Travel Trailer Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mikemorvan View Post
    After a couple of weeks of a debilitating case of paralysis by analysis i've gotten started. I had grand designs of having some steel framing welded for additional support. Then i priced steel. So much for that idea. I'm going decidedly lower tech. I believe i will still have plenty of structural support, without too much weight when i'm done. Anyway, i hit the frame with the sander and reprimed today. The next step will be to roll in, and secure steel "flashing" on the under side to protect the wood from the elements. More to follow...
    Great idea with the flashing, wich made me think, maybe tar paper between the flashing and wood to seal all the spaces... just an idea that popped in my head. Looks great so far! Can't wait to see it come together!

Comment

Originally posted by Bigyummy77 View Post
      Great idea with the flashing, wich made me think, maybe tar paper between the flashing and wood to seal all the spaces... just an idea that popped in my head. Looks great so far! Can't wait to see it come together!
      Felt is a great idea. I can get the material from scrap at work. I'll be doing that.

As much as i'd like to change the hubs, i have too much invested in the wheels i have, and there is NO after market for those type of wheels. At some point (before i hit the road) i'll have to get a spare rim in the same style. Oh well.

I hope to get more done tomorrow after mowing grass and changing shocks on the truck. Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

Comment

Originally posted by mikemorvan View Post
        Felt is a great idea. I can get the material from scrap at work. I'll be doing that.

As much as i'd like to change the hubs, i have too much invested in the wheels i have, and there is NO after market for those type of wheels. At some point (before i hit the road) i'll have to get a spare rim in the same style. Oh well.

I hope to get more done tomorrow after mowing grass and changing shocks on the truck. Thanks for the comments and suggestions.
        On mine I just painted on roofing tar. Easy and I figured if it sealed roofs it would be good enough for under the floor...

Comment

following

Comment

I blocked up the trailer and removed the wheels today. Makes it easier to work on. I goy the tin in the bottom. It's noy as tight as i'd like, but it's about as good as i can do by myself. I laid two of the floor joists in to give an idera of my plan. I'll have a center joist from front to back. I've got to build a rim around the perimeter of the frame. Then 2x6's will go from side to side. The area in front of the tires will cantilever about 12" past the main frame. It's just sitting there now. No lumber is fastened. When done, i'll have about a 4.5" floor space to insulate. And so it goes.

Oh yeah - i recommend wearing chain mail gloves when cutting sheet metal.
            Attached Files

Comment

im watching

Comment

Following

Comment

Goal for the weekend is to get subfloor done and ready to go vertical next weekend. So far today i've got the felt down for a vapor barrier, and laid in "floor joists". I added a couple of pieces of angle iron lagged into the frame for additional support. Side joists are lagged into the steel frame. More to follow...
                  Attached Files

Comment

Following!

Comment

Subfloor frame is almost done. Hopefully i can get a couple of last pieces cut and fastened tomorrow, and weather permitting, get the plywood on. We'll see...
                      Attached Files

Comment

looking good

Comment

Looks good - keep the pics coming

Comment

Making progress! I like it!

Comment

Im in !

Comment

keep pics going

Comment