't that hard. Of course this was a slab pretreatment for new construction.

Comment

Any penetrations in the slap need to be drilled and treated ( water , sewer , shower , a/c lines ) If a slab has been added at any time ( porch , new addition , ) both slabs need to be drilled and treated on the side where they join together . And of coarse , continuous trench around exterior of slab . One thing about having a professional do it is you get a warranty in case of a reinfestation . Do it yourself and the repairs/treatment is on you . Termites can do a tremendous amount of damage .

Comment

I did my own using the Termidor. Dig a trench completely around the house pouring the treatment in. a lot of work. Was it worth saving the 600 dollars... I think so..

Comment

Originally posted by ldoyle View Post
                Any penetrations in the slap need to be drilled and treated ( water , sewer , shower , a/c lines ) If a slab has been added at any time ( porch , new addition , ) both slabs need to be drilled and treated on the side where they join together .
                How do I access the sewer penetration? I can foam under toilet but I wouldn't know how to access shower sewer penetration. My 2 bathrooms are back to back in the same wall so I can do one wall and get both of those. I would just be spraying and praying into the wall hoping it dripped down to where it penetrates. The kitchen sink and drain should be good if I go in under the sink.

Comment

I carefully drill through slab stopping when I break through slab . Your pipes will be under the ground but not deep , so just stop when you bust out . At least 2 or 3 holes as close to where they penetrate the slab and soak it real good . Spraying in the walls and hoping it will soak down where it`s needed is useless . Tubs / showers should have access to where the pipes come up .

Comment

you can write off the treatment. Take care of your investment.

Comment

Some things are worth paying a pro to do.

Comment

Originally posted by ldoyle View Post
                        I carefully drill through slab stopping when I break through slab . Your pipes will be under the ground but not deep , so just stop when you bust out . At least 2 or 3 holes as close to where they penetrate the slab and soak it real good . Spraying in the walls and hoping it will soak down where it`s needed is useless . Tubs / showers should have access to where the pipes come up .
                        Interesting do I drill down through the tile inside of the house or are you talking about the slab outside? I have a tile shower and there is probably a way I can pull off the water valve cover for the supply line but I am not sure what I can do around the drain.

Comment

You should have access to p trap under tub / shower which is where you will treat it . It sounds like may be you should hire a professional because if you don`t do it right you are wasting your time and money . You have to have a continuous barrier for treatment to work . ANY gap in barrier and they will find it and access your home there . And the cheapest price is not always a good deal . Get a written estimate explaining what they will be doing and call references or check BBB . Sometimes the cheap price is the guy who takes shortcuts or skips places , and like I said , if it`s not done right it`s a waste of time and MONEY . Your money . It`s your house and you should protect it .

Comment

I would like to add , I am not associated with or work for a pest control company . And I am not saying you cannot do it yourself . Do the research and find out how to do it and why or what makes it fail . Just remember , continuous barrier and any and all slab penetrations , and where any new or added slab meets the original slab . It is a lot of work , that's why someone who does it right cost so much . Good luck , which ever way you go .

Comment

Originally posted by txbassnaholic View Post
                              I did my own using the Termidor. Dig a trench completely around the house pouring the treatment in. a lot of work. Was it worth saving the 600 dollars... I think so..

I did the same. Received a quote for 2600. Amazon sells it for$56. Dug the trench and did the same. Seems to have worked. Time will tell. I have to repeat n 6 months, then Im ok with that because it's a lot cheaper than 2600.

Comment

Working...
                              X