Question on bow for daughter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question on bow for daughter?

She is 12 and is right handed on everything she does, but is left eye dominant. So would I get her a left handed or right handed bow?

Follow the eye

Comment

that's how I am. but I just had to train myself to shoot bows right handed and learn to close my left eye when shooting. it wasn't easy at first, but now its like second nature to me that when I draw back my left eye automatically closes.

Comment

if possible go to a shop that has the exact bow in left and right hand models, and just see which is easier for her to pull back.

Comment

Follow the eye. I'm a right righty lefty. Right handed for everything except shooting. I shoot rifles lefty, but bows righty. They are all I've ever had and my accuracy suffers for it.
          It'll be confusing at first, but she'll get the hang of doing things lefty and it will become second nature. My nephew is the same way, but I changed him to lefty as soon as I saw him aiming with his left eye while holding my Glock righty. He's a pretty good shot now. Went straight to a lefty bow and was grouping better than his dad in half the time.

Comment

Originally posted by gatorgar View Post
            Follow the eye. I'm a right righty lefty. Right handed for everything except shooting. I shoot rifles lefty, but bows righty. They are all I've ever had and my accuracy suffers for it.
            It'll be confusing at first, but she'll get the hang of doing things lefty and it will become second nature. My nephew is the same way, but I changed him to lefty as soon as I saw him aiming with his left eye while holding my Glock righty. He's a pretty good shot now. Went straight to a lefty bow and was grouping better than his dad in half the time.
            I do shoot guns left hand. that the only thing I do left hand

Comment

It got so bad for me, I'm now ambi. Rifle, pistol, bow I can do either or. Now ask me to throw something lefty, I'll look like a sissy girl, lol.
              Best advice is to follow the eye.

Comment

Thanks for advice

Comment

Follow the eye

Comment

Agreed, follow the eye. Any one can shoot either hand with some practice. She'll actually hold steadier with her dominant hand holding the riser. Tom Dorigatti talks a bunch about this in his Proactive Archery Book... but he had to switch from R to L.

Just get a bow that fits her well, and have her shoot up close to build confidence. Get her excited and enjoying it first, then worry about adding in challenging distances. Shooting balloons is great fun too!

Comment

Working...
                    X