Novice needing advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Novice needing advice

I've got an older bow. A Mathews Legacy solocam from like 2004 or so. Got it in a trade from a friend of mine 4 years ago and last year I finally got it out and started shooting it. I want to get into bow hunting and I have shot this bow enough to where I can hit a 3 inch circle from 20 yards fairly easily.

But, I have had some issues. At first, I couldn't get it sighted in and the arrows kept shooting sideways. Finally got it to shoot straight but I really don't know if it is actually tuned well. (Whatever that entails) I also had to replace the D loop and serving string. Did it myself and it has held up for a year now. Same friend said it is probably time to replace the bow strings and should probably get it tuned.

Here is my question. The archery shop in town charges $250 to get it tuned and get new strings.

Would you,

Keep this bow, get it tuned and restrung.

Or

Buy a new bow altogether.

I’d get a new archery shop

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
      x2

Comment

$250?? WHAT!!?? Take it somewhere else....I just had a new 60X Custom String Installed and a tune up and it cost me $77 with me providing the string and cables.

Comment

You might try a second opinion (different archery shop) on replacing the string
          Price seems high for a new string replacement
          That being said you might get string replaced and tuned since you want to get into bow hunting this would be a cheaper way to “try bow hunting” make sure it’s what you want to get into. If it is for you then look into a new bow later
          Hope this helps you on your decision

Comment

You can spend a little more money and get a very nice starter bow.

Comment

I had a Legacy, great bow! I'd probably still be shooting it if it hadn't been stolen! I agree with the others, that sounds a little steep for string replacement and tuning.

Comment

You can get a decent used bow for $250. WTH.
                Last edited by Chew; 01-19-2018, 03:38 PM.

Comment

The Legacy was (and still is) a REALLY good bow. I don't think you'll be able to get a better bow for $250. That said, you should be able to get new string and tuned for considerably less. I understand you're remote and probably don't have a lot of options, but it sounds like your shop might "cater" to oilfield types with money to blow.

Do you ever travel to other locations that might have a better shop (like CCR in Metroplex?) If so, take your bow to a reputable shop and get the work done for a fair price.

Alternatively, you can probably do it yourself with a nominal investment in a press and a little time here or watching tuning videos on YT.
                  My Flickr Photos

Comment

Id be very surprised if there isn't a member near Lubbock willing to help you out. If nothing else, head over to the equipment and tuning section and start asking questions, there's a ton of knowledge on this site.

I had a Legacy, great bow...still got it.....somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by bowsticker View Post
                      $250?? WHAT!!?? Take it somewhere else....I just had a new 60X Custom String Installed and a tune up and it cost me $77 with me providing the string and cables.
                      What did the string and cables cost you? $250 may not be that far off if they provide the string and cables. That being said I'd get another bow.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
                        This^^^^^^^

Comment

Go to Archery Shack in Lubbock. It’s a good place! I assume you’re talking about the tune up deal at Korbins with the custom strings and using the hooter shooter

Comment

Comment

Ain't nothing wrong with that legacy bow especially for a beginner shop around at different archery shops around you. get it re strung new cables and tuned you will be set if the archery shop knows what they are doing! Good luck

Comment

Working...
                              X