Hey Oilfield Guys!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Grumpy1911 View Post
    LMAO!!! I want some of the stuff you be smoking...
    That's why I make the big bucks son.....I get paid from the neck up!!

I never said not to save money, I never said it might not ever dry up.....I said it wasn't going to come to a screeching halt like it did in 1982....and unless you have a crystal ball, you're opinion is no different than mine.....an opinion.

Rig contractors got burned in the 80's.....not gonna happen again. Carry on.

Comment

Originally posted by RLB View Post

I never said not to save money, I never said it might not ever dry up.....I said it wasn't going to come to a screeching halt like it did in 1982....and unless you have a crystal ball, you're opinion is no different than mine.....an opinion.

Every salesman says this. I think it's just a pitch you forgot wasn't real

Hope you're right for my all of our sake

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
        Every salesman says this. I think it's just a pitch you forgot wasn't real

Hope you're right for my all of our sake
        Oh heck who knows.....we all may be doomed, but I tend to see the glass half full. But as you advised, I do have savings.....we live a VERY modest lifestyle. I've got two kids to go to Aggieland, that will be at least a 1/4 million each!!

Comment

everyone got burned in 2009....Rig Contractors were not immune to this....Google "rig count by year US Land"......rig count dropped by 1000 rigs from 2008 to 2009....when the rig count drops all the people on those rigs are out of work or are moved out of the US by their companies if they are skilled enough....but the rigs that are on the ground and not working are NOT getting paid for....I know that you believe that this cannot happen again...I wish you were correct but it is just not the case....

Comment

What I do is not DIRECTLY oil field but in the Houston area the majority of machining is for oil tools. When I first started in a machine shop in 1993 one of the first things the older guys told me was to make hay when the sun is shining because in this business the rain is ALWAYS coming. Heard many a story of the crash in '82. Had guys tell me they were working 16hr days 7 days a week then literally came in one day and got layed off. Never saw it coming. I have seen this in small degrees over the years, the most recent 2010 when some of our tools went down with the Deepwater Horizon. Millions of dollars worth of jobs literally in one day. They layed of 65% of the company. I was the only CNC Machinist left. It was scary but I would have been ok. I took the old guys words to heart nearly 20yrs ago and have lived with little debt. Im sure yall are tired of reading about it but I bought 10ac in 1999 and built a house with cash. Never have payed a penny on a mortgage. Land was payed off in 2009. Save money, pay off debt or you WILL regret it!

Comment

Originally posted by Tom View Post
              everyone got burned in 2009....Rig Contractors were not immune to this....Google "rig count by year US Land"......rig count dropped by 1000 rigs from 2008 to 2009....when the rig count drops all the people on those rigs are out of work or are moved out of the US by their companies if they are skilled enough....but the rigs that are on the ground and not working are NOT getting paid for....I know that you believe that this cannot happen again...I wish you were correct but it is just not the case....
              I can tell you for a fact there were rigs stacked in the grass that were being paid for. were all of them? I don't know.. but I could rattle off a dozen that were.. Just because it's stacked doesn't mean it's free.

you're right about the people that worked on them though. That was rough.. In the period of about 6 months, I saw 4 rounds of layoffs in the company I was working for. 1st one was a no brainer. 2nd one was easy. 3rd one stung, and the 4th one every person left in that office knew it could be them next.
              Last edited by kyle1974; 09-19-2014, 07:33 PM.

Comment

Ok.

Comment

Anyone that doesnt think their company can crash or the boom can end overnight is living in a fantasy land. It can come to a screeching halt with a quickness. Enron almost killed me, had it not been for a little nest egg i would have lost it all.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonesplitter View Post
                    Anyone that doesnt think their company can crash or the boom can end overnight is living in a fantasy land. It can come to a screeching halt with a quickness. Enron almost killed me, had it not been for a little nest egg i would have lost it all.
                    Sorry to hear that. I wasnt involved but it still makes me want to puke when I think about what you folks lost.

Comment

Bump...

Comment

Hey Oilfield Guys!!

I work for one of the largest oil/gas companies in the US. We are already going through reorganizing, aka early retirements and job reduction. It's already started for some producers/sellers. It'll trickle down soon. The company is trying to head it off at the pass, but reduction in job force is the first step, if prices keep falling then layoffs will be next.

Comment

Originally posted by doppelganger View Post
                          I work for one of the largest oil/gas companies in the US. We are already going through reorganizing, aka early retirements and job reduction. It's already started for some producers/sellers. It'll trickle down soon. The company is trying to head it off at the pass, but reduction in job force is the first step, if prices keep falling then layoffs will be next.
                          Yep it's coming. It may not be massive layoffs but changes are coming all around

Comment

Dad and I were just talking about all the one year old diesels with low miles that will be owned by the banks soon.

Comment

Hey Oilfield Guys!!

Originally posted by JeffJ View Post
                              Dad and I were just talking about all the one year old diesels with low miles that will be owned by the banks soon.

It'll be a great opportunity for us savers to upgrade the ol' truck.

Ah, who am I kidding. I'll stick with my 10 year old beater.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffJ View Post
                                Yea except for the lift kits, oversize tires, glass packs and programmers they put on them

Comment

Working...
                                X